Props Custom Sniper Rifle Wip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xtreme TACTICS 101

UNSC1.png

Okay, due to the fact that I have little to no chance of finishing my Weta ODST in time for Halloween, I am taking my backup rout. A ODST Sniper.

Due to the great luck my Uncle is a Canadian Forces Sniper, I was lucky enough for him to teach me everything he knew about how to make a ghillie suit. We started working on it about a month ago, and finished it roughly 2 ½ weeks ago. Its up to Canadian Forces specs with the exception that its base is a German Flectarn (not the standard CADPAT TW or Arid) BDU (acquired from a German soldier during one of my Uncle‘s Training exercises over seas), and there is no padding/canvas on the chest.

DSCN1631.jpg

DSCN1633.jpg

DSCN1634.jpg

In addition to that, I am working on a Halo 3 Sniper Rifle made from Cardboard, Resin, Bondo and a few other materials. So far, I have the blueprints finished (scaled to the proper size) and ready to be cut out and traced onto cardboard.

DSCN1635.jpg

I will also be making a drop-leg holster for my Link M6G pistol (painted and weathered by me).

DSCN1592.jpg

DSCN1591.jpg

DSCN1589.jpg

DSCN1588.jpg

Tell me what you all think. I will most likely have this whole thing finished by Halloween.

Wish me luck, and I will have a update on the Sniper Rifle soon.

Cheers!

Can't wait to see some progress on the Sniper rifle, good luck!

EDIT: Also, that M6G looks, great. Did you build it?

Okay, I have gotten most of the main body of the sniper rifle made from cardboard. Only some basic details and some added extreme details are needed from this point.

I am basing the sniper rifle off of the Halo 3 Sniper rifle, and the sniper rifle in this painting.

ODSTsniperpainting2.jpg

Here is how far I have gotten with my Sniper Rifle.

DSCN1639.jpg

DSCN1645.jpg

DSCN1644.jpg

Butt stock detail.

DSCN1640.jpg

Tell me what you thing. Constructive criticism welcome.

Cheers!

I'm jealous of you cardboard weapon making skills. :pJK

Looks great! I like the weathering on the magnum. reminds me of mine.

Looking forward to seeing the final build. I'm assuming your using the same method with it as you did with your BR? Keep up the good work!

pooper said:

Looking forward to seeing the final build. I'm assuming your using the same method with it as you did with your BR? Keep up the good work!

Yep, I'm making the Sniper Rifle the same way I have made my BR, and the same way I make every weapon. Its the only way I know, and I believe, judging by your and many other peoples feedback, have gotten fairly good at it.

More updates to come.

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
Xtreme TACTICS 101 said:
Yep, I'm making the Sniper Rifle the same way I have made my BR, and the same way I make every weapon. Its the only way I know, and I believe, judging by your and many other peoples feedback, have gotten fairly good at it.

More updates to come.

Cheers!

Hey now....no need to toot your own horn!!:p Just kidding brother. I think it looks great so far. Nice painting for reference as well. Keep it up!!

You're wasting your talent on crappy materials. Get some styrene or a couple sheets of ABS. Hell, even MDF would be a suitable material to use for a scratch built weapon.

pooper said:

Me too, but only in a good way :lol

Yodajammies said:
You're wasting your talent on crappy materials. Get some styrene or a couple sheets of ABS. Hell, even MDF would be a suitable material to use for a scratch built weapon.

No he's not. Besides, one of the things about being in this hobby is each individual's right to choose which material(s) they're most comfortable working with, and in my opinion he does very well with the cardboard.

If he wants to work with cardboard, then so be it. He's done a bang-up job with it on all his other weapon builds. Just add a little resin (to harden) and bondo (to smooth it over), and one won't even be able to tell this was made using materials different from others' weapon builds.

It could also be a matter of not being able to afford a wide variety of materials for his projects. Most people don't have an awful lot of money to throw around right now, and this hobby can get kind of expensive.

@Xtreme: Damn, man! I'm liking what you've done with it so far. Very clean build, and I like how you're doing a somewhat different interpretation of this piece. This has even got me going back to the SR schematics I drew up to draft a second revised set with the surface details as shown in the pic you posted :D

Daaang, that looks real good. I say you should indeed be working with plastic sheeting instead of this stuff by now, too. But hey, whatever works for you! I'm sure you've got your reasons. Nice to see another take on the rifle, I do like that concept painting. What are you using for the barrel, some length of pipe?

Flyerfye said:
Daaang, that looks real good. I say you should indeed be working with plastic sheeting instead of this stuff by now, too. But hey, whatever works for you! I'm sure you've got your reasons. Nice to see another take on the rifle, I do like that concept painting. What are you using for the barrel, some length of pipe?

Piping can be kind of expensive, depending on the type you get, and also difficult to cut through if you don't have the proper tools for the job. I think it would be more cost-effective if he simply bought himself a cheap broom or something and use the handle from that. Should be able to find some with either the wooden or ribbed metal handle.

I'd go with the ribbed metal handle one myself, as that would have more the correct look of the in-game model's barrel. Would also be lighter in weight than the wooden handle. But maybe that's just me :plol

SPARTAN II said:
Piping can be kind of expensive, depending on the type you get, and also difficult to cut through if you don't have the proper tools for the job. I think it would be more cost-effective if he simply bought himself a cheap broom or something and use the handle from that. Should be able to find some with either the wooden or ribbed metal handle.

I'd go with the ribbed metal handle one myself, as that would have more the correct look of the in-game model's barrel. Would also be lighter in weight than the wooden handle. But maybe that's just me :plol

Very good idea. I was thinking PVC, but it's too bendy, really.

Well, PVC piping would be another good choice in that it's also very light, and so wouldn't weigh down the front end of the SR. But, as you said, it can be kinda "bendy", so obviously he would want to go with something more rigid.

Feel free to chime in here at any time regarding this, Xtreme :lol

Yodajammies said:

SPARTAN II said:
Me too, but only in a good way :lol

No he's not. Besides, one of the things about being in this hobby is each individual's right to choose which material(s) they're most comfortable working with, and in my opinion he does very well with the cardboard.

If he wants to work with cardboard, then so be it. He's done a bang-up job with it on all his other weapon builds. Just add a little resin (to harden) and bondo (to smooth it over), and one won't even be able to tell this was made using materials different from others' weapon builds.

It could also be a matter of not being able to afford a wide variety of materials for his projects. Most people don't have an awful lot of money to throw around right now, and this hobby can get kind of expensive.

@Xtreme: Damn, man! I'm liking what you've done with it so far. Very clean build, and I like how you're doing a somewhat different interpretation of this piece. This has even got me going back to the SR schematics I drew up to draft a second revised set with the surface details as shown in the pic you posted :D

Like SPARTAN II said, I could be low on funds, which I am, HIGHLY. I'm luckey enough to be abled to pull one hell of a prop out of my (pardon my English) ass while only spending $20.00-$30.00 on it. MDF isn't a option due to lack of tools, and it being expencive for myself.

Flyerfye said:

Plastic sheets would be great, but again, its too costly.

SPARTAN II said:

Flyerfye said:
Very good idea. I was thinking PVC, but it's too bendy, really.

SPARTAN II said:
Well, PVC piping would be another good choice in that it's also very light, and so wouldn't weigh down the front end of the SR. But, as you said, it can be kinda "bendy", so obviously he would want to go with something more rigid.

Feel free to chime in here at any time regarding this, Xtreme :lol

I was thinking avout the broom handle as well. If I can find one that matches my needs, I will use it. If not, then cardboard, a wooden dowel, and some resin and bondo work will do just fine for me

I will update as soon as I can. I'm just working out the handles detail. Its getting to be a real pain.

I will also be desinging my own scope mount. i have a basic desing, but I will reliece it later.

Just continue the much appreciated prase, and I will keep working.

Cheers!

Xtreme TACTICS 101 said:
[...]

I was thinking avout the broom handle as well. If I can find one that matches my needs, I will use it. If not, then cardboard, a wooden dowel, and some resin and bondo work will do just fine for me

I will update as soon as I can. I'm just working out the handles detail. Its getting to be a real pain.

I will also be desinging my own scope mount. i have a basic desing, but I will reliece it later.

Just continue the much appreciated prase, and I will keep working.

Cheers!

BOLD # 1: Great mind thinks alike, huh? :D

BOLD # 2: What sort of problem are you having working out the grip details? I'd be willing to offer any assistance I can from my end, if you like ;)

BOLD # 3: Well, it's much-deserved praise, buddy. You do some my-tee fine work with cardboard :cool

Well, I have the the handle scaled and drafted:

10-08-2009032322PM.jpg

(Its not the greatest draft, but I end up cutting it up anyway, so it doesn't have to be perfact in every way)

Now, I am having a problem figuring out how I am going to make this part of the handle (circled in red) from cardboard.

M6CSOCOM1-1.jpg

I may have to do that whole area with bondo work. But If I can figure a way out on how I can do it without a ton of bondo, that would be great.

Any help given would be great.

Ah, I see. Well, one way I can think of doing it would be to make it in two parts so that you get at least part of the angle/curve needed. Then, just round it out with a little bit of bondo and sand smooth. If that makes sense :rolleyes lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back