barebones

Starting a plasma rifle build ! Im going to take my time on this one and make it absolutely perfect. Heres a picture of what I have printed so far, with a banana (lol) for scale. More info concerning paints and other plans coming soon !
20230810_201140.jpg

Looks awesome so far! Gotta love the banana for scale lol. Looks life-sized, too; how long did these pieces take to print? Can't wait to see more!

Alright, here we are with another progress update, sorry for the delay, been super busy these past few days with school and stuff. Anyways, progress ! The rest of the rifle is printed out and I sanded more parts to 180, then primed them. Not shown in this picture, the 2 black pars are also sanded and primed, and I have the ends of each rifle being glued to the middle part of the top and bottom at the moment, as well as the two halves of the handle being glued together. Im going to sand the fronts a bitore and fill them with bondo a bit just because some supports failed on the inside but the parts are still very much usable. My next step is to get this thing all together and smooth seams before I even think about paint. (also because im broke )
8980c571-d9de-4935-9f81-5bc2d32f6955.jpg

That's a nice looking model, did you model it yourself? If not, any chance you can drop the link for the STL?

Seeing the banana for scale reminds me how big some of these weapons really are, always blows my mind to see them full-scale.

That's a nice looking model, did you model it yourself? If not, any chance you can drop the link for the STL?

Seeing the banana for scale reminds me how big some of these weapons really are, always blows my mind to see them full-scale.
I didn't model it myself, it was modeled by a guy named titlewavedesigns (on etsy).
Link: Plasma Rifle 3d Print File - Etsy
And yeah covenant arent small thats for sure.

How many kg of filament will it take to fully print it? It looks huge! And what is your infill and wall thickness?

It looks AMAZING!

How many kg of filament will it take to fully print it? It looks huge! And what is your infill and wall thickness?

It looks AMAZING!
I think about 3.5 kg of filament because I used a 20% infill with the gyroid infill.
And thank you :)

Alright ! another progress update. i feel like im doing too many of these but I want to document the entire process for a reason i cant explain lol. Anyways, the entire rifle is primed and sanded to 220 dry sand. the top 3 pieces and the bottom 3 are glued together, so the next step is to glue the top half and bottom half to the handle, fill in the seam lines, then sand to 400 wet. ive already started the top piece to the handle. honorable mention to the fins at the end of the bottom half that were warping and giving me trouble, so for all 4 fins, i melted a piece of metal wire to help with stability. fingers crossed that it works. heres some pictures of the sanded piece. will be discussing paint next post and putting in afew votes for you guys :)

IMG20230820134116.jpg
IMG20230820133208.jpg
16925650985614763712547929760007.jpg

Last edited:
Finally, after a while, the rifle is on its last round of bondo, then filler primer, then sanding ! Which means it's time to start discussing and thinking about paint. My first idea is to use custom paints brand aerosol cans, just because I do not currently have an hvlp setup. Below are the two paints I am trying to decide between at the moment for the purply-blue covenant part, but I'm kind of struggling because I think the first one might be a little too light of a color and a little too pink, and the second one I think the colors might be a little off, like it looks like a different shade of blue, almost a teal. Obviously, it would be ideal to just buy both and test them and see them in person, but that gets expensive sooooo fast. (35 bucks for a 12-ounce can !!!) If you could let me know your opinion on the color, that would be very appreciated ! Also, I'm planning on doing the hex pattern on the rifle, and I am not too sure how I'll do that yet, I was thinking of just putting a vinyl stencil on then clearcoat, and then some parts will be matte but I'm not too sure how well that will work :( . As always, any ideas are very welcome and very appreciated !
Heathercutout_1800x1800.jpg
blue passion paint.jpg

For the handle and most of the darker grey parts, I think that I'm going to go with the metallic charcoal for the darker parts and the weathered steel for the lighter parts. The weathered steel might be a bit too light, so I'm hoping to tone down the color with (more) weathering and probably a blackwash. The paints that I'm referring to are pictured below. I've also included a paint reference image for the look I'm going for.
charcoal paint.jpg
hammered steel paint.jpg
H2A_Render_PlasmaRifle.jpg

For the black detail parts and the red detail parts, I think ill just hand-paint it with some homemade stencils as well. or 3D print the stencils in TPU if I can get a good enough reference image that I can just put into the slicer and it lets me print a flat stencil. For the design on the top, I am not sure if it is on both sides, and I'm not sure what to do with it, as it's a pretty complicated design and I doubt ill be able to find a black and white flat image of it. (Ideas welcome :p ) For the little laser/tazer thing at the front, if I do end up doing it, I'll probably just find a very small length of the glowy LED wire, I'll put a picture below.
glowy wire.jpg

Anyways, I think that that's it for now, help and opinions needed and appreciated with the things mentioned ! Have a fabulous rest of your day and go kill some grunts !

Was thinking about also making some Plasma Rifles at some point due to my lack of Covenant weaponry, and I gotta say your paint choice looks top tier! Let me know how you like that paint!

Was thinking about also making some Plasma Rifles at some point due to my lack of Covenant weaponry, and I gotta say your paint choice looks top tier! Let me know how you like that paint!
Yeah of course! Titlewavedesigns is an awesome designer which I guess you know well lol.

Holy cow I can't wait to see your final product! You have to show us a dark photo so we can see the glow. And I love your paint choice! And you are on the right track to get your cool hex pattern effect. I see people do something similar with a carbon fiber look:

Holy cow I can't wait to see your final product! You have to show us a dark photo so we can see the glow. And I love your paint choice! And you are on the right track to get your cool hex pattern effect. I see people do something similar with a carbon fiber look:
This is actually incredibly helpful, thank you so much ! Reminds me that I don't just have to get a vinyl sheet and that there's other solutions !

For the colour I'd go with the lighter paint. If you do any shadows or weathering you can always make the paint appear darker. I think the first paint will suit the look better.

Love the LED wire idea! It's gonna look siiick!

For the colour I'd go with the lighter paint. If you do any shadows or weathering you can always make the paint appear darker. I think the first paint will suit the look better.

Love the LED wire idea! It's gonna look siiick!
For the paint yeah I was thinking about this, but I don't really know how the metallics will react with weathering and I kinda don't want to dull the metallic... I'm still not totally sure, so I may take a bit more time and earn a bit more money and just buy both cans and see which one I like better in real life. Maybe. Still not totally sure. But thank you so much for your input I really appreciate it ! :)

I made a small plasma pistol earlier this year with blue-purple colour changing paint. While I wouldn't recommend doing a black wash over the whole thing, doing shadows in the corners with an airbrush really makes the purple colours pop! I think in your case the lighter colour will look better if you go with this method. Even without the shadows I think the lighter colour suits the covenant style a bit better. Though I could just be more fond of blue... I'd like to head some other people's opinions on the matter actually

My plasma pistol:
IMG_0497.jpg

I made a small plasma pistol earlier this year with blue-purple colour changing paint. While I wouldn't recommend doing a black wash over the whole thing, doing shadows in the corners with an airbrush really makes the purple colours pop! I think in your case the lighter colour will look better if you go with this method. Even without the shadows I think the lighter colour suits the covenant style a bit better. Though I could just be more fond of blue... I'd like to head some other people's opinions on the matter actually

My plasma pistol:
View attachment 335242
Is there a specific airbrush you recommend ? And yeah I think I agree with you, that lighter colors might look better and more covanenty, especially with the shadows in the corners. Also, awesome job on your plasma pistol that thing looks so clean !!!

This thread is more than 6 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back