Props Duke's 3D print Halo Props (What to expect from 3D)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, yeah Kris

you are most likely going to be everyone's go-to guy.
the prices and quality of your prints are unbeatable...
Hope lots of people follow with your 'sales method'
it Definitely could save us a lot of money.

BTW: I tried your print method and learned that your method turns out really nice (used PLA instead though)

I also learned that I may need to recalibrate my machine soon.
it seems I've learned a lot of things today.:D

You give me faaaar too much credit.
The only reason I know a couple of small things is because I've build all-but-one of my machines myself. And, and this is probably the most important part, I'm not afraid to toss print attempts as "failed" if they do not please me, be it structural or in terms of quality. The only way to get ahead is not to be content with what you have now, but saying "I can do THAT" whenever I see a printquality that is out-of-my-reach.

Self critisism is the key. Finding someone who's willing to share info is the next step. With the first thing, I can't help. With the second one ? I'll never withhold info, neither will I advise you to do things which I haven't tried and tested myself.

If you are THINKING you need to recallibrate, you can be SURE you must. :D What kind of machine do you have ? Certainly Delta's can be realy ugly to callibrate, but there are a couple of really brilliant tools out there which can put you on the correct track in no time. Callibrating Cartesians is a lot more straightforward, certainly the single extruder ones.

Heh, sorry. It IS the flashforge CREATOR Pro.
My First and only machine.

I want another, that I can build;)(I'm the same way in terms of building stuff:D) But it may not happen for awhile
any recommendations of kits?

Ha, ask that again when you're ready for it.
The market is so dynamic and I "do" new machines pretty regulary. :)

I've done a couple of kit builds for friends and small companies. I've had good experiences with most of them, brands like Micromake (the newer ones at least), Flying Bear (yeah i know, the names of these machines), Jennyprinter (essentially a near perfect Ulti 2 clone) and Zonestar. RenRen3D is also pretty good.

The M7 currently approaching completion comes from a RenRen3D Pro series.

Within this and six months, those names are probably replaced by the brands I've used to build machines for other people at that time point.

That's the spirit !

Also a bit late, but I promised I'd do this : the excellent gun model was originally made by Mr. Martyn Lee Ball way back in 2010 already, and I found it on the 3Dmax forum here http://www.maxforums.org/threads/halo_reach_m45_tactical_shotgun/0001.aspx . So Mr. Ball, in the odd chance you still read this stuff, I tip my helmet and I thank you for a job well done !!

Now I'm planning to do a better, more advanced version with less compromises in terms of printquality and details which were introduced not by a lack of quality of Mr. Balls design but because a lot of shortcoming in terms of printerknowledge when I made a 3D print of this one. Certain stuff (for example, the stock end) could have been done SO much better in retrospect, but to my defense : this was my first big print, and I was already happy it came out somehow resembling a M45 and not a generic plastic rod or whatever. :)

And I was able to put a smile on Duke's face when I was making this one, which was, and always will be my main objective : putting smiles on peoples' faces. :)

Hi Kaween,

Would you mind posting a link to where to find Jeffery Tabben's ODST helmet 3d file? I couldn't find it in the file library or googling it. There is a maker lab near me, so I'm interested in possibly using some 3D printed items to my armour build.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: After a little more reading, I found another thread and found this:
https://www.myminifactory.com/object/halo-3-odst-helmet-wearable-cosplay-17614

I hadn't realized that Jeffery and "DutchProps" were the same person at first.

Okay Frist Off I did not see this thread of your as previously thought, second this is friggen awesome, and third I need to get a 3d printer... That shotgun looks amazing! Are you still going to make it a pump action? Also the placement of the UNSC symbol on the handle looks awesome! Now I'm really going to pick your brain in this weeks game.

Okay Frist Off I did not see this thread of your as previously thought, second this is friggen awesome, and third I need to get a 3d printer...

Blatantly stealing the thread. :D (I guess Chris will forgive me hehehe)
The M45 model has undergone some addiditons, corrections and improvements since this first incarnation (it is FFA number 10 in the FFA series) which Chris used here.

I've received several people asking for the possibility of creating the pump action within the model itself. So many in fact that okay, some time in the near future, I will modify the existing model into having the basic elements to have the pump action from the design level already. If it takes too long, feel free to contact me when it's starting to itch. :D

The M45 model has undergone some addiditons, corrections and improvements since this first incarnation (it is FFA number 10 in the FFA series) which Chris used here.

I've received several people asking for the possibility of creating the pump action within the model itself. So many in fact that okay, some time in the near future, I will modify the existing model into having the basic elements to have the pump action from the design level already. If it takes too long, feel free to contact me when it's starting to itch. :D

Apologies are in order I misread the first words of the first post incorrectly, I apologize (that was really newb of me). I was heavily distracted by the awesomeness of that M45. Also that would be even more amazing if you could work the engineering of a pump action into the model itself. Definitely going to be subscribing and watching closely on this!

I'm glad that people are finding this thread useful and vivalablake89 it is pretty friggen awesome, you should get one. :) Sadly, I do not have a 3d printer so I can't answer any printing related questions. But, I can answer any and all questions related to how cool this shotgun is. Yes, it will be pump action. :D

I promise I haven't been slacking as much as it seems. I just don't like giving negative update posts, so here is one with a little good and bad.

Update:

After finally gluing all of the shotgun sections together I had it leaning up against a wall. Then my cat brushed against it and it fell 2 feet onto carpet and split down the middle on the most recent glue seam. :mad: Needless to say I was angry and worried that it would happen again if I just tried to reglue it. So instead I took to my most trusted 3d adviser kaween and we worked through the problem together.

200_zpso2foyvnk.jpg

First was to do some glue testing
. Most people will tell you to use Super glue for PLA plastic, but we feel that using it on such a large surface for a non-static prop just isn't practical. Super glue is too rigid and will shatter if met with sudden force. So, we tested more glues. Tec7 X-TACK7 available in Europe is quite impressive. Here is a link for someone who ships internationally. I used one slightly less impressive, but available in stores in the US made by LocTite. But the problem was not necessarily the glue.

Kaween found in his tests that some of the PLA pieces just wouldn't hold a strong bond together. This could have been due to the type of PLA used or the condition of the surfaces being connected. Either way, I didn't want to buy more glues and we both didn't want to scrap the whole gun to be reprinted so he came up with a third solution that he currently recommends in all of his large weapon prints, creating space for a rod to be inserted through the whole gun.

image2_zpse5ltgf0i.png

The Pink, Magenta, Green and Blue lines are where a rod will be inserted into the gun. I don't know what you call the pieces above and below the barrel, but I'm going to call them the "barrels." By inserting multiple rods we will also fix a problem with all the barrels being unstable (they wiggle a little bit).

From the wiggling, the barrels of my gun have fractured in a couple spots and kaween kindly offered to reprint this section of the gun which also included the flashlight section with more support and hollowed out to allow for a small flashlight.
image1_zpscby0yfge.png

image_zps7cdayxdv.png

So with this new front end piece that will have holes missing to insert rods into I am left with creating holes in my other pieces for the rest of the rods to fit into. To do this kaween will be printing me "drilling jigs" from the original file so that I can drill the holes in the exact spots on my pieces. I have purchased two 3' threaded rods at 1/2" and one 3' solid 1/4" rod at a hardware store. This will not only strengthen my prop, but will also add a more realistic weight to it. The total fix will cost me $17 and some in shipping from my good friend in Belgium.

Thanks for following along!

Edit:
The M45 model has undergone some addiditons, corrections and improvements since this first incarnation (it is FFA number 10 in the FFA series).
Ha! You must have posted this while I was writing my update. Where can people find this FFA list of 3d print files?

200_zpso2foyvnk.jpg

View attachment image2_zpse5ltgf0i.png

200_zpso2foyvnk.jpg

200_zpso2foyvnk.jpg

200_zpso2foyvnk.jpg

200_zpso2foyvnk.jpg

200_zpso2foyvnk.jpg

200_zpso2foyvnk.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, there isn't any. :D But tbh, if you enter "FFA" as search arguement in the sites' search function, it will list up all of the FFA's created so far. Speaking of which, a new one will surface either end of this week or somewhere next week, and YOU already know which one it will be. :D

Well, there isn't any. :D But tbh, if you enter "FFA" as search arguement in the sites' search function, it will list up all of the FFA's created so far. Speaking of which, a new one will surface either end of this week or somewhere next week, and YOU already know which one it will be. :D

OHHH YEAH!!! I'll pay extra to have you personally drop it off at my door step! Once its printed, of coarse......o_O:D

While I would be honored, the distance may cause the price tag to go slightly "outside ye normal range". :D :D :D And yeah, you saw it too already I guess. :D

I kinda have good news! ... I received the reprinted barrel and and the drilling jigs the other day.
20170217_103016_zpshscoeip0.jpg

I plan to drill through the shotgun and insert the metals rods to give it weight and strength.

The reprinted barrel end has a lot thicker walls which should work out great.
20170217_102945_zpsooscjqwm.jpg

Now everything was going great. I cut the rods to size using a horizontal bandsaw. I sanded down the ends of each piece to get the left over glue off and I even got the drill set up to do a test run. The test run went great. I used the old barrel end and taped my jigs on, held it up to the drill press and everything was good. I could have centered it a little better, but I was confident moving on to my real pieces.

I started with the reprinted barrel end, it had holes already but they were way too tight so I wanted to open them up a bit. Halfway into the hole and the plastic started melting into the drill, it seized the drill and ultimately got stuck in the part after slipping out of the chuck. I hopped over to the sander and ground some flats into the drill. Slapped it back in and tried to rock. Instantly this is what happened. vv

20170219_152335_zpsddojtjtp.jpg

The drill bit was too hot from grinding the flats on so even though I had a good hold of the part when I flipped the drill back on it was too much and bent the drill, hitting my stomach really hard in the process. It broke the flashlight off and also separated the barrel in two. :( All is not lost. The rods are going to go through where it was separated so I don't think it will be a problem. The flashlight broke off pretty clean and I have already epoxy'd it.

I was too upset to keep working on it. Now it is time for Judmalology. For those of you not familar with the Dictionary of Blackwell, it is as follows:

Judmalology- \jood-mah-lala-gee\- Noun
The study of one's own impracticality and bad judgment.

I did manage to get my first coat of primer on my test print, the M6G. I am happy with how it is turning out.
20170219_122657_zps7y09xq8h.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back