Membership Stats (Interesting)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spartan-121 said:
I like how you've assumed that 405th has somehow magically become an official, legal organization. I'm 16, so frankly I'm not really worried about that rule, but it pisses me off beyond belief when people exclude the thoughts, and actions of others. I've met kids who could rival Mozart, had a 2 grader solve an equation in his head when it took me two sheets of paper to figure out. And most importantly, I've seen kids suggest some of the most brilliant ideas in the world, only to be dismissed as "foolish and ignorant" day dreams, when they are no closer to realization than a walk down the street. Children are a blessing of love and wisdom to all mankind, one that must be cared for, and respected as well. Respected because of our own lack of understanding, not their lack of age. One parent knows what a baby thinks, what is really behind their actions. What father is not amazed to see a kid take a stack of odd items, and build an self-sustaining building out of it (actually happened). For thousands of years, mankind saw superstition in that which they didn't understand, that, while silly, allowed their civilizations to evolve into greater and greater empires. Yet today we see foolish; what we can't understand, must therefore, be wrong. Whenever mankind has limited its own potential, it comes crashing down in a wave of arrogrance. Drowned by its own foolishness, yet this has not happened once, but dozens, hundreds of times. Those who do not learn from history, are doomed to repeat it. The mistakes of the past must not form the destruction of the future. So learn all, and teach well.

I dont think anyone has stated that the 405th has become an "official" organization in this thread and no one has stated that we should ignore the thoughts or ideas of younger members INFACT many "including myself" have all been for the idea of including younger members with a junior membership. I am not saying that you are wrong but please have all your facts straight before you make such unfounded claims to the character of others.

Now lets get this topic back on track again for the sake of the OP

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you should have a "Hall of Fame" for members with full armor to post pics of them selves.

Anyone under "Legal Age" should be OK with "Parents Concent" ( A check box will do) so there shouldnt have to be any age restrictions.

The stats are intresting... only 18 females eh....

Maybe it's time to clean out some of the spambots... delete any accounts that are over a year old and only accesed once.

Just my 2 cents.... or 3 cents .... ot 4 cents... Damm the Canadian $ just keeps going up! LOL

Wombat.

Yes, we did formerly have a "Hall of Honor" in which to post pictures.

Anyways, I have been here since it was a little forum with a bunch of really nice people who liked to help out the 12 year old kid with his fantasies of having Halo armor. (Me)

I'll be 13 on Monday, so I can officially say "omigosh 6 years until I am adult!1!1!!!"

So in conclusion.

Those stats are all true. I don't even have armor, it's just because I can't at the moment. I might be able to now that football is coming to a close, so expect some pictures (eventually).
All I got is mah (broken) 360, my own rocket launcher, a few handfuls of destroyed action figures (damn dog) and my ideas!

The "Hall of Honor" is actually still there, it's just been moved to "Molded Armor Discussion" as a sticky.

Actually it was known as the Show Room. It wasn't active enough to maintain so it was taken down. Same with the Introduce yourself section.

Oh, and just to let you know. The Completed/Hall of Honor thread has been around since the start of the place. So its not new and nor is it the old Show Room.

-Doom

thefreeman said:
wow, nice rant, but when push comes to shove, you're still 16 and all the complaining about being treated unfairly wont do anything. in 2 years you wont care about the rights of 16 year olds. everyone was 16 once, and if Adam decides to set the age limit at 18, all the complaining in the world wont do anything, you're 16 and you're a legal liability.
Exactly. Do you really think any responsable and loving parents are going to let thier 13 yearold kids get on a plane to go to a convention XXX miles away with a bunch of "strangers". HELL no.
I also 100% agree with you Spase

Ragnarok118 said:
Exactly. Do you really think any responsable and loving parents are going to let thier 13 yearold kids get on a plane to go to a convention XXX miles away with a bunch of "strangers". HELL no.
I also 100% agree with you Spase
I get your side of the story,but you don't have to get on a plane to go to a convention. There are local convnetions just about everywhere. What happened to driving? Parents don't have to fly with you either. My little bro has flown by himself before, its just hard to get an tocket for an unaccompanied minor. I do however see the 'legal liability issue' and though I beleive there is a way to solve that problem, there are several thing to keep in mind. For one its up to Adam and whether he wants to deal with it or not. I dod beleive we could have a club like branch to help kids with their armor and prepare them for the 405th when it comes to an age restriction.

Ok guys, Fall3n Angel and I have talked about this type-ish stuff before.

First off, I'm amazed at the numbers Spase brought up in the first place. Nice job digging and doing research, buddy.
Secondly, you guys got off on talking about age, forums and the goods. (So to speak.)

I'm 17, so technically if the 405th were indeed to become official, I would not be able to join. The reasons for the age limit (I picked) is that in most states, you are legally an adult at 18. While there are indeed some 14 year olds (Doom :p ) that are more mature than some 24 years olds, that does not change the standards. Eighteen year olds can get hotel rooms and are expected to behave in an adult manner.
The majority of parents anywhere would not let their under 18 child travel to a convention by themselves.
Therefore there is also a chaperone delima. Not all parents want to go to a nerdy convention. So we originally thought we could do a sort of "mini 405th" were the underaged could be an underling, so to speak, of an official member. But, not everyone, 18 or not, wants to be followed or wants to follow someone around the entire convention.
Plus, if anything happens to a minor, the 405th will be automatically blamed for it. If the minor in question is hurt, vandalizes something, or breaks the law in any other manner, the 405th will be the blamed because they were supposed to be protecting the minor.

Also, even if the 405th does become official, that does not necessarily mean the forums will be closed off. So Doom can still use the Banhammer, and you guys can still spam and make Doom angry.

Also guys. If you are a wonderful armorer, this site will glorify you. Regardless of age. We have pepakura(ers?) who make awesome suits, each one different and original that are underage, and yet we glorify their accomplishments. I agree that we can learn things from children, but that's the thing, in the end, we are children and until we reach the age of being legally deemed "adults" we cannot have the same privileges as adults.

Anywho, thanks for the statistics, Spase, they were very interesting and enjoyable.
I'm one of the 18. The few, the proud, the 405th women.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Spase @ Oct 25 2007, 10:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>[disclaimer: these numbers are approximations based on the membership status and numbers provided by the 405th.com website, all opinions expressed within do not represent/reflect the views of the creators of 405th.com, and are only provided for a ZOMG reason]

There are approximately 4600 members registered for the members of the 405th.com, but only 1600 or so are probably actual people.
Roughly based on status alone, of those 1600 people less than 10% of the members of the 405th.com own armor, or have made armor. The number with a full set is likely to be much smaller... (3% - estimate)

Broken down by Gender:

1600 Members Total
1042 No Gender Listed
495 Males
18 Females

Moderators vs Members

6 Forum Moderators
1600 forum members

Broken down by Staus
1 -- Root Admin
5 -- Global Mods
160 -- Vets (50+ posts)
1600 -- Members (< 50 post)
3050 -- Spam Bots... (never signed in or signed in once with no profile views and no posts)
</div>
I'd say 1000 of those "spambots" are real people just in to post once, never, or just download armor peices, you dnt need an account to download armor peices for pep, or read tutorials, but they probably feel they need an account, but do not even use it in the end.

Sarge Christi said:
Anywho, thanks for the statistics, Spase, they were very interesting and enjoyable.
I'm one of the 18. The few, the proud, the 405th women.

/signed ;D

I know that I am very new member to the forums and have not yet started to make my armor, but here are my sentiments on this issue.
I am 17 and I whole-heartedly agree that should 405th become an official organization that there should be 18 year old minimum, and then there shouldn't even be a waiver or anything like for those of us who are under age (simply because it would a nightmare of red tape), but then maybe have the site set up so that it would possible for minors to be a forum-only member. That way minors could still be involved without having any physical attendence and therefore, no legal liability on 405th. Just a thought.

Thanks to Spase for supplying the stats and starting the thread.

I think the age limit should be 16+, there are a few smart kids, but younger than 16, all you get is kids getting their money from mommy and daddy, then never finishing their project, or if they do, it isnt quality, but like I said, there are a few smart and mature kids which use their own money and made something good.

Do you have any stats by state? Country?

I was one of those that joined, but didn't post until recently. I wanted to finish my armor first and try to read as many posts as I could before I opened my big mouth.

These are site stats everybody could look up if they spent the time decifering what you get when you look at the Members of the 405th.com... It isn't broken down by location, but there is a post with a member map... if you are interested to see where people are from...

Kaya Tetsu said:
I get your side of the story,but you don't have to get on a plane to go to a convention. There are local convnetions just about everywhere. What happened to driving? Parents don't have to fly with you either. My little bro has flown by himself before, its just hard to get an tocket for an unaccompanied minor. I do however see the 'legal liability issue' and though I beleive there is a way to solve that problem, there are several thing to keep in mind. For one its up to Adam and whether he wants to deal with it or not. I dod beleive we could have a club like branch to help kids with their armor and prepare them for the 405th when it comes to an age restriction.

couldn't have put it better

the whole age restriction is in no way meant to be unfair, its all legal issues that have been put in place by the US Government

as for forum statistics, that is interesting...and Doom I remember the old forum....I miss the introduction thread....there goes my first post :( anyways I have been here since Feb...and I still have no armor, but I plan to start some soon

ODST General said:
couldn't have put it better

the whole age restriction is in no way meant to be unfair, its all legal issues that have been put in place by the US Government

as for forum statistics, that is interesting...and Doom I remember the old forum....I miss the introduction thread....there goes my first post :( anyways I have been here since Feb...and I still have no armor, but I plan to start some soon

Well my thought on this issue would be to put the limit at 15+ cuz well im 15 and am really interested in this stuff..and don't want to get booted because everyone wants 16+ to limit the smart people versus worthless others... :cautious: so yeah just wanted to put my thoughts on this..

just because its 18+ or legal Adult (if so chosen by Adam) that doesn't mean you will be booted, the fact of the matter is you likely won't be because if Adam didn't want people of all skills new and old to armor making there would be no site, and none of us would be here

I am actually pushing for 18+.

Many of the reasons have already been talked about in this topic and others, but I really do think it would be the best decision despite all the Whining.

We would have to come up with something to get everyone else to calm down, but we will cross that bridge when we come to it.

Anyone know what 501st did? I believe they just let everyone else that wanted to join have to tough it out, I wish we could really do that here but I don't see it really possible with so many under the proper age limit(Including Me :whistle: ).

-Doom

You asked... so here it is.

Membership rules from the 501st regarding age...

A. The 501st Legion is an inclusive, equal-opportunity fan club and will not tolerate discrimination on the grounds of sex, race, sexual orientation, or religion. The only requirements for membership are "ownership" of an accurate, complete, and professional-quality costume celebrating the Imperial (Dark Side) characters from the Star Wars films or its expanded universe sources, that the member is able to wear said costume(s) and that the member must be at least eighteen (18) years of age. Membership is granted only after an application is made to the Legion and by a Garrison Membership Liaison (GML) assigned to the prospective member's geographic region. Persons under the age of 18 are not allowed as listed members of the 501st Legion club. The 501st claims no responsibility for minors at events that are hosted or attended by its members.

They can still participate in the forums at the 501st with no restrictions based on age, but as far as being recognized as a full member, you have to be 18...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back