Props Type 32 Rapid Attack Vehicle (AKA Ghost)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Snap-off swill give you a "new" point....but the rest of the edge of the blade will still be as dull as a spoon............

Truth, I'm snapping off a three section chunk at a time on average though, that varies with foam thickness of course.

Truth, I'm snapping off a three section chunk at a time on average though, that varies with foam thickness of course.
Damn. Snapping off 3 section chunk????
Now I feel like I am being super frugal with my blades. I used up two blades for Project Mini Chief. I was constantly sharpening and only snapped off the end when it was extremely worn down and rounded. :oops:

I'm even more frugal than that. I've been working on my foam-board M247H and I haven't changed the blade yet. I wait till the tip of my exacto breaks off....then switch out for a new blade....It's going on for over a month now. Dude, you are wasting so much $$$.

Benton188, what kind of hot knife blade do you use when cutting foam? I've never had much luck with EVA cutting using a hot knife and have just given up on using it in general, the problem could definitely be the blade.

I use just standard hot knife blades from Hobby Lobby, and a I use them with a wood burning kit knife. I have to crank the heat up to max to get the best cutting result, plus keeping the blade clean helps. Once the blade starts getting a little bit of foam build up I'll grind off the excess foam and re-sharpen the blade with my Dremel. As for standard exacto or 9mm blade knives to me it's not worth spending the extra time to re-sharpen them.

UPDATE!!
More progress on the Ghost. The seat and...gas tank area?...the little bridge between the seat and the main body. They're both now attached to a 2x6 which supports the rider and holds the PVC for the front frame. All the front frame PVC work is done as well. Working on the wings now, their PVC frames, and finishing up the handle bars. I'll eventually go back and clean up the underside so you don't see as much wood. Final pic has a good image of just how long it is.

24991095_2083001821713637_6444048356674646292_n.jpg
24900219_2083001771713642_421227364405450398_n.jpg
24909992_2083001965046956_2245006071438969099_n.jpg
24991176_2083001878380298_8914765647382463450_n.jpg

I'm even more frugal than that. I've been working on my foam-board M247H and I haven't changed the blade yet. I wait till the tip of my exacto breaks off....then switch out for a new blade....It's going on for over a month now. Dude, you are wasting so much $$$.

Another great option I discovered awhile back are surgical blades, they do the exact same thing as an exacto knife but are pennies compared to them. Something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01F8KFFW...QP&pd_rd_r=JXCW14JF1N9DJRGVK230&pd_rd_w=aOjxE

This link doesn't have the exact same blade style as an exacto knife but you can find one after a little digging on Amazon, I have about two boxes of them and haven't had to buy a blade for over 2 years.

UPDATE!!
More progress on the Ghost. The seat and...gas tank area?...the little bridge between the seat and the main body. They're both now attached to a 2x6 which supports the rider and holds the PVC for the front frame. All the front frame PVC work is done as well. Working on the wings now, their PVC frames, and finishing up the handle bars. I'll eventually go back and clean up the underside so you don't see as much wood. Final pic has a good image of just how long it is.

View attachment 251547 View attachment 251548 View attachment 251549 View attachment 251550
Fantastic work!! Where do you put your feet?
Also, may I ask about the 360 controller on your wall what's the pole on the base for.

Fantastic work!! Where do you put your feet?
Also, may I ask about the 360 controller on your wall what's the pole on the base for.

Normally on the Ghost your feet would sit on little pegs underneath with your legs kicking out in front. For mine I think I might add two pegs off base of the scooter body almost as if you were sitting in a chair. Out any far forward and there's nothing really sturdy to attach to other than the handlebar shaft which needs to turn.

Also, the Xbox controller with the attached stick is a sword. Different little project I made one night when I was bored.

UPDATE!!
Wings are finished and now I'm working on their framework and finding the best way to make them easily attachable/detachable. Thinking I might run a small strip of velcro along the wing and where it attaches to the body since the PVC is holding most the weight. I'm also trying to figure out how much detail I want to add to the Ghost in terms of small details. I might just seal it, paint it, and then move onto adding LEDs and building the battery.

25352105_2090318387648647_7127853120351800293_o.jpg

Very nice job it’s starting to really look like a ghost with that wing on there. It would be funny to put some kid maybe around say 5 or so ripping around on the thing. It’ll make the size a look really scale plus it would just be awesome lol.

Last edited:
I also came across this cool looking die cast metal toy Ghost on Google images. Really digging the color scheme on this.

Die cast ghost.jpg

Normally on the Ghost your feet would sit on little pegs underneath with your legs kicking out in front. For mine I think I might add two pegs off base of the scooter body almost as if you were sitting in a chair. Out any far forward and there's nothing really sturdy to attach to other than the handlebar shaft which needs to turn.
How sturdy is the 2x6/ the PVC shaft? Maybe you could run some bits off the side of those...

How sturdy is the 2x6/ the PVC shaft? Maybe you could run some bits off the side of those...
The 2x6 is very sturdy, the PVC is not. I might be able to run something off the 2x6 out front of the wheel, I'll look into it :)

UPDATE!!
The metallic purple paint looks really good, but the silver still needs a few coats, as well as the black. Also found out that Walmart has stepped up their LED game, and now offer 2- 12" strip LEDs with a controller to change it to 15 different colors for $25. $5 more than just the basic color strips. Going to add the strips on the bottom to give the ghost a nice underglow effect. I'll still add lights to the front for the guns, and the back of the wings for the boost as well.

25994826_2109813115699174_859273024603011568_n.jpg

True this needs to be in the parade......but I can't wait to see this at NYC CC!!! It is a Colonial vehicle after all.....

Woah! I'll be honest I was worried that they polygonal pep model style construction was going to distract from the overall build. But, once you put that metallic purple paint on there I got really giddy! Looking forward to more details and lights and stuff. Great work Benton188 ! I hope the weather gets good soon too so we can start seeing more tank!! :D

Woah! I'll be honest I was worried that they polygonal pep model style construction was going to distract from the overall build. But, once you put that metallic purple paint on there I got really giddy! Looking forward to more details and lights and stuff. Great work Benton188 ! I hope the weather gets good soon too so we can start seeing more tank!! :D
Yeah I'm still working on getting smoother edges on my foam builds so hopefully in the future everything can look a little less polygonal. Also, I'm really wanting to get back to work on the tank too, but it's going to have to wait until spring. Tank is currently buried under 5 feet of snow lol

No, your seems are fine. It really is coming out great. Once you get some of those details built and painted like the scale model you showed, it is going to look spectacular!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back