Hell Jumper Foam Armor (Spartan Buck)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, just wow, fantastic looking! Any suggestions on the best way to make my own dummy torso for test fitting? That would make things vastly easier! Oh and I finished the files last night for the cod piece and ab plate, as well as ab details. Here is the link to my mediafire archive with all of the files.

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/63xdril2oifg6/Halo_5_Helljumper

The file is in the MQO folder. Torso undersuit abs and codpiece. They may not be exactly to scale, but should be close enough. I was able to build in at least a basic outline of the center details to the ab plate as well. Not having done it myself, It might make work best if done with the thinner craft foam since it is part of the undersuit, but you will now WAY BETTER than I would!

Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

So I didn't get as much as I would've like to get done this weekend, hit some minor distractions like building some new MG endless Waltz Gundam Models :D! Just found out there is a Planet Gundam Store a town over from me and well... my wallet is now being held hostage by my necessity to buy everything in site at that store! But I do have some Updates so not to worry, and thanks to Gralt and his lovely thanksgiving gift I started on the abs and cod piece, which provided much needed downtime with this project, thanks again Gralt.
photo 1.JPGphoto 2.JPGphoto 4.JPG

Tried to assemble everything together in one night and add some of the minor details, there is a still a lot more to work on, but I just wanted to get the shell done.
photo 3.JPGphoto 2 (2).JPG

Tested it in place with some painters tape and took shots from different angles, personally I'm okay with placement of everything. It will be held down better when I add some extra nylon strapping and Velcro, but let me know what you guys think? Not sure if its the right size or placed correctly, obviously there is a lot of details that still need to be added but wanted to get anyone's advice on this I may need to resize if need be.

photo 4 (1).JPGphoto 3 (1).JPGphoto 2 (1).JPG

Personally I'm thinking the Cod could hang a bit lower and that's an easy fix, also wanted to work on some of the details on the cod. Went to home depot bought a fuel line and cut it in half, It worked great and I plan on using it on the rest of the suit it looks like it goes all over the under suit and covers that one part on the cod but worked perfect for the details I had in mind.

photo 5.JPGphoto 1 (1).JPGphoto 1 (2).JPGphoto 5 (1).JPGphoto 3 (2).JPG

Like a said a work in progress, still need to buy that quick release sling clip and make more details mostly hinges that are on the folds in the front and abs, Once I get that don't I will start on the shoulders and then do some test sealing and painting.... If the weather allows it :facepalm still need to catch my breath because I need to start working my wife's Spartan Kat been kinda on hold with it and left her to finish up certain parts but I still need to get my ass into working gear on that project need to have it ready by February so wish me luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow that looks great! And so bloody fast! Then again my build is slow going as it is my first and I'm working with the smaller pieces on the arms, but that looks awesome! Far beyond what I conceptualized!

So I've been having difficulties trying to get myself into this build for the past week, I must apologize gents but with Destiny and the new DLC Taken King I've immersed myself in a game I thought I would be able to complete quickly but find it is not so easy lol. Anyways I'm at my office right now and have found that I have some spare time today with everyone else in meetings, so I'm going to take a swing at drawing out some overlapping templates using Gralt new models and see how far I get with the arms and shoulders tonight. Now I know I have unfinished business with that damn abdominal piece but hell have I procrastinated I will finish it TONIGHT!!! I did manage to finally finish off some of the last details on the Chest. Made the little hinges that sit right on the sides made them out of wood and EVA 2mm.
photo 1.JPGphoto 2.JPG

Hope you enjoy that little tease for now, and I promise to have the upper body completely assembled by Christmas ;).

As a fellow Destiny fan I understand how it can consume your free time, it's certainly not something that can be played and finished in a week, especially if you just recently started playing. I look forward to seeing tonight's progress! keep up the awesome work!

As a fellow Destiny fan I understand how it can consume your free time, it's certainly not something that can be played and finished in a week, especially if you just recently started playing. I look forward to seeing tonight's progress! keep up the awesome work!

Thanks bro, I might hit you up on xbox soon so you can help me breeze thru quicker and get back to building. this game has my head spinning :wacko:sick

So after about 3 hours of Destiny I was urged to return to work, Anyways I was finally able to finish off those hinges that go from the chest to the abs to the cod. Was able to put more details on which the pieces seem to keep getting smaller and smaller and more tedious. I think once the torso is complete I will be done with the hard part.

photo 1 (1).JPGphoto 2 (1).JPGphoto 3 (1).JPG

I also managed to assemble everything together at around 1am last night with nylon straps, contact cement and hot glue.
photo 3 (2).JPGphoto 4 (1).JPG

I Did a quick test fit and it seems to fit just shy of okay, It doesn't sink as low as I would like it too but I might be able to fix that later on. You guys let me know what you think. the width and shoudlers fit perfectly and the back lines up nicely so there is some good news...
photo 1 (2).JPGphoto 2 (2).JPG

First of all it looks amazing so far, and while Ido agree that it doesn't sink as low as it should I think you should hold on making any changes until you've made the thigh pieces and the two "belt" pieces that go on the hips. Depending on how it looks when you put on those pieces I think you might be ok.

First of all it looks amazing so far, and while Ido agree that it doesn't sink as low as it should I think you should hold on making any changes until you've made the thigh pieces and the two "belt" pieces that go on the hips. Depending on how it looks when you put on those pieces I think you might be ok.

My thoughts exactly, I was cursing at it for awhile and then I told myself the same thing you did and it calmed me down a little haha. But yeah after I finish the shoulders and arms I guess the next step will be the thighs and belt pieces. Hopefully it work out, if not I guess I have a new decoration for my workshop...

Also my Boss called out today which gave me some free time to work on my stuff tehe... Anyways tried another one of @Gralts files did one of the shoulders which came out rather nice, sorry for all the scribble on the foam it was some toss away templates that didn't work out. Also yes the symmetry is a little off because I didn't make a certain cut in the foam, that's okay because I will be layering it with craft foam that will give a nice dimension to it later tonight.

photo 1 (1).JPGphoto 2 (1).JPGphoto 3.JPG

Glad to see the template files are useful! Looks killer! Man I wish I could figure out how you get such clean cuts on your foam. I could never quite get pieces to fit right and ended up doing a lot of trimming with a dremmel...messy business lol.

Well after a busy weekend I was finally able to sit down and get some work done. First off I wanted to get the base done for the forearm, and after 3 tries because of sizing complication I was finally able to produce one that fits... By the way I have to give a huge thanks to Gralt yet again, he's been working very closely with me on this stuff and has been very helpful in so many ways! So if you guys use his files make sure to give him some 405th love. Anyways still need to make the other arm and shoulder, and need to layer details on the forearm, like I said before I'm hoping to have this stuff done by Christmas so keep your eyes peeled.
photo 3.JPGphoto 4.JPGphoto 5.JPGphoto 1 (1).JPG

Drew up the layered templates for the shoulder still need more details, I'm really starting to hate the repetitiveness of making those hinges lol.

photo 1.JPGphoto 2.JPGphoto 2 (1).JPGphoto 3 (1).JPGphoto 4 (1).JPG

That's it for now also found this diving suit for $53 on Ebay its 3mm thick so I figured it would be a good base for the under suit and then layer on craft foam where need be, let me know what you guys think.
m6YmFsbrY3RVMpN2_PrLaIQ.jpg

Man that is looking killer, and so freaking fast! #jealous! lol.

One thing I might suggest is not looking at a diving wetsuit for this purpose. I say that because I dive and have 3 and 6mm suits, and the primary goal of a wetsuit is to help your body retain heat. So unless you get wet, that suit will get INCREDIBLY hot in a very short time. Even more so when you don your armor (aka more insulation from the foam). I've seen some divers put on their wetsuits too soon before getting in the water, and pass out while putting on their equipment. Rare but happens.

Just a recommendation! :D

Man that is looking killer, and so freaking fast! #jealous! lol.

One thing I might suggest is not looking at a diving wetsuit for this purpose. I say that because I dive and have 3 and 6mm suits, and the primary goal of a wetsuit is to help your body retain heat. So unless you get wet, that suit will get INCREDIBLY hot in a very short time. Even more so when you don your armor (aka more insulation from the foam). I've seen some divers put on their wetsuits too soon before getting in the water, and pass out while putting on their equipment. Rare but happens.

Just a recommendation! :D

Thanks Bro! And yeah I was thinking if I was going to do this strictly in the winter time so I don't die in the suit or just drink lots of water... Definitely not going to rock this armor in the hot summer time if I use that one. My options for the undersuit are running thin so I might be stuck with the 3mm unless I can find something more suitable any suggestion as an alternative to that suit I'll take lol

They do have 1mm wetsuits that would make it tolerable for more weather conditions. Link There are others out there as well but this was just a cursory search. I didn't think about anything thinner until now, so a 1mm wetsuit just might be the ticket!

They do have 1mm wetsuits that would make it tolerable for more weather conditions. Link There are others out there as well but this was just a cursory search. I didn't think about anything thinner until now, so a 1mm wetsuit just might be the ticket!

As long as 2mm craft foam can bond to it with some time of adhesive I think 1mm should work, Thanks once again gralt ;):thumbsup!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back