New York Comic Con 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
11+ days guys! Almost there :D

Oh, quick question. Does anyone know where I can buy those orange caps that go on the barrels of our guns so that people can tell that they're props and not real weapons? I know we're supposed to have them for the con, but I have no idea where to get em.

I would assume we will be directed to weapons check , where they will do all that. That's normal protcol for cons.

If not you could justs quickly fab up a plug with a bit of foam, cardboard/resin, or plastic and paint it with the brightest orange you can find, that way you know it will fit. Might be good enough without having to get an "official" marker.

I usually have a roll of bright orange electrical tape for my con weapons that looks like guns. I'll have till I get the "offical" con tag. Just wrap the top of the Barrle and your good

This will work, wont it?

B91DA945-392B-48C6-9B6D-62D7D624669E-398-0000002BB3ABDAC6_zps340741ba.jpg

I've built my BR so the compensator is removable. I have a tip that looks sort of realistic...

01-1.jpg

and a tip with an orange end...

32384_4922094212757_1922605157_n.jpg

So.....I'm having a bit of a problem and I would like to get some input from other prop makers. I emailed NYCC inquiry about 2 days ago asking if the grenade launcher would be allowed on the show floor. They responded with this:

"Hello,

Unfortunately the weapon looks real from a distance therefore it would not be allowed on the show floor. We apologize.

Regards,
Customer Service"

Last I checked, the launcher met all of the requirements (it's made out of foam, it has an orange tip, its lightweight, it has no moving parts, etc.). So basically, my question is, should I still bring it to the con? And also since I'm only going for Saturday and am taking the train down, I wouldn't have anyplace to store it if they wouldn't allow it in the con. I have talked to a few people already and they all said to bring it to the con still, but I'm just not sure. I don't want to lose it, but I really want to bring it to the con. Please leave feedback as it would be very useful to aid in my decision. Thanks!

As a general rule, if the people in charge say don't bring it, then don't bring it. Wanting to carry around a cool prop isn't worth having it confiscated and/or getting booted out of the con.

So.....I'm having a bit of a problem and I would like to get some input from other prop makers. I emailed NYCC inquiry about 2 days ago asking if the grenade launcher would be allowed on the show floor. They responded with this:

"Hello,

Unfortunately the weapon looks real from a distance therefore it would not be allowed on the show floor. We apologize.

Regards,
Customer Service"

Last I checked, the launcher met all of the requirements (it's made out of foam, it has an orange tip, its lightweight, it has no moving parts, etc.). So basically, my question is, should I still bring it to the con? And also since I'm only going for Saturday and am taking the train down, I wouldn't have anyplace to store it if they wouldn't allow it in the con. I have talked to a few people already and they all said to bring it to the con still, but I'm just not sure. I don't want to lose it, but I really want to bring it to the con. Please leave feedback as it would be very useful to aid in my decision. Thanks!

I would say that on the train on the way there, have it hidden in a bag or backpack so people dont get suspicious that its real. As far as the gun itself, you may want to do what Carpathia did and put a removable, but much more obvious, orange tip on it, like one thing I've done with guns i dont want to paint orange is to take a piece of masking tape and paint it orange, then wrap it around the tip of the gun. So then you have an orange tip that isn't permanently painted on the gun.

"Unfortunately the weapon looks real from a distance therefore it would not be allowed on the show floor. We apologize."

Honestly the grenade launcher (if fairly game-accurate) wouldn't look too much like any real weapon that I know of, but this is not about my, or any of our, personal opinions. The coordinators were contacted, and they said don't bring it. Bringing it anyway, sneaking it in, that's only going to cause trouble. Many conventions don't allow any props that look even remotely like a weapon. Some make allowances if the prop is cleared first. This prop was not cleared. Call me a wet blanket or a goody-two-shoes, but when the people in charge tell you not to bring something that could potentially (slim as that might be) cause a panic, you leave it at home and that's the end of it. Period.

Well I emailed NYCC inquiry back 2 days ago and they have emailed me back saying:

"Hi,

You should be okay with that but you will still need to check in with security when you get to the convention center. They would make the final decision.

Regards,

Customer Service"

So I guess that means I can take it :D Problem solved!

It's good that you got that cleared up. Hopefully security clears it as well. It's disappointing enough having to leave something you've worked hard on behind, even more so to bring it there just to have security say no. But at least at that point you can keep it safe in your hotel room.

Might want to consider putting your name on it somehow, or some other distinguishing mark just in case security doesn't clear it and you have to leave it with them (or someone else on the convention staff), that way you can identify it after and prove that it's yours.

That's probably a good idea for everyone, actually, and with anything that might come loose, fall off, or need to be left somewhere. Maybe a name plate or etching somewhere inconspicuous with your name and some way to contact you if you lose it and it gets picked up by someone else at the con.

Hey GUYS!!!

My camera man and I will be looking to shoot a video of us on Sat! We want to try and get over to Times Square and do something there. This is OUR home. It's our turn to make some epic vids and take awesome pics of OUR neck of the woods!

I'll see you guys at the RvB booth as close to 1pm as I can. I'll be rockin' my Oceanic prismatic armor with INCINERATION CANNON!!!!

I took a test run of the suit before comic con, and I'd say it went pretty well! Can't wait to see you all there!

20D68FD6-8A80-4CB5-803B-C69252B1D9E7-299-00000010AE147208_zpsc3eba627.jpg

And as for the video in Time Square, it'd have to be anytime before 4:30 because I have to catch the train at 5:40.

Wow, all of your suits of armor are awesome! I've yet to actually finish mine, I only have a week for fitting and finishing the neck guard, and adding two more lights, one more for helmet and one for the right shoulder. And then paint 2 hand plates and one shin and then fitting time! Not a bad schedule, but with the weather recently, painting may be more of a trouble than it is supposed to be, due to holding it off for so long... And I tried taking picks with what I have currently, but seeing as it isn't fitted, non of them look very good, so I'll hold off on that until the end of this week, and if that doesn't happen, then I guess you'll see me at NYCC!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back