1st Build 3D Printed ODST - First Build [Complete Breakdown, Ongoing]

twolegg

Hi everyone,

I joined the forum a couple of weeks ago and have been quite busy, but this morning, I took some time to do some clerical work and organization, and now I finally feel ready to make my first build post. Hopefully, this post is formatted okay and meets guidelines, I'm not a big forum guy and I've maybe posted on reddit once.

(TLDR: I bought a printer and am making ODST Armor yippee links and photos at the end of this post.)

At the end of August, when I started my fall semester, I enrolled in a 3D printing class because I've always wanted to try it. It turns out I loved it so much I went out and used some savings and textbook money to buy a K1 Max. From there I printed some small stuff and school assignments but of course, my white whale was always armor of some sort. Ever since I was a kid I always wanted to dress up as a stormtrooper, scout trooper, clone, spartan, anything.

I spent plenty of my free time researching but it seemed like such a dauntless task and a huge investment, but eventually after lurking on this forum for a while I decided to pull the trigger. I decided to go with Galactic Armories files because they seemed popular and user-friendly, also the files were described as made for an average build 6ft guy, which I am. I definitely threw a bit of a hail Mary not caring about measurement, but thankfully it's all working out so far.

I'm neck deep in this project and almost halfway done with printing, but I'm excited to be a part of this community and am thankful for the help of so many people who have posted in the tutorials section of this forum.

Anyways, something cool I made and something I wish I could have found when I started making my armor was a big ol' document containing a bunch of data regarding a single costume, so I made that and wanted to share it. It has a print log, part and cost list, and a task list for myself.

Just a disclaimer, I am not an Excel or Google Sheets wizard, there is a reason I am working far away from that field, but I tried to make it as readable as possible.

-> Link to my ODST Breakdown <-

I'll end this first post by attaching some photos I've taken so far. If anyone has any questions or comments feel free (as long as it's not about the quality of my spreadsheets). I'll be at my desk all day working on baking and surfacing some assets for Marmoset and will check in if I get replies.

Special thanks to my wonderfully talented girlfriend, she did all the detail painting for me while I did priming, base coats, and finishing. She is the reason the armor looks as good as it does.

Attachments

• details.jpg
    details.jpg
    1,013.2 KB · Views: 13
  • helmetraw.jpg
    helmetraw.jpg
    714.8 KB · Views: 6
  • paintingfilling.jpg
    paintingfilling.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 7
  • printer.jpg
    printer.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 7
  • stripe.jpg
    stripe.jpg
    572 KB · Views: 12
  • undersuit.jpg
    undersuit.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 11
  • workspace.jpg
    workspace.jpg
    977.8 KB · Views: 14
  • helmetcheston.jpg
    helmetcheston.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 12
Nice work looks great!! I like the document you made, I did the same when I built my ODST armor. It definitely helps when you decide to build more. Look forward to seeing your kit when it is finished.

Nice work looks great!! I like the document you made, I did the same when I built my ODST armor. It definitely helps when you decide to build more. Look forward to seeing your kit when it is finished.
Thank ya so much! Yeah, the document helps me keep my head on straight, I usually just jot down notes on paper or in a text document but I've been becoming more open to Excel lately. My accounting friends are trying to spread the gospel lmao.

I'll be posting more updates as soon as I can get more paint down!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back