clay cracking help

Status
Not open for further replies.

exhalemike

just wondering how to keep your clay sculpts from cracking. i currently have a clay sculpture of an army of two mask on a foam head and it cracks about every day. i fix the cracks (which looks horrible) and then new crack appear the following day, its really frustraiting. any tips would be appriciated.

59669163516780803815019.jpg

37957163516892806615019.jpg

37916163517116812215019.jpg

well first of all it looks like a good start and second the reason why its cracking is because its moving around too much, probably because its not sticking to the foam head well, I dont know how to fix it but if you could find a way to stop it from moving so much itd fix the problem :D

Do you have anything keeping it attached to the foam other than surface tension? I would stick toothpicks through the clay into the foam, just to give the clay something to grab to. Also, keep it moist.

i have some experience with clay, first off the clay will crack if you add too much water on it. it also might be YOU NEED TO BAKE IT, if it takes to long to dry the clay will slowly shrink, but your foam head wont so, the clay gets tighter and tighter until some parts give way and crack. but the way the clay looks slightly white and smoothed in the way you have it: you smoothed it with too much water.

but the way what clay is that, is it the Della robbia or something like that.

Are you using oil based clay? Water based is going to cause problems if you cant keep it damp/pliable and stop it from drying out all the time.

If you are using oil based, try sticking some nails or screws 99% of the way into the styrene armature so the clay has something to grip onto.

hhmm this gives me alot to think about now. i'd rather not bake the clay becuz i have 0 experience with baking clay and i could see that getting messy. i'm not sure what brand of clay it was (the cheap stuff from hobbie lobbie) but it is water based. would oil be better?

there you go! that explains the cracking, the water based clay is drying out and causing cracking because the second it moves at all itll just break. What you should do it get one of those mist sprayers for gardening and spray a fine mist of water onto the sculpt before leaving it for the day, also dampen a paper towel and lay it ontop of the sculpt, finally put a layer of cling wrap ontop of the damp paper aswell just to keep the moisture in. This should keep it moist and stop the cracking! :D good luck!

Use oil based clay on forms any thing else will crack as it drys. That said, Oil based clay is also reusable so it worth the investment.

just be carefull not to use too much water or it will crack too, keep it DAMP but when it gets WET use a paper towel and get some off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back