1st Build First armor build

Quick update, printed the right shoulder and the chest. Found the chest to be too big and decided to get a different file for the chest and thighs. While this are printing Ive been sanding, bondoing, and priming, and sanding non stop. I magnetized the helmet attachment so it can be removable if I decide I don't like it.
I also found pep files for the under suit, so I'll be using those to make the Eva foam under bits. Haven't decided what thickness of foam is best for certain areas yet so suggestions on that are welcome.
1000002302.jpg
1000002296.jpg
had a support fail 90% of the way through a 4 day print, but caught it when it happened and was able to glue the support to the bed, and then use a pice of paper to provide a new surface and it successfully finished

1000002282.jpg
1000002286.jpg

Printed one thigh and it came out the smoothest print I've gotten since I finally kinda figured out how to get a good level and set the z height right. It doesn't really look like it, but I've had some really rough layer lines, but this is so smooth to the touch besides subtle repetitive banding, but even that is really smooth. So hopefully the other thigh comes out as good too
1000002348.jpg
sizing wise, I'm able to bend my leg with ease
1000002349.jpg
1000002350.jpg

I have an Elegoo Neptune 4 Max. The build space is great, but getting and keeping that bed level to get smooth prints is a Pain in the ass. But it's been very reliable compared to other brands I've heard about. Course Bambu still reins supreme. If u get a Neptune series I'd suggest the one step down from the max
Ill definitely look into that for my next printer !

Update, reprinted chest with a different model, almost done post processing
1000002407.jpg
i also finally got the tints I wanna use for my visor instead of spray chroming as I'm hoping I'll have clearer visibility. One is a one way mirrored window tint that goes on the inside of windows, the other is headlight tint that goes on the outside that can heat shrink
1000002405.jpg

Update time:
Tried to wrap my visor, but having never wrapped anything nor own a heat gun it went terribly, so I went to dye it instead and the water was too hot so it warped and I bought a new one. At least I know that Rit dye more will work on visors
1000002452.jpg
1000002454.jpg

Next I have finally started wet sanding and putting a glossy black base coat down for the metallics. I'm still deciding on a color, but I'm making a choice tonight.
1000002499.jpg
1000002516.jpg
1000002526.jpg

Printed one thigh and it came out the smoothest print I've gotten since I finally kinda figured out how to get a good level and set the z height right. It doesn't really look like it, but I've had some really rough layer lines, but this is so smooth to the touch besides subtle repetitive banding, but even that is really smooth.
I've had a similar issue to the one you have on your thigh pieces. The ripples for me were caused by a loose printer carriage. Check the eccentric nuts on the wheels of the carriage. They could be too loose. Armor looks fantastic so far!!

I've had a similar issue to the one you have on your thigh pieces. The ripples for me were caused by a loose printer carriage. Check the eccentric nuts on the wheels of the carriage. They could be too loose. Armor looks fantastic so far!!
Thanks! I'll check those, I think the wheels on the gantry might be wonky, when I checked, only the lower two were making contact

Almost done painting everything silver. First I painted it all glossy black, then used Vallejo air paint for silver. I also got a new visor and dyed that.
1000002953.jpg
1000003005.jpg
1000002548.jpg
I've also started on the inner thighs/under suit. I unfolded the file and printed the thigh templates. Been cutting those out and got Eva foam and a heat gun from hobby lobby

Finished silvering everything, I think I'm gonna try to do some physical weathering/damaging, then use a chrome pen to fill it in, mask it and other chips and scratches, then hit it with a satin deep blue.
I've also found that you can't spray paint in the south when it's rainy, I have a closed in balcony, cause the humidity gets juuust too high that you'll get cracky layers

I think I've found the color palette I want, just need to figure out a scheme/pattern. These are the same three colors in different lighting.
Thoughts?
1000003089.jpg
1000003090.jpg

Update time:
Tried to wrap my visor, but having never wrapped anything nor own a heat gun it went terribly, so I went to dye it instead and the water was too hot so it warped and I bought a new one. At least I know that Rit dye more will work on visors
View attachment 349670View attachment 349671
Next I have finally started wet sanding and putting a glossy black base coat down for the metallics. I'm still deciding on a color, but I'm making a choice tonight.View attachment 349672View attachment 349673View attachment 349674
How did you dye your visor? Did you just use the normal dying instructions from Rit? Also, did you seal it at all? (I know if I dye fabric, I always use the dye fixatif afterwards.) This looks really good, and may be a lot easier than a film! I'm curious to see how the dye method holds up over time.

How did you dye your visor? Did you just use the normal dying instructions from Rit? Also, did you seal it at all? (I know if I dye fabric, I always use the dye fixatif afterwards.) This looks really good, and may be a lot easier than a film! I'm curious to see how the dye method holds up over time.
Others usually use iDye poly, but I liked the color options for Rit. The important part is it has to be the variation of the dyes that can dye plastics. So iDye poly or Rit dye more. The normal instructions for dyes will say to boil water, but that will warp your visor like mine did. I recommend looking up the tutorial. I followed this,
. Idk about others, but I didn't seal it.

This weekend I switched up my color choice slightly and mocked up where to use each color in Microsoft paint 3d.
1000003135.png
1000003136.png
1000003137.png
1000003134.png

The colors in the mock up are a little off because Rust-Oleum doesn't share their hex codes, so it's based on the online example swatch grabbed with an image color picker. This is them on spoons in two different lightings.
1000003089.jpg
1000003090.jpg

It's charcoal grey, Nantucket blue, and rustic orange. I was first going to use deep blue, but I felt it was too saturated and found this more muted blue goes better with this darker orange

Others usually use iDye poly, but I liked the color options for Rit. The important part is it has to be the variation of the dyes that can dye plastics. So iDye poly or Rit dye more. The normal instructions for dyes will say to boil water, but that will warp your visor like mine did. I recommend looking up the tutorial. I followed this,
. Idk about others, but I didn't seal it.
Copy that. I'd absolutely use the dye more, since that's for synthetics. I'll definitely check out that tutorial. As for not using sealant, are you worried that the color will bleed at all?

Copy that. I'd absolutely use the dye more, since that's for synthetics. I'll definitely check out that tutorial. As for not using sealant, are you worried that the color will bleed at all?
Being that it's plastic and that I won't be washing it in hot water, I don't think bleeding will be an issue. It may fade overtime if exposed to sunlight too much, but my only worry is accidentally melting the visor if left in a hot car

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back