Female GEN2 SCOUT Armor (Spartan Commander Sarah Palmer) Build [+ more]

Discussion in 'Halo Costumes and Armor' started by CommanderPalmer, Nov 18, 2015.

1. SavedbyGraceG12

SavedbyGraceG12 Well-Known Member

Nice use of DOF Mara! And speaking of space luckily I have a spare bed room.

2. PerniciousDuke

PerniciousDuke

Oh nice helmet liner. That is the same method I was hoping to try... borrow one from an unused construction helmet.

Great work as usual.. On the room upgrade... couldn't you have just put the armor inside the closet instead of putting a shelf in front of the closet. ;P

3. SavedbyGraceG12

I don't think that would be a good idea. They're Hunters inside.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
    PerniciousDuke likes this.
  4. Dirtdives

Dirtdives

It must be a very big closet........

PerniciousDuke likes this.
  5. CommanderPalmer

CommanderPalmer Membership Officer Division Staff

I don't have a locker room or anything... My locker is litterally just a tiny bit bigger than this stand... . _ .

=// UPDATE \\=

My pile of shame... I *hate* masking. And that thigh piece is so damn big and required so much masking... V_V Should have finished that over a week ago. So you see how much it took me to gather myself and finally do it. 1f611.png -_- Still, one last stage - the red markings are still missing...

DSC02928.JPG DSC02929.JPG

Also, made this video with tips on how to cut out and assemble pepakura pieces fast, easy and efficiently:

Spartan55, SI3RRA 117 and PaiganBoi like this.
  6. SI3RRA 117

SI3RRA 117

Thigh came out great tho.....I agree masking is the worst. If I may...... how are you stenciling out your red markings?

7. Spartan55

Spartan55

it just sunk in how much mas my armour is going to suck.... but your armour is looking great, how do you make the detail lines in the armour?

8. SavedbyGraceG12

CommanderPalmer
    Wait, what? You did a Pepakura tutorial before the paint tutorial?! Lol, just picking wit ya!

9. CommanderPalmer

SI3RRA 117 I make them digital, then print them out, cut out and use as template which I draw on tape and cut out and spray paint.

Spartan55 Why would your armor ever suck . _ .

SavedbyGraceG12 Yeah, I suck I know. ^^

// UPDATE:

Yay, the right thigh is now all done and prepared for weathering and finishing. Working on left thigh and will start to strip down paint from shins too...

DSC02931.JPG DSC02932.JPG

mblackwell1002 and AlphaZero like this.
  10. AlphaZero

AlphaZero New Member

CommanderPalmer- quick question for you, why don't you paint the foam details before you put them on? I feel like that would save you from having to mask nearly as much. It would also make the edges perfect so there would be no need for small touch up work either.

I'm sure there is a good reason for your process, I'm just curious.

I'd like to also say your build looks pretty amazing.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017 at 6:15 PM
  11. Spartan55

Spartan55

Opps didn't mean that it was going to suck I meant it's going to suck taping it:lol:
    Also I noticed that you have stenciled out the red parts do you do that while the tape is on the armour?

12. CommanderPalmer

AlphaZero Um... I've never seen someone painting the foam first, then gluing it on... Foam is flexible, while the paint is more flexible, I would never even think about painting the foam first, then gluing the pieces on the armor... You need to heat seal the foam first (and if you're sealing it more with pva,plastidip, etc then it's even more work) and even heat sealing foam it will 99% shrink it and deform it if you don't glue it first.
    I have never seen anyone sealing and painting all small foam pieces and then only gluing them together...
    Like it or not, masking is part of the paintjob. ^^" You can go away with masking if you are just doing one color for full armor.
    Well, spray painting for me is just the beginning, then I'll paint many things by hand and weather the whole part...

Spartan55 I mean, I realized that when I was writing that post, but I was curious why would it suck :p Unless you plan on doing many details in multiple colors, doing stripes or 'simpler' markings is much easier. :) So I'm just curious what you've planned.
    It depends - I'm doing both. Cutting the markings out on the tape, or putting on the tape first on the armor part, then cutting it out - really depends. :)

13. Spartan55

Spartan55

Thanks palmer. I'll probably ask you for more help wti get close to painting

14. CommanderPalmer

Spartan55 You're welcome and yeah, if you have any questions - just ask. :)

No real update. Just seen Spider-Man and totally recommend watching it... And I've ordered a new Dremel today. I realized I won't find the tip for that chinese crap I have, so I'll rather order new one... Ordered real Dremel this time, not the cheapest crap possible. XD
    Should arrive on Monday or maybe earlier... crying because my monies just flew away, but after some thought I will need it more often so I'll survive.

15. AlphaZero

AlphaZero New Member

CommanderPalmer - Do you really need to heat seal it though? I would just hit it with primer then paint it. I would imagine primer does a great job filling the pores in the foam. It would also retain nearly all of its flexibility so attaching it after would be easy. I don't have any experience with foam so I'm just curious as I will be using some in my build, and if there is a more efficient way to do something then why not right.

16. mblackwell1002

mblackwell1002

Filler primer tends to crack, and does not fill in the pores of foam well at all. The way CommanderPalmer does it is the best and most efficient and effective way of doing it. I've tried what you suggested (with multiple brands of filler primer), but it cracks all over the place and looks pretty terrible once it's done.

Anyway, Commander, that thigh armor is looking fancy! Nice job! It seems that progress has slowed a little bit, tool but I still eagerly await more progress!

17. CommanderPalmer

Unsealed foam most of the time eats paint.