New Foam Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to mention it can look as good, is more comfortable, lightweight, flexible... it goes on and on....

im just tellin you guys, it is cheaper and what not, but still comes apart just as easy. i had to deal an entire day without a boot because, 15 steps, its broken, and i kept trying to fix it... maybe my left foot is just retarded. im not sure what you meant by the thighs, i just followed the blueprints. for the knees, i just made an adjustable connection from the front of the thigh to the front of the shin, and the knee guard held it in place when wrapped around. i do not suggest this though because this made sitting down very difficult unless someone decides to use bungee straps. and thank you all for the compliments.

the knees were very uncomfortable, use some sort of bungee

and p.s. i am horrible with pep. would not get the details that way like i could with foam

Epic, just epic. Everytime I look at your thread I get the itch to make a MK V, well done.

@Halogoddess: I had the same problem with the thighs, for the inside area I used 10mm foam for the lower "stress" area and used 3mm foam for the upper "meaty" area. I also used a dremel with barrel sander and ground out the inside until it fit nicely.

As far as paper vs foam goes the foam is light, fast to make and very durable. The paper method is heavy, slow to make and in my opinion is asthetically pleasing (looks better to the naked eye). I think alot of people will start with foam as you can make it quick and avoid the impatience factor. The foam is also easy to repair, I've had a few small tears and other minor stress damage, easy to reglue and also easy to add details or addons.

For those of you who might be interested the link after this is of EVA foam mats for CHEAP. I was going to start with foam and doing some research its hella expensive everywhere but that plus shipping and if your a student and have amazon prime you should get free shipping. They have other options other than that large but its a great deal compared to others anywhere not online. Then you can go dremel yourself some armor really easily.

http://www.amazon.com/Sell-Mats-Anti-fatige-Interlocking-Flooring-each/dp/B001EH7PIS

well, thanks for posting that here

and another bit of information, find your local harbor freights (even though i am certain that will be difficult). that is where i try to get mine on the account that they have the mats at 4(2'x2')-$10. which is a pretty good deal

and that was sarcasm, you couldve posted that in your own thread

For those of you who might be interested the link after this is of EVA foam mats for CHEAP. I was going to start with foam and doing some research its hella expensive everywhere but that plus shipping and if your a student and have amazon prime you should get free shipping. They have other options other than that large but its a great deal compared to others anywhere not online. Then you can go dremel yourself some armor really easily.

http://www.amazon.com/Sell-Mats-Anti-fatige-Interlocking-Flooring-each/dp/B001EH7PIS

That is a decent price, have you bought this item, or the same mats in a smaller quantity? I am asking because they are double sided mats and I am wondering if that means they have texture on both sides. I wouldn't want to buy 30 mats and find out they are no good for armor.

edit: I looked a little harder and no, you would not want to buy these for making armor, they have texture on both sides.

I have not bought them yet, though I do plan on it, but it will be used for a different type of sculpture project I am working on.

Here is a list of their full inventory of what they sell, different amounts of mat (3 pages):
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_sr_s...&node=3375251&field-brandtextbin=We Sell Mats

If you are worried about doubled sided you could always contact the seller and I am sure they would get back to you on that, or even as if they can make the mat, one sided, for the same price as however many you want.

You could just sand one side down or dremel off the pattern on one side and make it flush with the base of the mat.

So how is the mobility with the midsection attached? Did it flex well and allow you to move normally or did you get a bit of the robotic movements from wearing it?

So how is the mobility with the midsection attached? Did it flex well and allow you to move normally or did you get a bit of the robotic movements from wearing it?

it was... fine haha. yea, i could barely move at all in that suit. sitting down was awful, which ripped several parts. walking was fair. didnt get the chance to try running because my left book would fall apart after 20 steps. i personally think i could have done a better job with everything. but ya know, its a learning process. if i ever get enough money, flex foam rubber molds will be my calling haha

it was... fine haha. yea, i could barely move at all in that suit. sitting down was awful, which ripped several parts. walking was fair. didnt get the chance to try running because my left book would fall apart after 20 steps. i personally think i could have done a better job with everything. but ya know, its a learning process. if i ever get enough money, flex foam rubber molds will be my calling haha

So your boots were completely made from foam? I had no problems with my boots. I first tested them out by walking around the house doing normal activities.......they seemed to hold up just fine. As another test, I ran through the house.........still worked fine. Then I went outside; walked and ran and they STILL held up! I don't know what I did so differently, but I DID use Calladar's idea for making the boots and just and slightly refined his idea. :p

my right boot was sturdy as all heck, but i dont know what was wrong with the left one, it was built exactly the same. maybe its my foot or something haha

I know its been a long time, meant to post this months ago.
i haz a mannequin.

1229110152.jpg

ill get you guys better quality pictures soon, might repaint the whole thing anyway

Attachments

• 1229110152.jpg
    1229110152.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 165
That's pretty cool, I think it'd scare the tar out of me more often than not though..

So i finally got around to finishing the helmet, its a little small, but i put latches and hinges on the neck seal part so i could fit my melon in. Still a tight fit, but it works. Also have a larger scaled one in process.

image-2.jpg

also... it is a crossover for now hahaha. Ill be wearing it with my mando costume on account that im not entirely pleased with the bucket i made for that costume. but, I think this works quire nicely

image-1.jpg

Attachments

• image-2.jpg
    image-2.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 158
  • image-1.jpg
    image-1.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 163
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back