When I'm not building Iron Man, I build my space observatory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is looking stunning. I love the lounge downstairs, looks nice and cozy in contrast to all the black up stairs.

That is looking stunning. I love the lounge downstairs, looks nice and cozy in contrast to all the black up stairs.

Ya mate!

TV is mounted now.

aMSVQVh.jpg

As someone who does construction and labor for a living (aside from music and armor builds as a pastime), this is absolutely stunning brother!!! i can imagine the painstaking lengths to get everything done correctly and structurally sound. The staircase is beautiful, and I like how you made the stairs into the wall with trim. And using thick branches for spindles, railing, and supports? And the table,... Jesus, I can't and won't say it enough man, this is something you can most DEFINITELY be proud of.

As someone who does construction and labor for a living (aside from music and armor builds as a pastime), this is absolutely stunning brother!!! i can imagine the painstaking lengths to get everything done correctly and structurally sound. The staircase is beautiful, and I like how you made the stairs into the wall with trim. And using thick branches for spindles, railing, and supports? And the table,... Jesus, I can't and won't say it enough man, this is something you can most DEFINITELY be proud of.

God bless ya champ! I don't have any building qualifications, but I have plenty of experience spread across 25 years of all kinds of stuff! All that, "stuff" comes in useful when it finally culminates in a focused project. Knowing lots of VERY good people with the right qualifications has been fantastic and pivotal to getting the job done right.

Oh I hear ya. I always say I'm a "Jack of all Trades, Master of None" haha. Hopefully I'll at least master this armor stuff. With time, I'm sure I'll get it figured out.

And here I thought that was just going to be empty space... You sir have revolutionized the definition and functional limits of what an observatory can be. It's like pimp my ride for recreational dwellings/structures. Just wow....

OK boys and girls,

it's time to let you in on the big news! Yes, for the last few weeks ASIGN Observatory II has been gearing up to get ready for the TV crew from Australia's very own Better Homes and Gardens!

Miracle after miracle has been pouring in from friends, family, work mates and even total strangers from the internet giving their time, some generous donations and unfailing support. Not only that, but the timing of all of these things has been absolutley perfect as if by divine design - right down to the TV being donated the day after the electricity was all connected.

The crew arrived this afternoon and straight away, my nerves about meeting celebrities were put at ease as these very professional individuals were so down to earth. Russell and the film and sound guys were brilliant to work with and my eyes were opened at some of their film tricks and equipment. More on that when you see the show.

Johanna Griggs was as friendly, happy and graceful as you could imagine. I felt very at-ease with her questions in the on-camera interviews. The make-up lady was as much a part of the team, engaging as the rest while she powdered my shiny nose under the lights.

My darling wife worked like a trooper, baking biscuits for the team. They absolutely loved them.

Being a man left to his own devices without the quidance of his good wife, I goofed big as is my manly custom and right! There was a platter of bread on the bench which I took outside with the cakes. How was I supposed to know that there was a plate of cheese and salami in the fridge to go with it? You know... being a man and all.....

Anyways, watch out for the show on the 11th of October at 7pm on channel Seven. I'll post up links once they have it on their website after the show.

Thanks again to all who have made this possible. You know who you are.

Cheers and blessings!!!

Baz.

i would like to see the show :) are you planning to stream this or upload the show on youtube?

There should be a teaser at the end of Better Homes and Gardens this coming Friday.

You're gonna love it! Johanna Griggs stood in front of my Iron-Man suit to present the show.

Baz.

Success! Now that construction of ASIGN Observatory II is finished, I got a full night of imaging in last night. Good seeing, late moon and nice and cold.

This is a combined stack of 21 exposures of five minutes each exposure. Trying to make sense of the software was challenging, but the end result was worth the hours of processing. The object is M42, the Great Orion Nebula.

MXu3lay.jpg

Three hundred and twenty minutes of photon capture to produce this image of the Horse head and Flame nebulae.

At 1500 Light years away, the dark Horse head shape is made of thick cloud of dust, silhouetted against the bright emissions of the hydrogen gas behind it.

09kmNnW.jpg

Sometimes the upload algorithms turn this image an over saturated magenta. It should be a lighter pink. If you are having this problem, the image is also on my website so you can see it as it should be here.

Dat universe! Ain't she pretty!
Super jealous of your work.

Nice to see more Aussies getting in on the astronomy gig too :D

I'm now well into the swing of using it regularly for astrophotography and have already had two groups through.

Up on the observation deck at ASIGN Observatory II, processing the data collected through the telescope over the past few nights.

EHZHxRM.jpg

Downstairs, putting the finishing touches on the astrophotograph from the previous night.

BPSBNcu.jpg

Just saw this thread now, and read through the whole thing. My mind is blown. Firstly from all the space jumbo (I don't mean that offensively in any way, its quite fascinating), and secondly, from the beautiful work you've done. I had goosebumps, seriously, as I read through this thread, thinking "why is it 10 pages long, it looks done already." and you kept adding to it, making it more and more amazing with every new post. The stairs made from the Eucalyptus (hope I spelt that right) made my pick my jaw off the floor over and over. And don't get me started on those pictures you took.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is, amazing work, and I hope this project brings you much more joy and good memories. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back