What sparked your interest in this hobby? I've got to know!

I'd always wanted to do a halo costume as a kid growing up playing halo 3, Reach and Halo 4, but thought it pretty much impossible. Probably 4 years ago I asked my folks if I could watch some tutorials on YouTube on how to make a suit (layer found out it wad Andrew DFT'S channel) but never got round to doing it. Then nearly 2years ago I stumbled across a video by Heroesworkshop on how to do an odst helmet, and I thought, now I have to make that. After nearly a month of research and nearly using yoga mat foam because I didn't know what eva foam was... I finally completed a haphazard helmet. (As u can tell by the pics) I wanted to make it looked super battle worn but went to far a ruined the visor. 1 year layer using Heroesworkshop's files I built my first halo suit from foam with a printed helmet. I think I did alright for a first build and now I can't wait to get back to working on my Halo infinite master chief suit.

Attachments

• 20230603_090507.jpg
    20230603_090507.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 61
  • 20230716_105754.png
    20230716_105754.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 69
  • 20230716_110446.png
    20230716_110446.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 70
I'd always wanted to do a halo costume as a kid growing up playing halo 3, Reach and Halo 4, but thought it pretty much impossible. Probably 4 years ago I asked my folks if I could watch some tutorials on YouTube on how to make a suit (layer found out it wad Andrew DFT'S channel) but never got round to doing it. Then nearly 2years ago I stumbled across a video by Heroesworkshop on how to do an odst helmet, and I thought, now I have to make that. After nearly a month of research and nearly using yoga mat foam because I didn't know what eva foam was... I finally completed a haphazard helmet. (As u can tell by the pics) I wanted to make it looked super battle worn but went to far a ruined the visor. 1 year layer using Heroesworkshop's files I built my first halo suit from foam with a printed helmet. I think I did alright for a first build and now I can't wait to get back to working on my Halo infinite master chief suit.
well sound like you learned a lot along the way. glad to see you kept going and did not give up. great job by the way on the armor

Back around 2010-2011 a buddy and my self started digging into pep files for an MK6 suit and some Halo 3 props. Never got to far with things at this point, an unfinished bicep here, a beam rifle there, but it ultimately was my starting point. Then Halo Reach dropped, and as my profile pic suggests I found MY Spartan. I had a full MK5B pep'd out but never had time to resin of finish anything. Few more years go by and I stumble back to the 405th and see some of our members incredible foam work on the suits they have done and I decide to try a foam suit myself. While I didn't get too far due to moving and less time in my days, only a little work was done. Call it determination or stubbornness but after I was gifted a 3D printer I got back to work on my 3rd suit iteration. Full suit is printed at this point but I still cant find the time to finish it. A few props out of the ever growing collection I have did manage to get finalized. These being an M6, Halo 4 carbine with a custom mag ejector and a plasma grenade. What's unfinished at the moment are 3, yes 3 plasma rifles (one carved from foam, one a random model I found and made printable and the last being the best which is a up scaled Halo Reach model I was able to complete) a DMR, my old pep beam rifle and my newest and coolest H3 fuel rod cannon. Maybe I'll move on to a new project once all this is finished. I could also just print all the other cool props out there too...
Reach was definitely a big part of my inspiration as well (as you can also see by my profile picture). I first started to print props, which was super fun... but now I have too many unfinished props lying around (mostly weapons from Breath of the Wild). Foam scared me for the longest time too, since I don't have a very good hand when it comes to carving and shaping things.

Your fuel rod cannon turned out so cool though! I don't think I'd ever be able to put the thing down if I had one! :cool:

I forgot about the yoga matt foam thing!!! I tried to make an Isaac Clarke costume from Dead Space using that stuff. It turned out... well it didn't. o_O

Your ODST outfit is absolutely prime though. Especially the artistic touch of the needler spikes!

I love this, it's very similar to me as well. I've always wanted to do cosplay, but never had the time or money for the hobby, as well as constant traveling for work. A couple years ago I was able to land a much better and more stable job (woo!), and for the first time in probably over a decade I've been able to think about hobbies again. Specifically I always wanted to make a suit of Mjolnir, be it Chief or something else, but I also knew I would struggle with eva foam builds, I just never thought of myself as good with my hands in that way. Now with 3D printers being more accessible and better quality, I was able to pick one up and finally start working towards that dream :love:

Also, I ended up here in particular after running into some 405th members at MAGFest in DC years and years ago, I bookmarked the website when they told me about it and I had always intended to come back here when I finally started work on a suit. È voila!

I think I started attempting to cosplay back in 2010ish. I was inspired to make an EOD spartan but never had the money to get very far with either pep or foam. I had an account way back then too. But it’s long gone. Kept trying to cosplay and build stuff but nothing worked out until I finished my spartan this year. It was definitely a huge step out of my usual comfort zone

I forgot about the yoga matt foam thing!!! I tried to make an Isaac Clarke costume from Dead Space using that stuff. It turned out... well it didn't. o_O

Your ODST outfit is absolutely prime though. Especially the artistic touch of the needler spikes!
You just reminded me about my yoga mat Ironman chest piece! I was not a happy camper when it turned out it awful haha

Hey everyone!

I was just really curious what everyone's story was on why they started making cosplay/costumes and what led them to where they are in the hobby today. I didn't see an existing thread that covered this specific topic and I really wanted to see how similar (or different) everyone's reasons/experiences are.

Personally, I have liked to make costumes since I was about 8 or 9 where I made Ninja Turtle outfits and weapons. My material of choice was cardboard until I was about 13 and found out that there were alternatives... but I still preferred cardboard. ;)

The main reason I stepped into the halo side of things was due to some totally cool dudes that I met at Emerald City Comicon with their ODST and Spartan cosplays. I was in so much awe that I had to go home and google what it was all about (using my Nintendo DS-i internet browser), where I stumbled across using foam for making costumes. I was terrible at it and eventually gave up... Until I got a 3D printer!!! :D

And that's where I am today.

So... what are your stories?
My elite cosplay I’m working on is probably my first big project but I’ve made a couple props/masks for Halloween in the past as a kid and I really enjoyed it. After discovering some of the amazing things you can make with Eva foam I did a ton of research and started on my elite:) it’s been a huge learning process but it’s so rewarding watching it come together!

Hey everyone!

I was just really curious what everyone's story was on why they started making cosplay/costumes and what led them to where they are in the hobby today. I didn't see an existing thread that covered this specific topic and I really wanted to see how similar (or different) everyone's reasons/experiences are.

Personally, I have liked to make costumes since I was about 8 or 9 where I made Ninja Turtle outfits and weapons. My material of choice was cardboard until I was about 13 and found out that there were alternatives... but I still preferred cardboard. ;)

The main reason I stepped into the halo side of things was due to some totally cool dudes that I met at Emerald City Comicon with their ODST and Spartan cosplays. I was in so much awe that I had to go home and google what it was all about (using my Nintendo DS-i internet browser), where I stumbled across using foam for making costumes. I was terrible at it and eventually gave up... Until I got a 3D printer!!! :D

And that's where I am today.

So... what are your stories
Seeing custom made Star Wars and Halo cosplays was always one of the coolest things to me, so I've always wanted to do it. Originally, it started thanks to my cousin who's a member of the 501st and Rebel Legion Star Wars groups. I was buying stuff to make just a simple Imperial Staff Officer from A New Hope so I could join the 501st.

One day though, was going through Instagram and stumbled on MooreShots' page. Dude had the coolest ODST armor I've ever seen. After seeing that, I knew I needed to do something like that. So I went and saved up for a 3D printer, and here I am!

Haven't quite started on the armor yet though... still working on the weapon props :)

I got into making armor about a year after getting my first printer. I was playing halo 3 and then had the idea to make the helmet. I found these models by this guy named Moe online which lead me to the 405th. After making the helmet I was like "Oh. That's not too bad. What if I did the whole thing?" Now 3 years later I just finished my second suit and I'm gearing up to start my third. For some reason building this stuff is like crack and once you start, you really can't stop.

I got into making armor about a year after getting my first printer. I was playing halo 3 and then had the idea to make the helmet. I found these models by this guy named Moe online which lead me to the 405th. After making the helmet I was like "Oh. That's not too bad. What if I did the whole thing?" Now 3 years later I just finished my second suit and I'm gearing up to start my third. For some reason building this stuff is like crack and once you start, you really can't stop.
thats no lie its like crack for sure.

I was 9 years old playing Halo Reach with my brother and was like "wow, wouldn't that be cool if I had armor like that?" I never got around to it, but then my interest was sparked when the Master Chief Collection was released on PC and I also discovered WhereIsDanielle's Reach build. My love for art and costumes drove me to try EVA foam, and somehow I was actually somewhat decent at it. Over a decade later and I finally have some sort of armor, no Spartan yet, but she's been in the works sense 2021 and I recently picked the project back up. Bring it on 2024, let's get those costumes done 405th!

Last edited:
My elite cosplay I’m working on is probably my first big project but I’ve made a couple props/masks for Halloween in the past as a kid and I really enjoyed it. After discovering some of the amazing things you can make with Eva foam I did a ton of research and started on my elite:) it’s been a huge learning process but it’s so rewarding watching it come together!
Your Elite looks awesome so far!! I don't know if I'll ever be brave enough to do something that requires that much sculpting. :lol:

It all started with an ODST at NYCC 2010...
Young me just couldn't stop thinking about how cool the Halo guy was, especially after owning my first console, the Halo Reach Xbox (previously played H2 & 3 at friends houses).
Freshman year in college finally made me realize I can build it myself. Fast forward 5 years and here I still am.

Seeing custom made Star Wars and Halo cosplays was always one of the coolest things to me, so I've always wanted to do it. Originally, it started thanks to my cousin who's a member of the 501st and Rebel Legion Star Wars groups. I was buying stuff to make just a simple Imperial Staff Officer from A New Hope so I could join the 501st.

One day though, was going through Instagram and stumbled on MooreShots' page. Dude had the coolest ODST armor I've ever seen. After seeing that, I knew I needed to do something like that. So I went and saved up for a 3D printer, and here I am!

Haven't quite started on the armor yet though... still working on the weapon props :)
The 501st has a ton of cool cosplays in it. I thought about doing a Mandalorian armor set, but Halo just sounded so much cooler... definitely more involved though. o_O

I keep thinking about doing an ODST outfit... that's probably what I'll make after my spartan is done.

The 501st has a ton of cool cosplays in it. I thought about doing a Mandalorian armor set, but Halo just sounded so much cooler... definitely more involved though. o_O

I keep thinking about doing an ODST outfit... that's probably what I'll make after my spartan is done.
One of these days I do want to go back and finish my Staff Officer, and put together a clone/storm trooper, or a Mandalorian for the Mandalorian Mercs. The only downside to the 501st compared to the Mandalorian Mercs and here with the 405th is that although there's a massive library of approved costumes, there isn't much in the sense of customizability.

So the day was December 28th, 2019. I was visiting a relatives house who had just recently purchased a 3D printer. I had no idea that 3D printing was possible until that day, so when I found out how inexpensive these machines were (at least compared to what I was expecting) I knew I had to get one. I played around with my new CR-10 for a while, and eventually decided to print a Master Chief helmet. (I only knew of this helmet through Red Vs Blue, which I knew of from a friend who watched it.) This got me thinking, "I wonder what the actual game is like".

Up to this point the only video game I had ever played was Minecraft java edition. I did not own an Xbox so I ended up playing the halo CE campaign on the old gearbox PC port. This game blew me away. I didn't even care that the graphics were older than me (this was March of 2020 and I was 16 at that time) this game instantly became my favourite. I played halo 2 on PC as well. This was April of 2020, so most of the Master Chief Collection wasn't on PC. I did manage to get the halo 3 campaign running on PC with an emulator, but my potato of a computer could only run it at like 15 fps, so I knew I would have to find an Xbox.

Eventually I played through halo CE, 2, 3, ODST, 4, and reach (in that order) by using a borrowed Xbox, and buying used games off of Kijiji. As this happened I found videos on YouTube by Impact Props and Blake Hull who had made their own Master Chief Suit. These people inspired me and made me see that it was possible to make something as cool as this. Naturally, those videos led me here to the 405th. As you can imagine, the rest is history.

Mine was a long time in the making. When I was 14-15 somewhere in that time I got an xbox 360 with halo 3. I remembered being obsessed with the game even before I had it because a cousin of mine did. Well once I got that game my twin and I were hooked, played it to death before having xbox live. and once we got that it was even worse lol.
I always loved the ODSTs, they were putting it all on the line with no significant enhancements and I am a sucker for an underdog story. I remember as a kid I would imagine what it would be like to actually be an ODST and when halo 3 odst came out I was ecstatic.
The cosplay idea came to mind in college, I went to a halloween fest and saw all these people in costume and it made me think about something i'd like to wear and nothing really stuck out in my mind nearly as much as ODST.

I found andrewDFT and watched his videos and subsequently found the 405th.com when looking for templates.
But i was in college and didn't have any funds to put towards it so I lurked the forums for about 2 years and our apartment after that had no space for a craft zone.
As soon as we moved into our house I realized I finally had no excuse not to build the armor i've wanted for so long on. I ended up using the armory files and as much as i regret doing pepakura for the helmet, it really taught me some patience and to trust the process. Though foam was definitely my strong suit. After starting the odst and getting help from everyone and reading a massive amount of build threads I realized I could do it and was very happy I started in the first place.

As someone who had no art inclination to the age of 22 I was able to do a lot more then I thought and always try to tell people the same if they ever say it's something that they could never do.

This thread is more than 3 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back