Blurry visor, any solutions?

TrueSpartanMKVI

Purchased a MKVII foam helmet from a commissioner, while the paintjob and the overall look of the visor was great, but the visor was blurry from the first resin layer.

The visor was separated from two layers between resin transparent plastic and a tinted special plastic, I figured that the first layer which forms the pattern of the visor was so blurry.

Any solutions to make the visor more clear and translucent for better visibility?

Photos are attached for clarification between before and after wearing the helmet and also the helmet visor looks
1722242817518.png
1722242822349.png
1722242827952.png

Last edited:
Visibility with a visor is never going to be 100%, there’s always a bit of blurriness, especially when they've been chromed which looks like your visor has been. Chroming a visor makes it so people can’t look into it and see your face, but retaining viability from inside looking out. I’d be hesitant to change anything, your visor looks pretty good both inside and out!

Visibility with a visor is never going to be 100%, there’s always a bit of blurriness, especially when they've been chromed which looks like your visor has been. Chroming a visor makes it so people can’t look into it and see your face, but retaining viability from inside looking out. I’d be hesitant to change anything, your visor looks pretty good both inside and out!
Thanks for reply, here is the more detailed interior details if you are interested on the visor build since it uses two layers, one is chromed the other one is a clear resin plastic which creates the details of the visor exterior as you can see with my flashlight.

Also will sandpaper make the resin visor much worse which makes it more foggy? Just asking.
1722313335058.png
1722313340624.png
1722313344923.png

I do resin visors on my store. And they come out more clear than your first photo shows.

I'm having a little bit of trouble following what you're describing here:
The visor was separated from two layers between resin transparent plastic and a tinted special plastic, I figured that the first resin layer which forms the pattern of the visor was so blurry.

First: Are you sure its resin?
Second: How did you receive it? Was it finished and ready to install, or was it un-finished, un-sanded, un-polished and you had to do that?
If that really is a resin it looks like whomever 'finished' it didn't really finish it: Meaning it probably could have taken more sanding to a finer level and then true polishing.
Third: Can you better describe or photograph these layers and sandwiching your talking about?

1722316089690.png

yeah i got one like that and had to resand it but it was a resin visor and then the polishing wow a lot of work but the sgt. is right it looks like plastic layers by the cut..

yeah i got one like that and had to resand it but it was a resin visor and then the polishing wow a lot of work but the sgt. is right it looks like plastic layers by the cut..
1722317354779.png

1722317434693.png

Ok looking closely that cut was indeed looking like plastic and this is how he sandwiched the visors. The second pic is how I can barely fit a finger through between the visors and there is a little space gaps between the chromed visor and the clear visor which forms the visor pattern of the MKVII.

If that was a plastic visor then resanding with sandpaper can make it more clear or made it more foggy aka worsen the visibility?

View attachment 350678
View attachment 350680
Ok looking closely that cut was indeed looking like plastic and this is how he sandwiched the visors. The second pic is how I can barely fit a finger through between the visors and there is a little space gaps between the chromed visor and the clear visor which forms the visor pattern of the MKVII.

If that was a plastic visor then resanding with sandpaper can make it more clear or made it more foggy aka worsen the visibility?
Title has been re edited, apologies since it was a plastic visor, sorry for some misunderstanding

Last edited:
View attachment 350678
View attachment 350680

> If that was a plastic visor then resanding with sandpaper can make it more clear or made it more foggy aka worsen the visibility?
If its plastic then most time you're going to cause more scuffing that you polish out.
Practice/test on other clear plastic that you can probably find around the house - Clear 2L juice bottles... clear blister-pack packaging... etc.
In this case 1,500 grit is probably going to be considered "coarse" and 5,000+ grit the high side. Then polishing compound and a buffer. In the States "Maguires" makes a plastic polish for helicopter canopy bubbles that is also sold in auto parts stores for polishing motorcycle visors. But if you look into polishing compounds for things like clearing up headlights and so on that should put you in the right direction.
But really ... practice the F out of your technique first. Presumably you only have one visor so you don't want to use it as your test part and ruin it before you level up your polishing skills.

View attachment 350678
View attachment 350680

if it is plastic and you sand it it will most likely destroy the vison i have never been able to sand a plastic visor but im sure someone out there has. can you get the two apart with out breaking it if so do that and try buffing the outter one and see if that help then put them back together if it makes it better. just my two cents...

if it is plastic and you sand it it will most likely destroy the vison i have never been able to sand a plastic visor but im sure someone out there has. can you get the two apart with out breaking it if so do that and try buffing the outter one and see if that help then put them back together if it makes it better. just my two cents...
The visor was glued with hot glue aka hot melt adhesive... not sure if rubbing alcohol could safely get the two apart without breaking or damage the paint.

Also is hand polishing a good way to buffing for the plastic visor instead of machine polishing?

Also is hand polishing a good way to buffing for the plastic visor instead of machine polishing?

Well... Michelangelo hand polished glass into telescope lenses in the 1500's... So I'm sure its **theoretically** possible - But I sure wouldn't want to be the person doing it: I think my arm would fall off. And again - be sure to develop a technique and combination of polishing fluid and clothes on a test part first.

Keep in mind you can get polishing kits for your drill for dirt cheap on Amazon, Temu, AliExpress, etc.
1722339646289.png

So headlights polishing compounds are ok for plastic visors?

Also the visor was glued with hot glue aka hot melt adhesive, so can rubbing alcohol separate between the glued parts of the visor?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back