First build- MK Vb with a touch of EOD

ElvenArcane

I have no idea how to start this thread off. I’m sitting in my garage, wearing my late granddad’s overalls, taking a break from sanding to eat some dinner and to listen to the thunderstorm outside. So forgive me if I’m in a bit of a rambly mood.

It’s been quite the rocky road to get here, with this project getting very close to being cancelled before it even began. But I picked up my helmet today, marking a new start to this little adventure. Doing all the prep and research is one thing, but actually getting to see it in person, seeing it start to come together, is something else.

It’s a bit of a dream come true to start this project. I’ve been a fan of the Halo series for a good number of years now. Having picked up CE at a garage sale for just a dollar, which led to my brother and I playing through all the games up to 4 together. Reach was by far our favourite, with countless hours in forge, playing around making up our own stories. My noble 6’s appearance changed a lot over the years, but the EOD helmet always stayed firmly in place.

Being a huge fan of Star Wars at the same time, I loved the design of the bomb squad troopers from the clone wars, so my final paint job is going to be taking a good deal of inspiration from there.

54C45052-AFFF-4D50-9C90-6A518EE83BA9.png

I’m real excited to be able to start this project and documenting my progress as I go along.

I love this. Welcome to the 405th, we're happy to have you! I'm looking forward to seeing how this project develops!

I love this. Welcome to the 405th, we're happy to have you! I'm looking forward to seeing how this project develops!
Thank you very much for the warm welcome! And I’m happy to be here. I’m looking forward to seeing what I’m capable of too, haha. Much of this is very new to me

You mentioned you picked up your helmet, where did you happen to get one?

EOD has been my go to armor since 3 and the Reach one in particular holds a lot of good memories to me, can't wait to see this finished

You mentioned you picked up your helmet, where did you happen to get one?

EOD has been my go to armor since 3 and the Reach one in particular holds a lot of good memories to me, can't wait to see this finished
The files are from Aguilar workshop on etsy, but I had a local friend print em.

EOD has definitely been my favourite for a long time too. Likewise, lots of memories there. I appreciate knowing that the helmet has made its impact on the community. It’s well deserved

First update on the helmet. I’ve got a good deal of sanding done, now it just needs a few spots filled in before I can move onto painting.

A28CC79B-4540-4148-A9B2-F98FC8857114.jpeg

I’m planning on trying a layered approach with the colours, using masking fluid in between each one to build up some battle damage, before some acrylic washes to weather and tie it all together

Firstly, happy Canada Day to those who celebrate. I’ve been taking advantage of as much of this long weekend to get as much done as I can, and I’ve certainly been making good progress. The helmet’s all glued, primed, and now has its base coat. Time to scratch this bad boy up

F6C2EEC7-C0DB-420B-AE22-1CF6BBC54ECB.jpeg

Saw EOD and had to check it out, concept looks insane dude! I wish I was artistic enough to make a concept drawing. Helmet looks really good so far too

Not exactly an update I was hoping to make. Something happened with my orange paint that made it go all fuzzy. I’ve started sanding it down again, trying to salvage what I can, but I’m almost enjoying how it’s looking at this stage. Once I'm done with the sanding, I’m going to try filling in the bare spots with a brush before giving it an acrylic wash, and see what happens

IMG_5721.jpeg

If anyone has some thoughts or ideas, I’d love to hear em

Not exactly an update I was hoping to make. Something happened with my orange paint that made it go all fuzzy. I’ve started sanding it down again, trying to salvage what I can, but I’m almost enjoying how it’s looking at this stage. Once I'm done with the sanding, I’m going to try filling in the bare spots with a brush before giving it an acrylic wash, and see what happens

View attachment 349885

I think the fuzzyness happens when too much paint is put on at once or it's clinging to dust. I don't remember which

View attachment 349885

Not gunna lie. I actually love the look of this.
If you rocked this as finished product, I'd think it was purely intentional. Looks like expertly done weathering.

Not gunna lie. I actually love the look of this.
If you rocked this as finished product, I'd think it was purely intentional. Looks like expertly done weathering.
Thank you very much! I’ve just finished up sanding the last of the helmet, and it’s certainly grown on me. I have a bit to touch back up, but I’m curious to see how it’ll continue to turn out. Just have to figure out how to replicate it later down the line with the rest of the armour

Thank you very much! I’ve just finished up sanding the last of the helmet, and it’s certainly grown on me. I have a bit to touch back up, but I’m curious to see how it’ll continue to turn out. Just have to figure out how to replicate it later down the line with the rest of the armour
You could always just sand the pristine paint back down for the weathering on the high spots instead of adding more paint.
Hit it wit some dark washes and even some dirt in the cracks (I used eye shadow lol) and it'll look like your suit has seen combat

After a bit of time away, I’ve got a good number of updates to share

IMG_6225.jpeg

First, I decided to keep the heavily weathered look on the orange paint, and finished up with the rest of the colours. Still needs a bit more weathering as a whole to tie it all together, but I’m quite happy with where it is now.

The combat knife and sheath are nearly done. Both just need some touch ups and then they’ll be good to go.

I also made an inner chest piece to hold some of the armour. Still have to figure out how all that’s gonna come together. But thankfully that’s a problem for another day.

And finally, the rest of my armour arrived. Glad to say the quality’s great and it fits real well. Unfortunately there was a number of problems with the order, being that a lot of pieces were missing, but thankfully they were small detail pieces so replacing them is a lot easier than anything larger.

IMG_6226.jpeg

The crunch is definitely on, if I’m going to have this ready for fan expo Toronto

After a bit of time away, I’ve got a good number of updates to share

View attachment 350506

First, I decided to keep the heavily weathered look on the orange paint, and finished up with the rest of the colours. Still needs a bit more weathering as a whole to tie it all together, but I’m quite happy with where it is now.

The combat knife and sheath are nearly done. Both just need some touch ups and then they’ll be good to go.

I also made an inner chest piece to hold some of the armour. Still have to figure out how all that’s gonna come together. But thankfully that’s a problem for another day.

And finally, the rest of my armour arrived. Glad to say the quality’s great and it fits real well. Unfortunately there was a number of problems with the order, being that a lot of pieces were missing, but thankfully they were small detail pieces so replacing them is a lot easier than anything larger.

View attachment 350507

The crunch is definitely on, if I’m going to have this ready for fan expo Toronto
Looking great! What thickness foam did you use on the inner chest?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back