Hi. Noob's First ODST

YTunz

Howdy all!

I'm rather new here and have recently begun my journey on building an ODST armor set. I bought my files from Aguilar Workshop and have my filament all ready, but I have no clue on a few things. The idea is to print it on my Bambu P1S out of Matte Grey Filament to help with sanding visibility / painting. I was wondering if anyone could give me tips on a few things

1) How do I size this to my body? I'm 5'11ish and the armor was designed for someone who is 5'10
2) What should I do for an undersuit? I was thinking a set of black BDUs from Amazon and to wear the armor over it.
3) How do I do the visor for the helmet? I've 3d printed both the buck for the vacuum former, but the one at my college is too small to fit it in. Currently I just have a Printed visor just for Aesthetics, but I'd love to be able to see through it.
4) Painting the weapons? Do I legally have to add the orange tip since it is a prop? It is the non-firing version that Aguilar has, but I didn't know if there are laws about this (Im from Pennsylvania if that specifies anything) I've already printed the SOCOM, and plan on also printing the SMG.

Thank you for any advice you can give me on my journey! I hope to post some pictures of everything here soon!

Howdy all!

I'm rather new here and have recently begun my journey on building an ODST armor set. I bought my files from Aguilar Workshop and have my filament all ready, but I have no clue on a few things. The idea is to print it on my Bambu P1S out of Matte Grey Filament to help with sanding visibility / painting. I was wondering if anyone could give me tips on a few things

1) How do I size this to my body? I'm 5'11ish and the armor was designed for someone who is 5'10
2) What should I do for an undersuit? I was thinking a set of black BDUs from Amazon and to wear the armor over it.
3) How do I do the visor for the helmet? I've 3d printed both the buck for the vacuum former, but the one at my college is too small to fit it in. Currently I just have a Printed visor just for Aesthetics, but I'd love to be able to see through it.
4) Painting the weapons? Do I legally have to add the orange tip since it is a prop? It is the non-firing version that Aguilar has, but I didn't know if there are laws about this (Im from Pennsylvania if that specifies anything) I've already printed the SOCOM, and plan on also printing the SMG.

Thank you for any advice you can give me on my journey! I hope to post some pictures of everything here soon!
Hey! I am still getting the hang of things myself, but I was shown this tutorial thread that I found super helpful.

Also this!

Hope it helps you as much as it has me.

Hey! I am still getting the hang of things myself, but I was shown this tutorial thread that I found super helpful.

Also this!

Hope it helps you as much as it has me.
I didnt see those! Thanks for the help!

You have a lot of great questions here. Here's kind of the brief response for each of those. Happy to answer any additional questions or go into more detail.

1. There's a lot of options for this, but the most common, and my preferred, is to get a program called Armorsmith. As of writing this it's priced at US $40, but it's completely worth it. You can set up your avatar with your specific measurements and scale your armor with its help. Be aware your avatar can often times end up looking like the Michilin Man and it's not always exactly perfect, but it'll get you that 95% of the way there. It's been extremely rare that I've had to reprint something that I'd scaled well in Armorsmith first.

2. That depends on several factors, but BDUs are quite common amongst ODST builds.

3. If you have a printed buck already, but don't have the equipment or space for a vacuumformer, you're in the right place as we have several members who can do vacuumforming for a fair price.

4. A lot of us don't paint the orange tip on our props. If you need to have an orange tip a common choice is to either make an orange cap that you can put on and take off that fits snugly on the end of the barrel as to not fall off or to use orange tape such as orange electrical tape. I and many others carry orange tape in our repair kits just in case we or someone else needs it.

Heres the M6C/SOCOM That I printed out. Figured I should upload it here as well.

Attachments

• Left Explode.jpg
    Left Explode.jpg
    7.4 MB · Views: 43
  • Left.jpg
    Left.jpg
    8.1 MB · Views: 32
  • Right.jpg
    Right.jpg
    7.4 MB · Views: 37
I'm not aware of any laws anywhere that require you to paint the tip of prop weapons.

However, many Cons will require it if you want to bring it into their Convention space, and many social media sites are very touchy about images showing weapons of any kind. I would wager that every content creator within the Halo costuming space has had to deal with photos/videos being taken down or highly restricted due to prop weapons. Orange tips don't inherently prevent that, but if it's a case where the image is flagged automatically by the algorithm but the appeal is handled by a real person, you have a better chance of winning with an orange tip versus without.

Gotcha. I think the plan is that I'll figure out the internal dimensions of the barrel and I'll print out an orange plug to put in there.

Armor Update 2) The Shoulders

Hello All, I'm sharing the progress on my ODST armor kit from Aguilar Workshop. As the update says, I have finished printing out the two ODST shoulders.
IMG_0159.jpg
IMG_0160.jpg

This was printed on my Bambu Labs P1S using Matte Grey PLA, and it has turned out amazing! I'm really impressed with the quality and how smooth it is off the build plate. I am waiting to do any sanding and or painting until I have the full kit done, but I am very excited. The cool thing about Aguilar's designs is that he has a pivoting mechanism inside so that the armor will flex with your arm.

I think the next thing I will work on is my helmet, followed up by probably the Chest Armor. Thank you for reading and I hope you all have a wonderful day.

Those shoulders definitely look like they came out incredibly well!! I can't wait to see how this comes out, I absolutely love ODSTs. I'm tempted to make myself some ODST armor after I finish my Spartan lol

Armor Update #3: A Big One!

Good morning everyone! I've been forgetting to post for a few days now but alot of progress as been made, so sorry for the long post (but dont worry, there will be plenty of pictures). I've got new armor, weapons, schemes, and alot more to talk about!

First things first! I completed my chest rig! It is fully printed out and looks like this:
Taping up the Rig.jpg

(Yes that's blue Painters Tape, I don't want to glue everything until I sand everything more)
Chestrig.jpg

But yeah! Thats how it looks! The Lower plate moves independently from the chest piece so its surprisingly comfortable to wear. Shoutout to Gungnir for giving me the idea to put this ontop of a Plate carrier vest. That will be an eventual $40 purchase off of amazon. Its currently held together with straps and prayers as I learned how to sew with a needle and thread to do this. I also strapped up my shoulders and added them on so now it looks like:

Wearing Full.jpg

Tada!
Point at the Camera.jpg

And here it is! fully fitted to my body! I probably will go back over the straps once I get a sewing machine. The suit feels great so far, and I'm really looking forward to getting more of it fitted! I still have forearms, waist and legs to do, but I'm hoping that I'll be posting more soon! Now, heres two really low quality pictures I took for the memes ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Posted Up LQ.jpg
In the Dark.jpg

I think it looks really good, and Im really happy with how its turning out. The Helmet is the firefall helmet, also from Aguilar Workshop, but I wanted to try and print out the actual ODST Helmet that came with the files... well turns out that the split bucket design has some issues where if you shift the helmet the wrong way, the pegs snap in half. Yea it kinda sucks, so thats on a post build list. Shoutout to Benton who offered his vacuum forming services, and I cant wait to see the full colored visor! I currently have a Resin Printed Clear visor I purchased from PCBWay back when I first made the helmet, but its clear and thats not what I'm looking for. Thankfully Aguilar's Firefall helmet uses 3D printed screws to assemble so I can easily remove it and put it together with the new one.

Now, another thing I've forgotten to mention here is my current weapons. I posted the pistol a few weeks back, but I'd like to show off my new SMG print!
34Inch.jpg

Behold! Observe it's design! The mash up of Halo 2 Anniversary with some Halo ODST Elements... yeah... Its massively oversized

Yea so printing this out Aguilar had posted that he was a smaller guy so he printed his at ~80%. In my hubris I said "I'm a big boy! I can print it at 100%." and BOY WAS I WRONG! This thing is 36 Inches long and weights somewhere in the ballpark of 4.5 pounds. In game is ~25 inches long with the stock fully extended. Like if you want a size comparison:
GingerJumpscare.jpg

Boom Ginger Jump scare... Im kidding but yeah its huge. Here I am showing off how big the trigger is compared to my measly human fingers. My friend joked that its "Spartan-Sized" and I agree. Im probably going to paint it and bring it with me whenever theres a big meet up just for the memes. I made the Submachine Gun into a... normal Machine Gun?

Anyways, thats pretty much it for the post. I'll post my current build plan just so I can check it off as I go along. Thank you for reading and for your reward, heres a picture of my cat that fell asleep while I was sewing. Have a good one Y'all.

Sleepy Harriet.jpg

Armor Update #3: A Big One!

Now, another thing I've forgotten to mention here is my current weapons. I posted the pistol a few weeks back, but I'd like to show off my new SMG print!
Behold! Observe it's design! The mash up of Halo 2 Anniversary with some Halo ODST Elements... yeah... Its massively oversized

Yea so printing this out Aguilar had posted that he was a smaller guy so he printed his at ~80%. In my hubris I said "I'm a big boy! I can print it at 100%." and BOY WAS I WRONG! This thing is 36 Inches long and weights somewhere in the ballpark of 4.5 pounds. In game is ~25 inches long with the stock fully extended. Like if you want a size comparison:

Boom Ginger Jump scare... Im kidding but yeah its huge. Here I am showing off how big the trigger is compared to my measly human fingers. My friend joked that its "Spartan-Sized" and I agree. Im probably going to paint it and bring it with me whenever theres a big meet up just for the memes. I made the Submachine Gun into a... normal Machine Gun?

Anyways, thats pretty much it for the post. I'll post my current build plan just so I can check it off as I go along. Thank you for reading and for your reward, heres a picture of my cat that fell asleep while I was sewing. Have a good one Y'all.
Your prints all turned out absolutely amazing! I wish mine all looked that good!

As for the sub machinegun, I think in this case SMG stands for "Super Mega Gun" :lol:

Seriously though, this project is turning out fantastic. I look forward to seeing it finished!!

Your prints all turned out absolutely amazing! I wish mine all looked that good!

As for the sub machinegun, I think in this case SMG stands for "Super Mega Gun" :lol:

Seriously though, this project is turning out fantastic. I look forward to seeing it finished!!
Hey thanks man I appreciate the kind words! I'm hoping to have this done by HCS so I can fly over, but only time will tell!

Armor Update 3) New Helmet

Hello all! Its been a few weeks, but here to show off a small update to my armor. In the previous images in this thread I am using Aguilar Workshop's Firefall Helmet. It is an amazing file and is very customizable! The only downside is that when I printed it I printed it at a very high infill and it weighs 6 pounds (Roughly 2.75Kg for my non-Americans). I did end up getting a resin visor for it from PCBway that is completely clear, but I wanted something a bit more accurate to the games. The files I'm using are based off of the Halo 3 ODST armor guide so I wanted to use an actual ODST Helmet.

So I printed one...

IMG_0594.jpg

The file bundle that I had purchased off of Aguilar's website had the helmet included so I decided that I might as well make it. I want to give a HUGE thank you to Benton for hooking me up with such an amazing looking Visor. I have yet to paint anything or install the Visor just because I want to have the full suit done before I paint, and I'd rather not mess up the chroming yet. The Helmet came together pretty well, although there were a few issues. If anyone is also using Aguilar's Files, I recommend fitting the helmet pegs One at a time before you fully assemble, and also to maybe drill out your holes a bit. I had two snap on me while I was putting this together and it was a pain in the butt try and drill out. There are some parts that I did mess up in with aligning the quarters:

IMG_0597.jpg
IMG_0598.jpg

Welp... thats what paints and filler is for I guess.

I wish this was a longer post, but I'm actually finishing up a large update to my armor so stay tuned if you want. I cant force you, as theres plenty of other amazing projects being worked on in here. College has started back up for me so I am busy as ever, but I'm still trying to get this done in time for some conventions. No clue if this will be ready for HCS 2024, but I will definitely be at Zenkaicon in March. Also might try to get it done before October's end and will wear it around the PA Renn Faire in Manheim for one of their themed weekends. Who knows! Thank you all for reading and I hope you all have a wonderful rest of your day!

See y'all in the Field,
-YTunz

Attachments

• IMG_0596.jpg
    IMG_0596.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 14
Looks like you managed to get that Bambu running well! Everything looks fantastic so far! Can't wait to see the finished product!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back