Builds By Baz - Full scale MKII Colonial Viper

Starting the ejector seat configuration with a spacer box underneath to raise it and provide a base to build the rest of the unit from. I also cut the top of the seat off as they did with the original prop to allow for the headrest and integrated systems in the top of the seat. The padded cover just gets folded back and stitched behind the seat to dress it off.

4eqjPDW.jpg

Building the sides and top was tricky and a bit of trail and error. I only really had three half-decent photos to work from at different angles, but they were difficult to translate into shape and size with such limited views and details. I made a frame out of plywood which was pretty basic to back the seat and hug it's contours. Then I started from the top, as the pictures I have are of it are best from there. Working my way down, it was a bit of improvisation with limited materials, but I managed to find a happy approximation.

Again, I found it a big money saver to use cardboard first to freehand the shapes and fit, then transfer to half inch plywood once I had established the form. I'll add in small details later, but that's the main construction finished. It was quite a challenge.

oFNhyBc.jpg

0fb5dpW.jpg

5s0PDrZ.jpg

dqhSpdv.jpg

Full story here >> Mk II Viper cockpit interior fit-out.

This is probably where the majority of the weight is going to be.......I recall hearing stories about the original series and that the vipers had a tendency of tilting backwards because the landing legs were too close together and too far forward so be careful.

This is probably where the majority of the weight is going to be.......I recall hearing stories about the original series and that the vipers had a tendency of tilting backwards because the landing legs were too close together and too far forward so be careful.

Duly noted. Thanks mate. Nothing a good counterweight wouldn't fix. :D

Baz.

Just giving my knowledge......and showing my age......
you don't have to be old to know original Battlestar Galactica (you just have to know what shows were good). I'm sure I'm at least 2 decades younger than you but I've watched all the original show episodes about 5 times. Still haven't finished Galactica 1980 though.
Modules 4 & 5, main engine block.

Starting behind the cockpit firewall and continuing for another 3 metres, is the last parts of the fuselage that the three main engines will attach to. Again, I am using plywood formers, spaced and supported on a rigid welded steel frame.

View attachment 253314

View attachment 253315

View attachment 253316

View attachment 253317
Looking nice, exited to see how you handle the back section.

Last edited:
My anonymous benefactor in the States has just made me feel like a kid again!!

The genuine fabric for the Viper Pilot flight suit is amazing. Nothing like what I imagined. So glad I didn't try to source a near enough alternative in Australia, just guessing from photos. Every photo I've seen of it looks different. It is made by Sommers and hasn't been in production for years. It is over $50USD a yard but for them to make it again, they require a minimum order of 250 yards.

So privileged and blessed to get the four yards I need for the flight suit. For the cost of postage. Not only that, he has included some of the materials for the vest and some samples of the original material that can no-longer be sources, but I can use these to find alternatives at Spotlight, Lincraft and other such fabric stores.

He's even gone to the trouble to trace out the entire pattern for me.

Totally blown away by such kindness.

Full story on flight-suit here. Viper Pilot flight suit

UAY8ZoN.jpg

pmMYvz4.jpg

hi0GdtF.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back