Naga's Mark Vi Progress Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

NAGA

Jr Member
This last summer, I began work on my first Pepakura project - the Mjolnir Mark VI armor (Halo 3). It's typically said that you shouldn't begin a project with HD pieces, but I believe that as long as you're comfortable and know what you're doing (and you're armed with enough patience...), they're as good a starting point as any other piece. I began the whole project with an HD bicep, worked through the arms and legs, and saved the chest and helmet for last. I felt that the hardest, most critical parts should have the greatest foundation of knowledge and skill to build upon in order to ensure success.

It has been really slow work, having to work around 1) getting married, 2) National Guard obligations, and 3) law school, but dangit, this is important too! So while it's been slow, it's also been steady, and as of now I've finished all the Pepakura work for my suit. At this point, everything has at least one coat of resin, with some parts already fiberglassed. I'll go ahead and stop writing now and just throw down some of the pictures I took up to this point:

3935123427_ef9a1c26f5.jpg

3935904686_73a09a6d17.jpg

3935904706_35cf374bc1.jpg

3969616258_9db4f1c626.jpg

3935123545_f9aaaf7440.jpg

---

Here's a shot with the last chest size tester I constructed. I couldn't decide between a 45cm tall and a 43cm tall piece, and ultimately built a 44cm piece and called it good.

3979315070_ae67314eac.jpg

---

And finally I moved on to the helmet, which was a weird experience. The helmet, while much easier than the chest, took at least twice as long because I was so burnt out by the long hours I had just put into the chest. Eventually, it started coming together. Here's a shot I took of the helmet before finalizing it, just to confirm that my helmet size tester (not pictured) wasn't some strange anomaly of fitment:

4091521925_e3486b90b0.jpg

And with construction complete:

4092285644_8739855a03.jpg

---

Here's a comparison shot that I really just can't get over. Mad props to the guys who design these models (Flying Squirrel, in this case). The accuracy of the models that they make possible for us to build is astounding. This is placed next to Kennanator's Legendary helmet (that's your shout-out, Kenna):

4092285684_a23f99ea70.jpg

---

And all laid out (I got so excited taking this picture):

4123360881_e2fcbefd00.jpg

(The AR next to it is undersized by 3 inches or so, I know.)

As far as scaling goes, I used custom measurement based on pictures and reference points. If anyone here had the chance to see Abrant3's Youtube tutorial series, that's exactly what I did. To be honest, I really don't like a lot of the other scaling methods, as they will get you close, but the end result will not be perfect. In my opinion, this is the best method for scaling any piece, hands-down.

MY QUESTIONS:

- What do you guys think I should do for the boots? I'm torn between cutting out the bottoms and allowing my boots to be in direct contact with the ground (though practically invisible), and rubber-coating the bottoms of the boots and just using them as they are. I'm open to suggestions.

- With the weather getting as cold as it is, is there anything I can reasonably make progress on between now and warmer months? I'm really at a loss, here. If I get desperate enough, I'll build a heating box. I'm really wishing my apartment had a garage.

---

So that's my suit thus far. I'll be making progress posts as progress is made, but I'm not sure how quickly that progress will come now that winter is upon us. As far as the future goes, I fully intend to bondo every piece and smooth them down to perfection. Also on my list is the inclusion of neodymium magnets for weapon attachment, LEDs, fans, and maybe an in-helmet microphone... but that's a long way down the road. Oh, and I'm planning on using JediStumpy's method of strengthening the helmet with about 4 layers of Smoothcast casting resin (which should be in the mail right now).

Other than that, I can't think of much else to write about this at the moment. Like I've said, I'm open to comments, criticism, and suggestions. As well, if anyone has any questions about any of the methods I've used or anything of the sort, I'll be happy to answer them. Thanks for taking the time to read all of this! Let me know what you think :)

Fantastic work. Your scaling is perfect. As far as your boots go, I think it would be best to go with your first idea of taking off the bottom and letting the actual boot itself touch the ground. Just attach it on top and on the sides, and you should be good. As far as cold weather goes, I have resined in about 30 degree weather, and all I did was use a little extra hardener and a heat lamp. It ends up being just a little brittle, but in conjunction with fiberglass, it turns out just fine. I believe it should work the same with bondo, but I haven't tested that yet. Some of the other more veteran builders probably have a few tricks for you though.

Again, beautiful work on the peping.

Fantastic work! I know what you mean about OK being cold, i'm down here in Norman, the centralized a/c in my apartment makes for a good heat box, if only I didn't have to worry about fumes lol But seriously... looks great!

looks great! as for your questions. I would go with your regular boots and just having that upper armor on them. that way you'll prevent wear on the rubber you made personally for the boots. They arent going to be seen anyway, so i say MEH!

I dont have a heatbox, but i do have one of those weird, sort-of-fans but not really that only emit heat. It looks like a fan, but without blades and it can direct a lot of heat to one place, it's meant for heating rooms. That's what i used for my SMG, it took half the time it was supposed to take with just sunlight and all that, and it was -3 degrees out!

As for the boots, i'll be the third to say it....cut the bottoms out and attatch them to a regular set of boots.

I have never heat boxed anything, if it's warm enough out i use fiberglass resin outside and if i need to do it inside because of the cold weather i use casting resin and slush cast the inside. As long as you use small amounts and all your outer joints and seams are sealed you should have no problems.

- With the weather getting as cold as it is, is there anything I can reasonably make progress on between now and warmer months? I'm really at a loss, here. If I get desperate enough, I'll build a heating box. I'm really wishing my apartment had a garage.

well I was going to say that you can still bondo in the cold, but then I read on and saw that you don't have a garage, so it wouldn't really work. are you good at sculpting? you could try sculpting some props during the cold months, that's what I'm going to do over the winter. Other than that I'm not sure what you could do. if you dont mind the cold, fiberglassing and bondo(ing) still works in the cold, I made my whole helmet during last winter.

hey I also used Abrant3's scaling method! I like it a lot because its really easy to work with.

wow . this is excellent work ! Wish i have more time to do a HD suit. Anyway, agree with the others on the boot part. resin the boot and cut the bottom part according to you shoe size. I make mine slightly tight so i dont hv to insert any velcro to make it stick ..

NAGA said:

try using epoxy resin it will run double what polyester resin (right about $60 for a gallon if i remember correctly) and uses fiberglass mate or cloth.

Then you could fiberglass indoors with no fumes and in a warmer climate it is a little upfront but what is 30 bucks for what you going to spend over all on the costume

also smooth cast does work for the rest of the pieces i believe dan mkVI (in the pep section) i believe he used smooth cast for most of his pieces

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the compliments guys - it really means a lot to me. As far as the boots go, I was leaning a bit in that direction, but wasn't really sure. In all the videos you find (as well as pictures) it's really hard to see what people have going on down there... it's not exactly a focal point of the armor. But I guess if people typically go that route, and I can't tell, then the strategy clearly works.

@ Spartan 051 - In terms of epoxy resin, that cost scares me. But I guess if I'm getting desperate enough to consider going out and buying materials to build a heating box, that would work as well. So that's actually a pretty good idea. However, I might just one of the heating fans like Ghost147 mentioned and use the resin I already have. We'll see. I might just fall into a coma after my finals and sleep through the winter anyway, so this could all be a moot issue.

@ Condor - I've actually never sculpted anything, so that's probably not going to happen for me. While I like to consider myself an artist *sometimes*, I have far more faith in the Pepakura system than I do in my own artistic sculpting abilities... that stuff can go so badly so easily. But if I wasn't a bit of a wuss, that would be a great idea :)

ForRuneScape said:
Very....Cool :) besides, are you in us army?

Thanks, and yeah. 1LT in the Army National Guard and combat engineer platoon leader.

Adam Anderson said:
also how tall are you? im about to do my chest and im wondering if your size is going to be simiar to mine.

I'm about 6' 1.5" tall. Be careful though, as each person's torso will differ from one another. A lot of people like to rely on overall height to determine the sizes of little pieces, but the method ignores the differences that exist in each person's build. My chest piece is 44cm tall, but another person my exact same height could end up with something smaller or bigger based on torso length or shoulder width. For example, if I didn't have the undersuit that I have, I probably would have gone with a 43cm tall piece. My best advice is to measure from where your elbow meets your side up to the bottom of your ear - that's the height that you should be shooting for. One or two tester pieces later, and you'll have the right size to build. And I'll be happy to share the rest of my sizing data if you or anyone else is interested, too.

---

Please keep the comments and criticism coming, as they are always welcome and I'm always looking for ways to improve and perfect what I'm doing. Again, guys, thanks for the advice and compliments. I'll do my best to answer any questions anyone may have, as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back