Female GEN2 SCOUT Armor (Spartan Commander Sarah Palmer) Build [+ more]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Beware. LONG post with mission reports and many photos.

After-mission report.

It was fun. Not as fun as the weekend in Warsaw.
Poznań Game Arena was said to be a game festival. Meaning I expected many games to be able to play... It was not.
It was more of a show and party of small kids with the biggest attraction being the YouTubers.
Main games on display? Counter Strike and League of Legends with some DOTA2... Totally NOT my interest, the games and YouTubers and all.
The only interesting thing? The hall with all indie games and Microsoft booth (Microsoft was the only publisher there, others just ditched the event).
Best part? My Halo radar directed me to one Xbox One stand and when I checked it had Halo 5 available! So I played it too... :D

I was overall disappointed with the PGA. I probably would have gone home on Friday even, if it wasn't for a friend of mine who joined me on Saturday. And the contest on Sunday.
The best things for me? Because I was participating in the contest, I had all the tickets for free. XD

I was there on Friday already. It was said to be the VIP day. There was nothing different, but only less people because the tickets were very expensive.
But, a TV station interviewed me! (I had no idea they aired it... the MS PR guy told me actually)
It was funny because I was playing the game and I just seen from a corner of my eye that someone is standing beside me, so when I finally turned my head they almost shoved the mic into my face.
Well, it was OK.

636129316738831507.jpg

AND I GOT A PHOTO WITH A VERY IMPORTANT GUY! (to me)
This is the Poland's Microsoft PR guy! A very important and a very nice guy.
Met him in Warsaw earlier week, but was already out of the costume, but this time he caught me and we talked for a moment and he totally loved my costume and even wanted to get a selfie! :D
So happy! :D

636129314951686375.jpg

Met the woman with Aloy costume again! She is great and was happy when she caught me. I was walking and she called me from behind, so we had the chance to talk again... And some lucky people got some photos with two dangerous women. ;)
palmeraloy.JPG

And met a very cool Warmachine!
WP_20161023_12_04_56_Pro.jpg

Who is a friend of mine and we met for the very first time... The best thing? He sent me a link with options where I could stay for the night. Guest rooms in private houses. Turned out he was staying at the very same place XD
Nice coincidence, so we all talked.
WP_20161023_12_04_51_Pro.jpg

See? I CAN take selfies too!
WP_20161023_12_04_29_Pro.jpg

AND I MET ARTORIAS!
For people who played Dark Souls... it's an important character.
Artorias was my favorite character so I totally geeked out and fangirled. :D

I COULD HOLD THE HOLY SWORD OMG!
WP_20161023_15_58_49_Pro.jpg

Such a nice Artorias. Very funny person.
WP_20161023_15_58_21_Pro.jpg

PRAISE THE SUN!
WP_20161023_15_59_13_Pro.jpg

Physical examination report.

After the first weekend in Warsaw my shoulders and back hurt. Were quite sore for next 2-3 days. And I walked in costume just for one day.
After last weekend in Poznań? No problem at all! After first day on Friday, I felt just a little bit of paint on the same day. Saturday? Nope. Not a problem.
After second day on Sunday, I didn't feel anything on Monday too.

So... I have to say augmentations are working and body is adjusting quickly.

I got few scratched and abrasions on the skin. On my legs mostly by the pieces rubbing with weight, but it's perfectly fine. Didn't hurt. They might take some time to heal, I think they might be gone in a month, as my skin heals slowly any wound that rubbed off the skin to blood.
The worst one was on the knee joint, on the back. I think it was the strap inside and every time I moved my leg (by walking) it rubbed against, so well, it bleed by the end of the day. I fixed it and made sure to avoid it on the other day.
Got some bruises again. The biggest ones on forearms, like one on the photo. Fear not. I just bruise easily. Today after the week they are not visible anymore. They didn't hurt at all, it was just because my hand was touching the shoulder piece everytime I moved it up, and just because of that it bruised.
DSC01699.JPG

Armor damage report.
Despite wearing the costume for 2 days, I got less rubbed off paint, especially on the thighs (when walking the thighs do always rub against each other).
I just found a very comfortable way of walking and for the thigh parts not to touch against each other - just literally walk like a badass Spartan.
I joke you not. I started to do that and it worked! Almost NO rubbed off paint after 2 days, compared to 1 day that the paint was rubbed off quite lot.

But it's normal otherwise, on few other parts I got rubbed off paint, because the parts were rubbing against each other. No big deal.

Just a very small part on the rib-cover from the chest piece was a little damaged during transport back. No problem to fix.

Otherwise, biggest damage was the pistol. I broke it... kinda.
When I was walking through the door, somehow the thigh piece, or rather just the pistol was stuck on it (I must have been too close) and the pistol fell. It wasn't high as I'm not a tall person. Not whole 1meter.
When I picked it up, the pistol was very fine, so I sticked it back to the thigh piece. But after some time of walking when I pulled it, I realized it's broken and hanging on the thin handguard!
Two things I'm surprised by: how fragile the 3d print is. It broke at different pieces! NOT at the spot where I was gluing the 2 parts together! So it's something. Also, how strong the handguard is to have supported the whole parts of the pistol for a longer period of time.
I fixed the pistol with hot glue and super glue(I am eternally thankful the organizer for getting us the Cosplay First Aid Kit with all kinds of glue!). Poured some of the hot glue inside for support and joined it. Held it together tightly til it cooled down and then used superglue outside. Worked perfectly!
WP_20161021_16_02_05_Pro.jpg

-

Some more photos and stuff from those two weekends!

First off, it was on the twitch stage, so of course Twitch recorded it. Good thing? Got the video.
I think the performance is better. After I watched the video from the first contest I realized I was like a hamster on coffee there, just doing all things and too fast.
Here I improved it by doing it slower, taking more time. Still, both performances are totally improvised on stage...

Since that photo looked a lot like the cinematic, here you go. Very quick manip and cinematic mock-up.
palmercgi.jpg

Other beautiful shot from WGW in front of the Xbox booth. That beautiful green... ;)
palmerfoto2.JPG

Another from WGW. Looking pissed off... DAMN EGGHEADS!
14702335_1263610027013916_8495964798635339747_n.jpg

Shot from PGA.
14885726_930789110354086_923092023_n.jpg
Just full version, because the guy sent me two. :) (I said many times I am a short person... those are kids walking by... V_V)
14858583_930787780354219_726318748_o.jpg

Another from WGW, just waiting (and kinda bored) on the stage, because we had to just stand and wait.
14717048_1263615130346739_1580901413157489486_n.jpg

Another from WGW from the contest.
14729190_1263609863680599_7296779759240629829_n.jpg

And PGA.
14563363_10154612680088926_8522060120952096439_n.jpg

WGW again.
14708332_1263609883680597_8529785942789571050_n.jpg

Awesome photo.

Looking amazing.

Thank you very much. :)

Wow I'd say an amazing success there. Great details, love the wash and weathering you put in it. Range of articulation is just outstanding, I have a hard enough time trying to move my arms with all the crap I'm confined to. Way to freaking go!

Thank you very much! :D
Well, I can suit up all by myself, I can sit, I can crouch and I can pick up things by myself if I have to. :)
I don't like being limited to or dependent on other people... So it was important to me that I have all that, to be honest.

Before I read your text I thought the same thing. On closer look it is even better than an in game cinematic.. When's your movie coming out? ;)

Hahahaha! Sometimes it's funny how the coincidences happen and it turns out it totally fits! :D
Can't tell, Spartan. It's classified.

For real. This looks like a still from a live-action Halo movie. Like the moment right before Palmer tells fireteam Majestic that she's their commander.

Thanks! And yeah, it does! Funny how it turned out so fitting. The hall looks totally like it could be part of the UNSC Infinity. :)

Such amazing detail work! so amazing! Can't wait to see it with the helmet!

Thank you! I'm slowly working on the helmet what I can, but it'll be finished next year, sadly. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you! I'm slowly working on the helmet what I can, but it'll be finished next year, sadly. :(

I feel your pain. It's gotten cold here so the resin and bondo for my helmets is taking forever to set, so I will probably have to move on with pepping the rest of the set in the meantime, at least until I can find a climate controlled workshop.

I feel your pain. It's gotten cold here so the resin and bondo for my helmets is taking forever to set, so I will probably have to move on with pepping the rest of the set in the meantime, at least until I can find a climate controlled workshop.

My bigger problem has been, it's been raining the whole time here lately. And I work in the garden... :/
But, bondo or rondo doesn't have a problem with cold temperatures, just pure resin. ;) Rondo just needs bit longer and harder to get rid off the sticky surface afterwards, but only resin is really affected by cold temperatures.

When I tested, resin didn't want to fully cure for almost days even, whereas it always took rondo few hours or day tops...

My bigger problem has been, it's been raining the whole time here lately. And I work in the garden... :/
But, bondo or rondo doesn't have a problem with cold temperatures, just pure resin. ;) Rondo just needs bit longer and harder to get rid off the sticky surface afterwards, but only resin is really affected by cold temperatures.

When I tested, resin didn't want to fully cure for almost days even, whereas it always took rondo few hours or day tops...

That explains it. The resin has been very difficult for exactly that reason. It contracts from the cold leaving bare areas when I brush a thin coat on. As for the bondo,, I just checked and it has actually set up really well. Just needed some extra time I guess!

That explains it. The resin has been very difficult for exactly that reason. It contracts from the cold leaving bare areas when I brush a thin coat on. As for the bondo,, I just checked and it has actually set up really well. Just needed some extra time I guess!

Yeah. And you can actually manipulate the bondo. Just add more hardener and it will shorten the cure time. :)

Wow. So many great photos Mara.

Too bad that the con itself wasn't great but it sounds like you had a fantastic time.

Now get that helmet finished so we can see the whole thing!

"I don't know what is weirder - that you're fighting a stuffed animal, or that you seem to be losing." - Suzie

Glad you had a good time! You weren't kidding with the wealth of photos but they were all sooo cool!

Also, PRAISE THE SUN

Lots of really amazing photos. The video was great too, you look super confident! Sounds like you met some new friends too, and that's always a good thing! :)

I'm blown away.

You have really nailed that costume. Hopefully you'll get away with fewer bumps and scrapes next time. It sounds a lot like wearing medieval armour. You really just have to figure out what way to walk to get the fewest injuries :p.

Overall, impressive work Commander.

I'm jealous :p The nearest event to me is next month at the other end of my province (a two day drive) and I'm still not able to take time off work :p.

Wow. So many great photos Mara.

Too bad that the con itself wasn't great but it sounds like you had a fantastic time.

Now get that helmet finished so we can see the whole thing!

Thank you very much, Jme! I wish the weather would like to cooperate with me, then I would be closer to finishing it rather than farther away...
But, I'm slowly working on it.

Glad you had a good time! You weren't kidding with the wealth of photos but they were all sooo cool!

Also, PRAISE THE SUN

Thank you very much! :D Well, I still have few or may find more, but don't want to spam too much, haha.
PRAISE THE SUN!
Damn, it was hard to keep the arms so high up! :D The shoulder parts and armor blocks movement, so it was literally it how I can raise my arms and it was hard keeping them in that position.

Lots of really amazing photos. The video was great too, you look super confident! Sounds like you met some new friends too, and that's always a good thing! :)

Thank you. ;)

Just between us, I am not confident, especially seeing so many people. (there were quite many people watching) If I didn't have my armor I would have never stepped a foot there.
Somehow, the armor gives you courage, but IMO going in front of people is harder than fighting the Covies, haha.

Yeah, I got to know some amazing people! :D
It was worth it, but next year there is a very very small chance I'll go there. Bit to expensive to go there just for one day... or more. Dunno. Maybe something will change. I'm not scratching it completely though.

I'm blown away.

You have really nailed that costume. Hopefully you'll get away with fewer bumps and scrapes next time. It sounds a lot like wearing medieval armour. You really just have to figure out what way to walk to get the fewest injuries :p.

Overall, impressive work Commander.

I'm jealous :p The nearest event to me is next month at the other end of my province (a two day drive) and I'm still not able to take time off work :p.

Wow, thank you very much, TwinMustang.

And it really isn't a problem. My skin just bruises very easily. I often have bruises and I don't feel them and have no idea how they were created.
While those one my forearms looked bad, it really didn't even hurt.

I figured how to walk like a badass just to be able to walk more silently and prevent the paint being rubbed away by thigh rubbing on the thigh. XD
But other than that, it's quite impossible to do better, unless I'd make the armor out of foam. :)

Oh, that's sad that you can't take the time off. :(
To both events I had to drive with train for 3 hours (it's about 300km), so it wasn't so bad... But would have been so much easier with car, haha.
You don't have to worry about anything then (transporting 2 big heavy luggages with public transport is a pain in the butt)

Fantastic job. You should be proud. The level of detail and effort is unmatched.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

UUUUCCCCHHHHHH Mara, it's just exhausting telling you how good you look........and I just checked out that pic w/ the kids walking by..............you really are short......I'm sorry, I just.....I know you said you were short....but I didn't realize how short until those kids passed you.......And about the shoulder and back pain you was suffering w/, what kind of harness system do you have? Is all the weight on you shoulders?

She's using a military harness designed for heavy load bearing combat rigs. It places most of the weight on the hips, and takes the rest on the shoulders.

It's a Condor H-Harness. They're well designed, and very comfortable. I've worn them before.

Alright

First, I've gotten these two beautiful photos from that photographer.
And I'm still drooling over him again and again how AMAZING he is.
He shoots the photos literally at the perfect time and his photos are just... damn perfect. Everything is sharp that is supposed to be, the colors... just perfect.
palmerfoto3.JPG
palmerfoto4.JPG

Found another photo from Warsaw. Was standing with everyone on stage.
14711493_1263615730346679_7850695718654457361_o.jpg

Here are two other photos from Poznań. I know about the pistol. I have to practice drawing and holding the pistol with right hand more (I'm fully left-handed).
14721682_539387722925932_974873400204658170_n.jpg
14721500_539387689592602_2660364117866009087_n.jpg

Also, finally got the full footage of the contest from the first weekend in Warsaw.
It's not the best angle, I agree, but after I watched the first footage I got (from a friend of mine) I was not happy.
I've seen that I was like a hamster on coffee - doing everything and nothing at the same time.
VERY chaotic. And then failed to draw the combat knife quickly as it got stuck.

Luckily I improved the performance on the second contest. While I am not satisfied with that one either, I am more happy than with the first one.
Just, fixed some of the errors.

But yeah, if you want, you can see the first one. *hides*

Fantastic job. You should be proud. The level of detail and effort is unmatched.

Thank you, happy you like it. ;)

UUUUCCCCHHHHHH Mara, it's just exhausting telling you how good you look........and I just checked out that pic w/ the kids walking by..............you really are short......I'm sorry, I just.....I know you said you were short....but I didn't realize how short until those kids passed you.......And about the shoulder and back pain you was suffering w/, what kind of harness system do you have? Is all the weight on you shoulders?

:(
I'm sorry. :(

I'm 5'3". In costume 5'4-5". I'm not one of the taller people, but I'm the exact height as the Spartan-III Lucy B091, hehe. ^^'
I'm a ninja Spartan!

And it's nothing really that bad. It was no pain. Just sore neck and shoulders on the first weekend. Mainly from the weight and from the fact that you can't really move or straighten the back in the hard chest armor. ;)
On the second weekend I wore the costume more - on two days and already didn't feel anything on the next day after the weekend.
Just like, body is adjusting, I guess... to the augmentations.

I'm wearing the H-harness from Condor.

attachment.php

She's using a military harness designed for heavy load bearing combat rigs. It places most of the weight on the hips, and takes the rest on the shoulders.

It's a Condor H-Harness. They're well designed, and very comfortable. I've worn them before.

Yeah, the exact one. :) I've worn it before, back when I was playing some airsoft. Actually, it takes most on the shoulders in my case. The belt-thing on the hips is just to keep everything in place to not slide back and forth, but everything sits on the shoulders. But it isn't painful by any means.

I still can't get over how awesome your build is! I love all the pictures from cons!

Awww! Thank you very much! I'm very flattered to hear you like it. <3

I like the photographer. He's doing a great job. I wasn't sure if you were using a "duty belt" with your harness or not.

You're doing a fantastic job. Short is another term for "concentrated awesome". :p

Fantastic costume, you've clearly had a lot of fun making it and wearing it. I do have one question though for my own build - how do you attach your Magnums? There's no visible holster, so I'm assuming magnets? If so, that's an awesome throwback to the Halo 5 Locke/Chief trailers.

Found this photo in the official gallery on the WGW website. Yay!

palmerfoto5.JPG
palmerfoto6.JPG

I like the photographer. He's doing a great job. I wasn't sure if you were using a "duty belt" with your harness or not.

You're doing a fantastic job. Short is another term for "concentrated awesome". :p

I totally love that photographer.
Sure, I didn't use the duty belt because I just wanted to keep the lowest profile possible, for it to not be seen underneath.
Thank you and hahaha, nice! :D
Highly concentrated awesome!

Fantastic costume, you've clearly had a lot of fun making it and wearing it. I do have one question though for my own build - how do you attach your Magnums? There's no visible holster, so I'm assuming magnets? If so, that's an awesome throwback to the Halo 5 Locke/Chief trailers.

Thank you very much.
Actually, the magnetic holstering has been in all the games, not just the Halo 5 ads. I used big neodymium magnets in both the pistols and thigh armor.

CommanderPalmer;770288[B said:
][/B]
Thank you very much.
Actually, the magnetic holstering has been in all the games, not just the Halo 5 ads. I used big neodymium magnets in both the pistols and thigh armor.

D'oh, I hope you can forgive me, my main experience with Halo has been singleplayer and I never paid much attention to the weapon holstering. It's a very good technique and I'll definitely use it for my own build :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back