DragonCon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Current list of guests: (Trust me there will be a lot more, there were over 400 last year)

Authors:
Kevin J. Anderson Laurell K. Hamilton » Sherrilyn Kenyon
Rebecca Moesta » Mike Resnick » Margaret Weis

Film & Television:
Gigi Edgley » Louise Fletcher David Franklin
» Richard Hatch » Lance Henriksen Virginia Hey
James Randi » Kevin Sorbo

Events:

Each of the over thirty Programing Tracks (discussion panels and groups) are like mini-convention all their own. With over 3,500 hours of track programs packed into one weekend, there is sure to be something happening somewhere!

A complete listing of each and every track, as well as links to each individual Track's website, will be posted soon.

7th Annual Dragon*Con Parade

Director: Jan Price

Every year hundreds and hundreds… and even more hundreds of Dragon*Con members gather in the early Saturday morning hours, decked out as their favorite alter egos and ready to take center stage on Peachtree Street in downtown Atlanta for the largest event at Dragon*Con - our annual parade! Thousands more line the parade route to be a part of all the fun and to cheer on their favorites.

Join us in 2008!

We welcome individuals and groups, large or small, wearing costumes which represent the wide variety of interests and activities found at Dragon*Con. The parade becomes more interesting every year as it grows in size and diversity. We invite you to sing, perform, role play, interact with each other and your audience, pass out candy or other goodies to the onlookers along the parade route. Banners, flags, streamers, floats, decorated vehicles, music (live and recorded) and other noisemakers are allowed and encouraged. Show off your alter ego! Be creative! Have fun!

It's quick and easy to become part of our parade.

Check out the Yahoo D*C Parade group and use the handy online registration database there, or contact us by emailing here. Because of the planning that’s required for this event, we ask that you sign-up for the parade before Dragon*Con 2008 begins.

Plan to be there Saturday, August 30 as participant or onlooker. The parade starts promptly at 10 AM. Our parade route follows Peachtree Street from Woodruff Park (at Auburn Avenue) to the Hyatt, continues down Baker Street and ends at the Marriott.

Fan Tables, Band Tables, & Concourses

Director: Paul W. Cashman

The Hyatt Concourse is where our performing bands' tables, contest registrations, Information Services' main desk, and acoustic performances are located. The Marriott Concourse, will once again be home to fan clubs and convention tables, and freebie tables for flyers and other giveaways.

Guest of Honor Awards Banquet

The 2008 Dragon*Con Awards Banquet will be held on Saturday, August 30, 2008 at 8:00 p.m. in the Regency VI-VII Ballroom. Tickets are $35.00 and may be purchased by calling the Dragon*Con office, mailing in the registration form, or ordering online through our store. Seating is limited, so please visit our Members page to learn how to order yours!

Theatrical, Musical, & Radio Performances

Each year we host at least a dozen performances from bands who've ranged from light pop (Apollo Smile) to Goth and world-music (The Cruxshadows, Voltaire, The Changelings) to the heavy (The Misfits, Godhead), and performance groups such as The Crossed Swords and the Atlanta Radio Theatre Company. We'll also feature other late-night entertainment such as DJ dances, and nightly drum-circle/jam session/dances.

If you are a Theatrical, Musical, or Radio Performer and would like to know how to be considered for a slot at Dragon*Con please check out our Band/Performer Submission Guidelines.

Tournament & Open Gaming

Director: Dave Cody

Extensive Tournament and Open Gaming schedules for all types of games, including role-play, board and miniature gaming; live-action role-playing; collectible card game tournaments and trading area; computer gaming.

Please click here for more detailed information.

Video & Film Rooms

Director: Michael "Doc" Allgood

Dragon*Con will feature two video rooms: one devoted to mainstream movies and the other for Japanese Animation.

MAIN VIDEO

The Main Video Room shows some of the latest movies you might have seen, and some you might never have known existed.

ANIME VIDEO

Dragon*Con's Anime video room shows the latest animated titles from Japan, and some classics you might have overlooked, available subtitled or dubbed in English. This year, we are proud to announce the return of Anime Music Videos - see the latest AMVs every night from Midnight till 6:00 a.m.! As always, seating in the Anime Room is limited and is first come first serve!

Walk of Fame

Director: Tom Gennaro

This area, located in the Marriott Marquis in 2007, is where most of our media guests will be signing autographs. Please note that, at their sole discretion, guests may charge for their autographs in this area. (A listing of free autograph sessions, primarily for literary guests, will be posted as we get closer to the convention.)

The 2008 Walk of Fame layout map will be up closer to the show.

About Atlanta

Welcome to the City of Atlanta, home of Dragon*Con! Getting around the city, even for locals, can be a confusing task. To help out all of our visitors, we have included a Travel & Transportation Guide which includes directions on how to get to the convention by plane, train, automobile and bus.

And since many people combine Dragon*Con with vacation time both before and after the convention, we've assembled a small collection of links about the city and some of its points of interest.

* The Atlanta Convention and Visitors' Bureau
* Georgia Aquarium
* The World of Coca-Cola
* Underground Atlanta
* Six Flags Over Georgia

Jaxjags2100 said:
Kevin Sorbo
NO WAY! HAHA, I used to watch all the Hercules: LegAdv. when I was younger. I was huge into mythology as a youngin'. Still am a little I guess. That would be awesome to meet him.

Thanks, Doc and Jax for the info. This helps greatly.

-Magnum

Last edited by a moderator:
Dreads said:
I am asking one of my friends right now if she would be interested in it she went as Andra form reboot last year and would fit the form or Cortona well so i will work on it this weekend when i see her. just one question though what would be best for her to wear a blue body suyit with drawn on letters and lines. she may ask what she would have to wear.

I'd suggest a knit material. Either a light blue cotton blend Lycra suit, or a light blue spandex body suit with a mock or full turtle neck, possibly gloves and socks. You can do the Shape detailing with T-shirt paints or acrylic paints. The only draw back is you'd have the draw the shapes on her as she wears the suit. As for footwear, she could do some kind of sandal or ballet slipper shoe.

Skullcandy Girl said:
I'd suggest a knit material. Either a light blue cotton blend Lycra suit, or a light blue spandex body suit with a mock or full turtle neck, possibly gloves and socks. You can do the Shape detailing with T-shirt paints or acrylic paints. The only draw back is you'd have the draw the shapes on her as she wears the suit. As for footwear, she could do some kind of sandal or ballet slipper shoe.

For painting you might also see if your local hobby store has the blown-on tie-dye colors, you can stencil and air brush them on this a cheap model car airbursh set.

thanks skull candy girl and spase i asked her she said she let me know. she was okay with, till i showed he a picture and she said you think i could wear that and i said yes so she said she would think about it. So i will keep you in informed.

Dreads said:
thanks skull candy girl and spase i asked her she said she let me know. she was okay with, till i showed he a picture and she said you think i could wear that and i said yes so she said she would think about it. So i will keep you in informed.

Awesome! And Your welcome ;D

Dreads said:

Anytime... Anytime, glad some people will be branching out, no one wants to see me in blue spandex afterall.

WE HAVE A TABLE ! ! !

Thanks, I'll add you to the list of reserved tables at the Marriott. There's no guarantee that you'll be near the 501st, but the earlier you arrive to get your table, the higher the odds would be.

--
Paul W. Cashman

Rob

I will get there a day befor the con starts to get the table. We are moving wright along.

Rob said:
WE HAVE A TABLE ! ! !

Thanks, I'll add you to the list of reserved tables at the Marriott. There's no guarantee that you'll be near the 501st, but the earlier you arrive to get your table, the higher the odds would be.

--
Paul W. Cashman

Rob

I will get there a day befor the con starts to get the table. We are moving wright along.

You guys I know there will be celeb at the Con, but the celebs I want to meet are people like Sean, Rob, Skull Candy, Spase, Link, Adam, and all the other 405 that wil be there. The people that help me, and this community are all the WHY I will go in the firstplace.

Thanks for it all, thank you all. I'm so pumped!!!!!!!

ps Sean I'm dying to see your suit up close!

DoC ByTeS said:
You guys I know there will be celeb at the Con, but the celebs I want to meet are people like Sean, Rob, Skull Candy, Spase, Link, Adam, Rob and all the other 405 that wil be there. The people that help me, and this community are all the WHY I will go in the firstplace.

Thanks for it all, thank you all. I'm so pumped!!!!!!!

ps Sean I'm dying to see your suit up close!

Wow

Rob

***********UPDATE***************

For those who have not booked a hotel yet, Dragon*Con has added a fourth host hotel, I would book there if you can. It'll be close and it's fairly discounted considering how close you are to the con. Even if you've already booked elsewhere rebook here and cancel your other reservations because the closer you are the easier it will be for you to get around. Traveling in downtown Atlanta can get crazy and expensive.

Rates are as follows:

Sheraton Atlanta Hotel $149 Single/Double
$179 Suite/Club Level

*NOTE: The Sheraton does not currently have room codes. You must however, mention you are with Dragon*Con in order to receive these rates.

Here's a link to a map of downtown Atlanta to give you a better idea how close the Sheraton is to the other 3 host hotels.

http://www.sheratonatlantahotel.com/pdfs/Downtown_map.pdf

Rob said:
I will see if we can march at the con. How many and what we need to do. To day

Rob

Umm I'm not sure how many we need to be able to be in the parade but we definitely have quite a few people going and willing to walk the parade route.

Alright Rob I've done some research. There's two ways we can register but I believe the easiest way would be to just email parade@dragoncon.org

or

Telephone: 770-909-0115
(M-F 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. EST)

Every year hundreds and hundreds… and even more hundreds of Dragon*Con members gather in the early Saturday morning hours, decked out as their favorite alter egos and ready to take center stage on Peachtree Street in downtown Atlanta for the largest event at Dragon*Con - our annual parade! Thousands more line the parade route to be a part of all the fun and to cheer on their favorites.

Join us in 2008!

We welcome individuals and groups, large or small, wearing costumes which represent the wide variety of interests and activities found at Dragon*Con. The parade becomes more interesting every year as it grows in size and diversity. We invite you to sing, perform, role play, interact with each other and your audience, pass out candy or other goodies to the onlookers along the parade route. Banners, flags, streamers, floats, decorated vehicles, music (live and recorded) and other noisemakers are allowed and encouraged. Show off your alter ego! Be creative! Have fun!

It's quick and easy to become part of our parade.

Check out the Yahoo D*C Parade group and use the handy online registration database there, or contact us by emailing here. Because of the planning that’s required for this event, we ask that you sign-up for the parade before Dragon*Con 2008 begins.

Plan to be there Saturday, August 30 as participant or onlooker. The parade starts promptly at 10 AM. Our parade route follows Peachtree Street from Woodruff Park (at Auburn Avenue) to the Hyatt, continues down Baker Street and ends at the Marriott.

Rob said:
That way I am call them... more to come

Rob what day and time are you arriving? I'll be there Friday early afternoon time frame. If anyone is coming Thursday night it would be best so that we can claim a table close to the 501st.

In addition, I just checked the registry for the parade and the 501st already registered. I can register us on the site no problem. Just need a contact name and email for whoever wants to be the POC

Angela Mash

Email:
bfett333@shaw.ca

Type of Costume:
501st Legion

Number in Group:
250 - 300

Will you have any vehicles in parade:
No

Will you be carrying any banners or flags:
Yes

Are you planning any performances or music:
No

Group website:
www.501st.com

Since i got my stuff all set for D*con and i will bet here Thursday night i can take care of helping getting a table or i can be Point of contact if you guys want just let me know and i will pass on all the information you need form me.

Jaxjags2100 said:
Rob what day and time are you arriving? I'll be there Friday early afternoon time frame. If anyone is coming Thursday night it would be best so that we can claim a table close to the 501st.

In addition, I just checked the registry for the parade and the 501st already registered. I can register us on the site no problem. Just need a contact name and email for whoever wants to be the POC

Angela Mash

Email:
bfett333@shaw.ca

Type of Costume:
501st Legion

Number in Group:
250 - 300

No

Yes

No

www.501st.com
Wednesday Thursday When they will let us in.

Robert B. Westerfield

Email
westerfieldstudios@yahoo.com

Number in Group:
20 - 30

Halo Costumes like the 501st Legion

Yes Erlictric powered Ghost

No

Yes