[FOAM] [GUIDE] List of Options for Supplies, Tools, and Methods Used for Foam Builds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: [FOAM] [GUIDE] List of Options for Supplies, Tools, and Methods Used for Foam Bui

Just wanted to say this is a great start for a solid resource for this subject. Keep up the good work

Re: [FOAM] [GUIDE] List of Options for Supplies, Tools, and Methods Used for Foam Bui

For Scalpels:
#3 handle is what you will want: http://www.amazon.com/SCALPEL-HANDL...=1408933279&sr=8-1&keywords=#3+scalpel+handle
#11 blades (these come with a #3 handle that is basically the same as linked above): http://www.amazon.com/100-Scalpel-B...8-4&keywords=scalpel+11+blades#cm_cr_dpwidget

Another reason that scalpels are used over xactos is that they are much much cheaper! $7 for 100 blades and a handle, what?!

Thanks Termhn!
When I opened up the 405th this morning and read that it was a great surprise.

Not sure why I didn't think to check Amazon, I was thinking I was about to have to buy them from a surgical supply company; especially since it doesn't seem as though there are any local stores that carry them. The girl I asked at Hobby Lobby was extremely confused when I asked if they had surgical scalpel handles.

Besides cost, scalpels have the advantage over exacto knives because their handle is flat rather than round. Having the flat handle allows you to control it more easily when making cuts so that everything is more precise in the end.
I've also heard that scalpel blades might come sharper than exacto blades do, but if you have a blade sharpener, that aspect doesn't really matter either way.

Are scalpel blades "V" shaped or are they "|/" shaped?

Have any recommendations for blade/knife sharpeners?

Last edited by a moderator:
[FOAM] [GUIDE] List of Options for Supplies, Tools, and Methods Used for Foam...

There are a bunch of different types of blades. The #11 blades are |/ shaped. Here's a link to what the shapes are https://www.preservationequipment.com/UserData/root/Products/Images/000529_0.jpg

The #3 handle fits #10-15 blades.

When I'm cutting using xacto or scalpel I end up holding it in such a way that the handle shape doesn't matter too much. I grip it so my palm goes over the top of the handle and the top point of the handle presses into the back of my palm so that I have more leverage to make the cut. I find if I hold it normally it is very hard to actually cut through the material, but that could just be me.

Hobby Lobby has mini high temp glue guns for $2.99 to $15 for a duel temp gun. They also have packs of 50 High temp 4" mini glue sticks for right around $6.00

Re: [FOAM] [GUIDE] List of Options for Supplies, Tools, and Methods Used for Foam...

There are a bunch of different types of blades. The #11 blades are |/ shaped. Here's a link to what the shapes are https://www.preservationequipment.com/UserData/root/Products/Images/000529_0.jpg

The #3 handle fits #10-15 blades.

When I'm cutting using xacto or scalpel I end up holding it in such a way that the handle shape doesn't matter too much. I grip it so my palm goes over the top of the handle and the top point of the handle presses into the back of my palm so that I have more leverage to make the cut. I find if I hold it normally it is very hard to actually cut through the material, but that could just be me.

Just to double check and be clear, when you say that the #11 blades are |/ shaped, are you referring to the shape of the tip or the shape of the cutting surface?

I am asking in reference to the shape of the cutting surface, because if it is |/ shaped, it changes what kind of sharpener you can use with the blade. I think most sharpeners are designed for V shaped blades.

Oh no I was saying the tip, the cutting surface is V shaped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay, the OP has been updated.
The "Cutting the Foam" section has been filled out and is almost complete.

The only details remaining that need to be added to the "Cutting the Foam" section are for the Blade Sharpeners and possibly some advice on what to look for in a cutting board and some product options for them.

FYI, Barge is great for gluing foam together, and it is currently ON SALE on Amazon (Obligatory Direct Link Here.). This stuff has been used in the shoe manufacture and shoe/leather repair industries for quite awhile, so it a pretty trusted name. I have heard it compared to Shoe Goo before, and Barge comes out on top.

DO NOT use the blue barge, it basically has the active ingredient removed (ie. the ingredient that makes it actually work really well).

Also only use this stuff in a very well ventilated area, and definitely avoid contact with your skin, or clothes, or furniture, or anything you don't want gluey. It is waterproof so IT WILL NOT WASH OFF.

Yeah, second on barge. Very good for solid and clean gluing, but you need a respirator and well ventilated workspace.

- Gray

Wow this is REALLY detailed. Ive been thinking about getting into foam for some time, not necessarily for Halo armor but other projects. I dont suppose youre going to assemble a Pdf version are you?

Wow this is REALLY detailed. Ive been thinking about getting into foam for some time, not necessarily for Halo armor but other projects. I dont suppose youre going to assemble a Pdf version are you?

I wasn't really planning on making a PDF version, because a PDF version wouldn't really notify people when things are on sale like a thread can do. ;)

Also only use this stuff in a very well ventilated area, and definitely avoid contact with your skin, or clothes, or furniture, or anything you don't want gluey. It is waterproof so IT WILL NOT WASH OFF.

Would you have a link to the solution for the glue so that we have a link ready before someone comes in and says "help, I've glued myself to my mate, how do we become unstuck?"
:p

Would you have a link to the solution for the glue so that we have a link ready before someone comes in and says "help, I've glued myself to my mate, how do we become unstuck?"
:p

Right, right! Here's the link. Amazon actually has a bundle to the cement and thinner together for a special price (extra savings!).

I must put this disclaimer in here though...
The cement thinner is for cleaning the tools and work spaces where the Barge cement product has accidentally spilled or been left on.
DO NOT USE the thinner product on your own skin or body!

If you apply contact cement to your skin: Flush contaminated skin with plenty of water. Remove contaminated clothing and shoes. Continue to rinse for at least 20 minutes. Get medical attention. If necessary, call a poison center or physician.

If you get stuck to your buddy: You are an idiot, and clearly did not read the appropriate M.S.D.S. information for the dangerous chemical products you are using. You know, these ones (All Purpose Cement MSDS and All Purpose Thinner MSDS), which you should ALWAYS look up and print out and have a binder filled with copies of all of these sheets for all of the chemicals you use to make your halo suits and stored in your working area (ie. garage, shed, workshop, dorm, apartment etc.). Please, please, please ensure that ALL safety equipment (which includes a respirator with valid, non-expired cartridges, ventilation, coveralls, and eye protection) is used at all times.

End of Safety Rant...

PS. Sorry for calling people names, I know it isn't the best way to communicate; but in this instance there were no more appropriate, or kinder, words to express the fact that there is no good reason for such an event to occur.

Hello im going to start saving up for my halo reach foam build, is there a place or website where I can find templates for foam?

There's a few ways:
1. Look in the 405th pepakura database, there's a foam section
2. If you can't find it there, search the forum for foam unfolds for whatever you want
3. If you still can't find it (do above first!) post in the 3d modeling/pepakura request thread for whatever armor you want.

- Gray

I know there have been a few guides or videos pertaining to how you should go about converting paper files into foam templates.
If I find the time, I'll try and edit the links and highlight which ones do. Might not have the time to do that this week though.

If I remember correctly, James from Xrobots has a video
In fact, here it is:
Arkcharmer

Last edited by a moderator:

This is going to help me out a lot. Has anyone put together a pepakura to foam pattern tutorial yet or is that still in process?

This is going to help me out a lot. Has anyone put together a pepakura to foam pattern tutorial yet or is that still in process?

Look 1 post up.

Noticed some foam at Walmart yesterday, couldn't find the price for it though. Was no where to be found. Didn't need foam at the time, so unfortunately I didn't find out the price.
Looked like it was 1/2'' sheets of 2'x2' in a package of 6.

OP has been slightly updated and cleaned up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back