Builds By Baz - Full scale MKII Colonial Viper

How do you find such time to do the astonishing, over the top builds? You make my small builds look like child’s play. Amazing job so far this thing looks like it could dam well fly.

That's just it mate. Time. Time is everything. Without time, nothing exists. Without time, there is no start, no journey and no finish.

If I had the power over time, these builds would be done in a month. Most of my builds have historically taken years. As it is, once i have completed my day job and my responsibilities as a father, I get very little of this precious time to work on projects. It becomes a time management issue. With practice, the art of time management goes hand in hand with the actual art you are practicing.

If I get a day off, I use a lot of it for the noisy stuff with power tools etc. If I get a half hour free at the end of the working day, same same.
At night, after the kids are all in bed and the kitchen is clean, I go into the shed and do the quiet stuff like electronics and cutting stuff with blades, etc, but no hammering or power tools. The drill press and the lathe are the only two I can use that are quiet enough not to annoy the neighbours.

Failing that, nights are spent drawing and planning, researching the craft and setting up for the next phase.

All the while, life gets in the way and CONSTANTLY interrupts the plan, especially when I'm on a roll. Frustrating, but another couple of big skills that have to be learned, practiced and developed are patience and determination.

Thanks to the guys on OCAU, I was able to find a suitable dimmer for the AMPEX panel, (AKA weapon systems and fire control) and light it. As I couldn't source an AMPEX panel, I had to scratch build it from wood and plastic. Looks OK I suppose.

Thanks to a mate of mine, Andrew W, who replicated the gauges and digital dispay for me to print off on A4 paper and put lights behind it.

Full build here Mk II Viper cockpit interior fit-out.

2HzVJ3L.jpg

stspsIO.jpg

TvVtcG5.jpg

7sZNqFS.jpg

Km0BvX6.jpg

Time has been difficult to juggle, but I managed to get a bit of work in on the project here and there.

I've started making link for the 30mm cannon ammunition so I can make up two belts of 15 for each wing.

BhUqmKv.jpg

mUZlDkL.jpg

IcnHmjZ.jpg

1WTeHbl.jpg

JrA5iFk.jpg

OPM2K1G.jpg

I've also finished bringing the interior walls up to the window sill so now I can bring the outer hull skin all the way up to meet them for an air-seal with the canopy frame.

Iguw91V.jpg

I've also started the ejector seat configuration, starting with a spacer box underneath to raise it and provide a base to build the rest of the unit from. I also cut the top of the seat off as they did with the original prop to allow for the headrest and integrated systems in the top of the seat.

dCwOEdr.jpg

6oMQOss.jpg

My shaping press worked for a few, but then it started distorting and I was constantly having to bash it back into shape. So, I went back to the drawing board and strengthened it with plate steel and welded another pipe inside the 40mm pipe to stop it from squashing. The results are much more consistent.

v8dVlCC.jpg

7jpaFoP.jpg

vSrZkjC.jpg

I wanted to at least make some attempt to make the back end of the rounds look like they have primers in them, so I used a 20mm spade bit to drill a hole and countersunk ring, then bashed in clout nails to be ground and polished later.

Z5PMZnm.jpg

qKXx6d0.jpg

gv4uIiJ.jpg

kQIoNk0.jpg

sFrLeAU.jpg

I also changed from rubbish pine to a hardwood made from half a dozen old rotten tree stakes. After sorting through them and cutting off the rotten half, I salvaged enough from the rubbish pile to turn a few more bullets. They turn much nicer.

pm7A8Lb.jpg

Full story on the ammo here Mk II Viper munitions

I would not want to get hit even by a glancing blow by one of these......scary looking ammo....AWESOME!!!!

Back to working on the cockpit. These instrument side shelves require careful fabrication. Slowing down and actually bought dressed timber this time, instead of rough ply.

The shelves in the screen-used prop were vacuformed and textured plastic. I am thinking I can achieve the same using timber and sanding it smooth, then using hammer-finish paint to achieve similar texture.

smoY1Fv.jpg

K7UErXZ.jpg

3uorbmm.jpg

View attachment 252689 Caption should say ........ Eh, I dabble

A dabbler I am... :D

After a colour correction, I moved onto the port side instrument shelf.

8MFEX8Z.jpg

vdN345I.jpg

CoT1bpa.jpg

yINBrCW.jpg

evdwL55.jpg

Some tweaking to do now to make the starboard shelf fit. There's a former block in the way of one of the protruding instruments. Job for another day. I think I might even have a little sleep tonight.

KNcqTum.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back