Soft Parts Halo 4 & 5 Spartan Undersuit Parts

Status
Not open for further replies.
i cant remember who or where i got it from but i have an obj undersuit file if you want it i can email it to you ?

Looking great guys. I have two idea for the remainder of the undersuit (the Hexed pieces). they both involve a 3d model of those parst ( w/o hex pattern ). once they are modeled in 3d, separate the individual sections [ chest - upper back, stomache - lower back, upper arms / shoulders, lower arms / fore arms, cod, Thighs, calfs. etc. ( do this so that you can size each individual section in pepakura)
flip the normals in the 3d modeling program OR wait and flip the faces in Pepakura.

for a molded looking suit (foam, silicone, latex):
- cut and Pep or 3d print inverted parts
- put together the parts to creat your "inverted mold." of each separated body section.
- spray the insides with heavy duty adhesive
- line the "inverted mold" with loose mesh netting ( purchase at your local fabric store. I get mine from Jo-ann fabrics)
- seal inverted molds with acrylic sealer spray {let is dry}
- spread your medium (latex, silicon, foam) inside of the mold. be sure to get it into all the nooks of the netting ((let that cure))
- " you get the rest"

For a Fabric suit.
- purchase aluminum Mesh [like the one you have pictured on first page], purchase the fabric, and Puffy / 3D fabric paint. i go to Jo-Ann fabric for both.
- create fabric patterns, either in 3d program or using pepakura (there's a Tut out there make sure there is flange)
- trace patterns onto the fabric ( but do not cut them yet)
- flip the fabric over, place the aluminum mesh on top and roll / spray ( brushing takes forever)
- remove the mesh and repeat until fabric is covered. (let the paint puff up and dry)
- cut out the paterns, pieces together, and stitch

the coolest thing about this method. "IT'S DOWNLOADABLE"
i have tested thes techniques on small models but never had a proper 3d model to build an entire suit. plus i had my worries about replicating the nonhex portions of the suit. But you have that solution. if any one can point me to a 3d model of the undersuit, i would love to make a tut about peicing this together. thanks

I hate to ask, but do you have a link to the amazon page for the hex sheet metal you used? I have done countless searches and all I come up with is cheap car grill replacement material. I'm looking for something more substantial, like what you have. Thanks.

I literally have 4 Fallout kits in various stages(10mm, alien blaster, kremvh's tooth, minigun), but I've put some more time into undersuit parts lately.

HIPS has to be glued together with epoxy, which along with part warping means seams.
24495878413_6112220c74_z.jpg24495877983_65f46d3b65_z.jpg

24827077140_ed58dbcde2_z.jpg

25096391476_ac1a50d6de_z.jpg

25004507072_c90fd87d3f_z.jpg

Spine is seamed together too, one more putty and primer pass should do it.
25122711535_a056146a6e_z.jpg

No pictures, but the neck bit is good to go as well.

I got a quote from a screenprinting place around the corner from the shop I work at - large puffy paint-screenprinted hex grids on spandex can be done and is affordable. I think, layered with open-cell foam, it could be a viable undersuit base material. We'll see how the samples turn out.

Again, super excited about all the progress on this!

looks outstanding! Just have a question about the HIPS. Does it friction weld well using a dremel or other rotary tool? because that fills in seams very nicely, and can be sanding down relatively painlessly. Could also save you some cash on the putty if the gaps need a lot of passes.

I know your still doing estimates of prices. Are you considering individual part pricing also? I would be interested in the whole back/spine area.

Not sure if this helps, but I actually sewed neodymium magnets into my undersuit so that my smaller undersuit pieces attatch/detatch easily and appear to "float." This makes it easy to wash, but I've never put it in a machine because of all the snaps and magnets. I usually hand wash mine in my sink.

Sorry for the delay. I have been without a computer since they (both) decide to crash within a week of each other. But I have a new one now and as soon as my 16GB Ram upgrade and my new SSD upgrade get here I am going to pump out a soft suit using my method. Thefabricator if you still have the 3d file I would like to take a look at it and start getting it ready to go. I will send a message so that we can start a conversation about making the first downloadable soft suit technique happen.

i cant remember who or where i got it from but i have an obj undersuit file if you want it i can email it to you ?

I just wanted to let you all know that I am still working on the "downloadable Udersuit". Although most of the work that i have done is R&D and beginning to write the tutorials, I wanted to post some pics in this thread. I am still working on a 3D model/ Pep file (slowly). I am still asking if anyone would like to model the undersuit? if so let me know as this could move the downloadable undersuit closer to reality, because a 3d model is the only thing that is missing.
ok R&D updates:
two diferent test cards - the blue is made for superior flex and stretch , while the silver is made for medium flex and stiffer applications (liike boots or the "hard pieces" on undersuit)
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8252/8476162237_cdb375439b.jpg

this is demonstration of the blue flexing freely after droping it on the table. also the blue is a costom color I mixed a pearl into it. can you tell?
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8247/8477252002_942bd6b996.jpg

I wanted to make something that I could wear. i grabbed an old guantlet pep file and gave it a try.
also notice the two different colors. the guantlet is black but i wanted to show that you can paint it. i used a little silver (sorry about blotches, i ran out of silver)
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8232/8476163079_ed91053660.jpg

So i kind of poked a few holes in the gauntlet when i was removing it from the pep model. Self note: "Dont Use anything sharp to remove it from the model".
but it still holds together even when i flex my arm.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8530/8477252728_578bdb052b.jpg

So to recap: I can do the hex patterns (or any pattern), It has some stretch, I can add colors to it (any color - including but not shown - Metalics, Glitter flakes, Neon florescent and glow in the dark colors.) most importantly I can use a downloadable pep file as the base to make the the suit in three different ways. *Unfolding and glueing pep together does differ from traditional methods*

Hello Pappa Midnight! Thank you for all of the information. However, can I suggest that it would be better to start your own thread with all of this rather than combining it with Vrogy 's thread. While we highly encourage participation in the threads of other members, the threads themselves can get quickly clogged up and sort of hard to follow if several different builds happen within one thread. I'd hate to see yours or anyone else's get lost in the shuffle or make Vrogy's build confusing to anyone coming in later. Thanks so much!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I just decided to a spartan with an accurate undersuit, which for the most part will be foam musculature on top and underneath Morph suits! Have to say I'd be interested in getting all 3D modelled parts as well! :D

you inspire me to get a 3d printer. your work looks great. a cheap way to go now that you have your solid original pieces would be to start vacuforming, if you did that I would purchase from you.

Any word on whether or not you'll add these 3D files to the archive? These parts are all Im missing to complete my collection to being fabrication and Im sure everyone else here is dying to get their hands on such great 3D models of their undersuits! Amazing work!

Any word on whether or not you'll add these 3D files to the archive? These parts are all Im missing to complete my collection to being fabrication and Im sure everyone else here is dying to get their hands on such great 3D models of their undersuits! Amazing work!

Probably not - Vrogy's a master at the work he puts in, but he's also fully within his rights to keep those models private. However, we're working on getting some guidelines for undersuits completed by the end of the year, and hopefully we'll also have some resources that'll help you fabricate your own parts pretty easily and accurately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back