FFA series number 18 : Optimized for Print Doom Preator helmet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaween

Hi guys.

Overview so far :

FFA series number 1 : Halo Reach type SMG M7
FFA series number 2 - Halo Wars/MKIV helmet
FFA series number 3 - MA37
FFA series number 4 - MA5D Modular design, Coalminer series.
FFA series number 5 - M20 Coalminer series.
FFA series number 6 - Halo DMR.
FFA series number 7- BR85HB SR - Coalminer series.
FFA series number 8 : Remixed DC17 Clone Wars Blaster
FFA series number 9-(coalminer series)- Halo Reach MFDD
FFA series number 10 : M45 Shotgun
FFA series number 11: Scattershot -coalminer series
FFA series number 12: Railgun-Coalminer Series-Ultra Detail Edition
FFA series number 13 : Medkit - Coalminer Series
FFA series number 14: M73 LMG
FFA series number 15 : Modular M6H gun + variations
FFA series number 16 : M739 Light Machine Gun AKA "SAW"
FFA series number 17 : Grenades, Repurposed ones revisited.

Doom.
Halo's Granddad.
The single game all FPS, bar Wolfenstein, pays tribute to.
Featuring the man who really went to hell and back.

As an old-time gamer, the name has something magical to me. It was the first game I ever played in Co-Op mode, running -for that time- state of the art Intel 386 machines, connected over a Novell network. Some memories never fade. Playing Doom is one of them.

So yeah, when Doom2016 came out, sure I had to play it, and sure enough after the pretty dreadful experience which was Doom3, Doom2016 was a worthy reboot of the game, using in-your-face-over-the-top graphics, gore galore, reviving the frantic "one man against the opened portals of hell" gameplay we love so much.

So the idea of one day putting on the fabled Preator helmet, the iconic piece of hardware retreived from the dark pits of hell itself, worn by the sacred knights defending all that lives against the hordes of supreme evil ? These knights that were even feared and respected by their undead adverseries ? Had to happen.

Some time ago, several attempt were made to create printable 3D helmets of said piece. Some of them look excellent and can be bought as commercial casts since a short while, others contended themselves printing out the straight game-ripped helmet which looks .... well ..... like "Doom Minecraft Edition" really. I salute the brave people who printed this out and created good looking props using this as print -like for example Bert from PixelArmoury who did an outstanding job crafting a seriously good looking helmet from this raw, like really raw model. And a special mention to the guys over at Johnson Arms who're selling this cast helmet, based on the works of Dutch Props' excellent modeller Jeffery Tabben. Honestly, I salute you all.

However, I'm lazy. I'm not willing to sand/bond a printed part like crazy when I could have prevented hours, days of doing so by cleaning up the model prior to printing it. I also suspect most people would prefer their prints to look as clean as possible when they come off the printbed. It's pure logic, really.
I'm also quite POOR, so shelving out 500USD for a helmet ...... nope. Can't do that. And when I noticed how an equally less-than-rich 405th'er had made a really nice Preator armour out of, well, spit and ducttape, but was wrestling creating a helmet, I just had to step in and do the right thing.

So armed with no experience and held back by any kind of knowledge, I puzzled for a week or so on this thingy.

The results :

Here's the main evolution steps from "original model", basically the raw ripped model which is being used on sites like Thingiverse ect ect .... gradually stepping to "first cleanup", "added basic missing stuff" to "ready with all known elements I could find". The "screw holes" can be filled up with real screws, or the printed screw head tops I'll add tomorrow.

Front view compare :

front compare.jpg

Back view compare :

back compare.jpg

Top view compare :
top compare.jpg

Side view compare :
side compare.jpg

done.jpg

The helmet is not cut : again, I think you're better of doing that yourself. See the "slicing is not hard" thread I posted in the Halo 3D Model part of the forum if you don't believe it. :) -scaling too by the way is a breeze-.

I'll undoubtably return to this thread in the future : several additions and improvements can still be done but for now, I can honestly say so far I've not seen a free model available which gives you this kind quality and details : no it's not 100% game correct. The lack of the same kind of lavish documentation available to Halo cosplayers doesn't really make life easier.

As for illumination points : the Preator lights up with red leds, specifically at the two small indents above the forehead, and there's a red glow emmitting from the cheek "exhausts". So it's REALLY easy to do.

I'll be printing this helmet soon myself for a good friend and co-405th'er who will be very pleased with it, I'm sure. Expect some pictures of that too.

Also, I'll be adding some cleaned up weaponary the this build as part of the FFA program, and ..... a full suit is already in early preparation but won't be something for right immideatly.

Doom helmet, visor can be had here :

doom helmet.zip

A big thank you goes out to the nice people responsible for making the base model available, and an equally big thank you to all the people who inspired me to try and produce something better for the community.

As always, have fun, use as you will, and till next time.

Kaween out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back