What sparked your interest in this hobby? I've got to know!

My first Halo game was Reach and I played it when I first got an Xbox in 2011. Even though I went back and played the previous games and all the new ones that came out, I always found myself going back to Reach. So one day I was playing Reach in 2015 and I'm just looking at my armor thinking about how cool it would be to have that armor in real life. I hadn't been to a convention yet and didn't know cosplay was a thing. I literally just opened up Google images and searched "Halo armor in real life" and there were results of people in Halo armor! I thought that's neat, but how did they make it? Then I Googled "How to make Halo armor" and found a bunch of YouTube videos. I remember watching Impact Props, Tim Winn, and Adam Grumbo. I've always liked being hands on and building stuff myself, so after hours of watching videos, I wanted to give it a go! All of the videos mentioned pepakura and getting templates from the 405th and that's how I found my way here. I ended up making my first helmet, a grenadier using pepakura.

Then I started college for engineering and got too busy to work on pep (it takes so long). A few years later at SDCC 2017, I met a group of Halo cosplayers and a lot of them talked about using foam. I decided to give foam a go and I wasn't quite getting it how I wanted. I didn't have too much time to work on it still because of college. I decided to take a break from trying to make armor. Then it took a pandemic in 2020 to give me some free time. By then I had learned about 3d printing through my classes and I saw a fully 3d printed spartan Daisy suit made by SkookumProps on Instagram. That's when I knew the 3d printing route would be good for me. I was able to set up prints in the mornings, nights, or in between classes. The armor would print while I was in class and I could sand during breaks. I did get to go back and do some foam work for my final suit and it's something I still want to try some more of.

So the day was December 28th, 2019. I was visiting a relatives house who had just recently purchased a 3D printer. I had no idea that 3D printing was possible until that day, so when I found out how inexpensive these machines were (at least compared to what I was expecting) I knew I had to get one. I played around with my new CR-10 for a while, and eventually decided to print a Master Chief helmet. (I only knew of this helmet through Red Vs Blue, which I knew of from a friend who watched it.) This got me thinking, "I wonder what the actual game is like".

Up to this point the only video game I had ever played was Minecraft java edition. I did not own an Xbox so I ended up playing the halo CE campaign on the old gearbox PC port. This game blew me away. I didn't even care that the graphics were older than me (this was March of 2020 and I was 16 at that time) this game instantly became my favourite. I played halo 2 on PC as well. This was April of 2020, so most of the Master Chief Collection wasn't on PC. I did manage to get the halo 3 campaign running on PC with an emulator, but my potato of a computer could only run it at like 15 fps, so I knew I would have to find an Xbox.
I remember the days when I first heard of a 3D printer. Of course, the one I heard of back then was around $5000 so it wasn't a realistic option. It was just some sort of mythical device that could make things out of plastic with witchcraft for all I knew. :lol:

I was lucky enough to have saved enough money mowing lawns in middle school to get an Xbox 360, which I got bundled with Halo 3: ODST. I had dial-up internet at the time and remember playing multiplayer with it. You can imagine how that went (if you know how slow dial-up is), but it was still a good time with friends. Later on, I wanted to play Metroid Prime on my laptop with an emulator and I had a very similar experience with that as you did with Halo 3. It was a solid 15-20 fps with tons of slow-motion sequences (non-intentional ones, of course).

I found andrewDFT and watched his videos and subsequently found the 405th.com when looking for templates.
But i was in college and didn't have any funds to put towards it so I lurked the forums for about 2 years and our apartment after that had no space for a craft zone.
As soon as we moved into our house I realized I finally had no excuse not to build the armor i've wanted for so long on. I ended up using the armory files and as much as i regret doing pepakura for the helmet, it really taught me some patience and to trust the process. Though foam was definitely my strong suit. After starting the odst and getting help from everyone and reading a massive amount of build threads I realized I could do it and was very happy I started in the first place.

As someone who had no art inclination to the age of 22 I was able to do a lot more then I thought and always try to tell people the same if they ever say it's something that they could never do.
That was pretty much my experience as well. I got a job, had extra money, played Halo with some friends and was like: "Wait a minute... I can do this now." I use a 3D printer, but I did try foam at one point. Just wasn't for me since I have too little patience.

My first Halo game was Reach and I played it when I first got an Xbox in 2011. Even though I went back and played the previous games and all the new ones that came out, I always found myself going back to Reach. So one day I was playing Reach in 2015 and I'm just looking at my armor thinking about how cool it would be to have that armor in real life. I hadn't been to a convention yet and didn't know cosplay was a thing. I literally just opened up Google images and searched "Halo armor in real life" and there were results of people in Halo armor! I thought that's neat, but how did they make it? Then I Googled "How to make Halo armor" and found a bunch of YouTube videos. I remember watching Impact Props, Tim Winn, and Adam Grumbo. I've always liked being hands on and building stuff myself, so after hours of watching videos, I wanted to give it a go! All of the videos mentioned pepakura and getting templates from the 405th and that's how I found my way here. I ended up making my first helmet, a grenadier using pepakura.

Then I started college for engineering and got too busy to work on pep (it takes so long). A few years later at SDCC 2017, I met a group of Halo cosplayers and a lot of them talked about using foam. I decided to give foam a go and I wasn't quite getting it how I wanted. I didn't have too much time to work on it still because of college. I decided to take a break from trying to make armor. Then it took a pandemic in 2020 to give me some free time. By then I had learned about 3d printing through my classes and I saw a fully 3d printed spartan Daisy suit made by SkookumProps on Instagram. That's when I knew the 3d printing route would be good for me. I was able to set up prints in the mornings, nights, or in between classes. The armor would print while I was in class and I could sand during breaks. I did get to go back and do some foam work for my final suit and it's something I still want to try some more of.
Halo Reach was absolute peak for me. So many fond memories of that campaign, forge, multiplayer, just everything. I remember going trick-or-treating back when it came out (I was a Yellow Angy Bird, if you must know) and saw that one of the people had it on their TV. I was like "That's a good game :cool:." and the 17 year old looking dude simply said: "Yep." I don't know why I remember that so well, but I definitely do.

But yeah, 3D printing has been super nice. I have a full time job, so getting to let it run while I'm at work and overnight is just awesome. Until it has an issue and I only find out 8 hours later. o_O

P.S. Bionicle is one of the greatest things to happen in the 2000s, hands down. It's a shame they don't produce them anymore.

Halo Reach was absolute peak for me. So many fond memories of that campaign, forge, multiplayer, just everything. I remember going trick-or-treating back when it came out (I was a Yellow Angy Bird, if you must know) and saw that one of the people had it on their TV. I was like "That's a good game :cool:." and the 17 year old looking dude simply said: "Yep." I don't know why I remember that so well, but I definitely do.

But yeah, 3D printing has been super nice. I have a full time job, so getting to let it run while I'm at work and overnight is just awesome. Until it has an issue and I only find out 8 hours later. o_O

P.S. Bionicle is one of the greatest things to happen in the 2000s, hands down. It's a shame they don't produce them anymore.
Yeah I feel like not enough people talk about how helpful printers can be when you have a busy schedule. Spaghetti is going to happen here and there but that's part of it sometimes.

And yes, Bionicle alongside Halo are definitely at the top of things to happen in the 2000s. It's weird cause Bionicle saved Lego from going bankrupt and now Lego almost avoids talking about it when they can.

Hmmm I'd always loved dressing up since I was little, but in early highschool I think it was maybe 2013-2014? I went to a local convention for the first time, and got introduced to a whole new level of dressing up in costume! I've been cosplaying ever since.

For Halo specifically, while I haven't made my costume yet, I gave the games a try when MCC came to PC at the request of some friends, now I'm a little too invested in my spartan OC, so the cosplay is just a matter of time/money now!

Hey everyone!

I was just really curious what everyone's story was on why they started making cosplay/costumes and what led them to where they are in the hobby today. I didn't see an existing thread that covered this specific topic and I really wanted to see how similar (or different) everyone's reasons/experiences are.

Personally, I have liked to make costumes since I was about 8 or 9 where I made Ninja Turtle outfits and weapons. My material of choice was cardboard until I was about 13 and found out that there were alternatives... but I still preferred cardboard. ;)

The main reason I stepped into the halo side of things was due to some totally cool dudes that I met at Emerald City Comicon with their ODST and Spartan cosplays. I was in so much awe that I had to go home and google what it was all about (using my Nintendo DS-i internet browser), where I stumbled across using foam for making costumes. I was terrible at it and eventually gave up... Until I got a 3D printer!!! :D

And that's where I am today.

So... what are your stories?
I was just a hardcore halo player until my friend's dad, AsgardianHammer, introduced me to the stuff he makes. Since then I've always been into making awesome props and armor!

For Halo specifically, while I haven't made my costume yet, I gave the games a try when MCC came to PC at the request of some friends, now I'm a little too invested in my spartan OC, so the cosplay is just a matter of time/money now!
I'm continuously shocked how much of an impact MCC on PC actually had on bringing more people into Halo. That's super cool that you're invested in the universe enough to work on a costume! I look forward to seeing it. :D

I'm continuously shocked how much of an impact MCC on PC actually had on bringing more people into Halo. That's super cool that you're invested in the universe enough to work on a costume! I look forward to seeing it. :D
I've learned the best way to get myself to work hard to improve at something.... is to become a little bit obsessed with things. (≧∇≦)

When I was much younger, I played a lot of Halo 3, almost as much as I watched YouTube videos. Naturally, watching Halo stuff, I eventually saw that famous "master chief on a motorbike" video. From that moment on I wanted a spartan suit. I watched some videos on how to make stuff, but it wasn't until a few years later (2014-ish) when I started doing Pepakura (using downloaded files from the Armory, of course) that I eventually started pursuing it for real. Once I realized that was super tough and I lacked the resources to do it properly, and only managing to rondo one wayyyy too large of a helmet, I waited a few years.
Well, during lockdown I got back on a Halo kick when MCC came to PC, and the reach customization sparked my interest again. Now I print my armor. Yep!

When I was younger, about 11 or 12 I think. I wanted to be Optimus Prime for Halloween. I don't know why but I wanted something a bit more impressive than the cheap Walmart or Target costumes. So my dad and I (Mostly my dad) built Optimus prime out of cardboard boxes, and that sparked the hobby for me.
Later on, a Comic-Con was coming up and I wanted to be the Witch-King of Angmar. I bought a cool looking mask off of Amazon and when it arrived, I was disappointed. It was a floppy latex mask that looked ridiculous. I then decided to make the helmet out cardboard as well as most of the other parts, however I bought actual gauntlets and sabatons (knight shoes).
Back when I was getting into Halo, I decided I wanted a suit like Master Chief, but I didn't actually make a Halo suit. Or did I? I'm not entirely sure what I had In made when I made it, but it came out a green and gray space man with a weapon.
Sometime later my friend and I were into airsoft, and he was into Star Wars at the time. He knew that I was pretty decent at making things and asked If I could help build a Shore Trooper with him. I said yes, and together we made my first EVA foam cosplay. It was quite a crude suit it, I was bad at the heat shaping and everything was hot glued together which works... sometimes. We covered the whole thing in duct tape so that it would hold up against bb bullets a bit more. He wore it for a couple battles and it held up, with some damage and broken bits of course. He was actually moving to California soon after, so they packed up the suit in a moving pod. Sadly the pod went missing, and my first foam suit was gone.
After that suit I decided to make my own foam cosplay. Around that time the first season of the Mandalorian had come out, and being a teenager who had already built some decently cool stuff, I jumped at the chance. I learned even more making that suit, however I used rivets to strap the ENTIRE thing, but other than that it came out pretty well.
After Mando was my most recent cosplay. I still haven't made a full suit since. (I should get on that) Anyway some of you may have seen my Master Chief suit. I won't go into much detail because there's already a thread on this site. I started that suit when I was 15 and finished it soon after I turned 16. There were weeks when I'd hit it hard and weeks when I'd take it slow. Embarrassingly, there was a whole month of not working on the suit. I loved building that suit. I got to learn a lot from it.
That's my story, I hope yall find it interesting.

I was introduced to cosplay/costuming back in 2010 by a guy who had some simple Mandalorian armor made from PVC.

He introduced me to several forums (notably the 501st) and I explored around until I finally landed on the 405th in November 2011. At that point, I had started a couple of pieces of my MK I version of my halo armor but didn't really have much expectation of myself at the time. my first suit was 100% pure Pepakura and fiberglass. I didn't know enough at the time to be properly using fiberglass mesh to improve durability and so over time most of the original parts have slowly broken and chipped themselves apart. but it is all learning to me.

A year later I had a complete (if poorly sized and strapped) Mjolnir MK VI to wear to the Halo 4 midnight release at my local GameStop. I had a blast taking pictures with people and talking Halo.

From there I went to a convention where I heard my very first critiques (if brutally honest) of problems with my armor. I got back to the grindstone for a couple of years and ended up with a solid MK II version of my armor that fit tighter to my frame, allowed dynamic movement, and had some more "fun" effects in the lighting department. I went to a couple of conventions and attended the MCC midnight release and again had fun taking pictures and talking Halo. I also at this point started working with EVA foam (though still using Pep templates) to assemble more durable parts that can take some punishment without punishing me in the process.

From there everything is just kinda history. I rework parts as they fail (or no longer fit) and improve upon the last piece. I would consider my style at this point to be fully EVA (aside from helmets which are still Pepakura or eventually 3D prints) and mostly freehand. I look forward to where my armor sits in the next couple of years with my added skill and technique.

It's a good escape for me I see some horrible things from my job I find it easier to process the bad events when I m crafting something. Comic cons are a big help too I forget alot of the bad stuff I'm able to relax and enjoy spending time with friends and family

Naturally, watching Halo stuff, I eventually saw that famous "master chief on a motorbike" video. From that moment on I wanted a spartan suit. I watched some videos on how to make stuff
That video was super cool back in the day, and still is really. :D

When I was younger, about 11 or 12 I think. I wanted to be Optimus Prime for Halloween. I don't know why but I wanted something a bit more impressive than the cheap Walmart or Target costumes. So my dad and I (Mostly my dad) built Optimus prime out of cardboard boxes, and that sparked the hobby for me.
Heck yeah! I was the same way about the store bought costumes. They were fine, but it was just way better to build it yourself.
Back when I was getting into Halo, I decided I wanted a suit like Master Chief, but I didn't actually make a Halo suit. Or did I? I'm not entirely sure what I had In made when I made it, but it came out a green and gray space man with a weapon.
Definitely had that experience. One of those things where if someone asks what you are and you tell them they're like "ohhhh, I can see that now." That's definitely how my Grunt costume turned out. Alien thing with backpack. :lol:
Around that time the first season of the Mandalorian had come out, and being a teenager who had already built some decently cool stuff, I jumped at the chance. I learned even more making that suit, however I used rivets to strap the ENTIRE thing, but other than that it came out pretty well.
The Mandalorian definitely sparked my interest for making a costume again. That'll probably be my next project after the Halo one.

A year later I had a complete (if poorly sized and strapped) Mjolnir MK VI to wear to the Halo 4 midnight release at my local GameStop. I had a blast taking pictures with people and talking Halo.
That's got to be my favorite part of the whole thing. Just taking pictures with people and talking with them about Halo. An absolute blast.
From there everything is just kinda history. I rework parts as they fail (or no longer fit) and improve upon the last piece. I would consider my style at this point to be fully EVA (aside from helmets which are still Pepakura or eventually 3D prints) and mostly freehand. I look forward to where my armor sits in the next couple of years with my added skill and technique.
That's something I definitely don't look forward to is having to repair or rework the parts, but it's part of the process and will definitely be a good learning experience for me. I'm also looking forward to see where your amor sits in the next couple of years ;)

It's a good escape for me I see some horrible things from my job I find it easier to process the bad events when I m crafting something. Comic cons are a big help too I forget alot of the bad stuff I'm able to relax and enjoy spending time with friends and family
Sounds like you have a rough job, but I'm glad that you've found something that helps you escape from it. That's how gaming is for me, just provides a consistent and predictable environment where I'm in control and don't have to be stressed about anything... until I play Halo Infinite's multiplayer... that does cause some stress. o_O

I got my start into cosplay when I was younger, growing up I watched the old Halo 2 Anniversary game clips ( I know not that old for some of us xD ), I wondered what this awesome story was and lo and behold I saw the official/branded master chief costume around Halloween a few years later. As soon as I saw it, I was enamoured, I had to have it. It was way out of my budget at the time and so I had 2 options, either get working or build one myself. After probably a month of working for family members with little progress, I decided to try building one. The first few videos I saw weren't much help until I found AndrewDFT's channel and his ODST tutorial.

I saw what could be done and I immediately got to getting the parts and buidling it. It wasn't pretty (or even very good in my opinion, but it was a fantastic learning experience and it also helped me learn of the 405th. Between then and now I tried pepakura, foam (again) and 3d printing. I've had the best results with 3d printing so I've mostly committed to that. I haven't yet been to a con (first one planned is Dublin Comic Con Spring 2024, hope to see some of you there!) but one of my friends was at the last DCC during the summer and met some 405th members there.

I've grown to trust this group and really do love the crafting hobby,
I hope the story wasn't ranting too much or boring.

Last edited:
I've always wanted 1 of 2 suits, spartan armor or clone armor. Back in the day I follow impact props with all of their stuff they were doing. So I got me 1 of my favorite helmets Gen2 Recon and kinda practiced on what to do and not to do. When I moved back home to MI, I saved up and bought a foam kit for H4 chief.... well the seller didn't give me half of the stuff so I had to just dive into the deep end and the rest is history. I still have that helmet to this day and well that armor is long gone.

I was introduced to Halo 2 in 2020, before that I was more into stuff like CoD and Arma and had never delved much into sci-fi games. I've been fascinated ever since, but got really into it when Infinite released their flights in 2021. I fell in love with the universe. I thought it would be neat to emulate it in person, so I delved into google with the intent to become a spartan and found the 405th. Super hyped to have a set of armor that I've really poured my blood, sweat, and tears into.

This thread is more than 3 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back