Halo Reach Mk V armor - My first foam build

Discussion in 'Halo Costumes and Armor' started by Jesse, Jul 7, 2017.

1. Jesse

Jesse New Member

Greetings fellow Spartans,

After attending many cons down in NZ and seeing an increase in Cosplayers I've finally decided to take the plunge and create my own Reach Mk V suit. After looking at heeeeeaps of the threads on here I decided to attempt a foam suit purely due to resin sounding like its a lot more work (granted that pep resin is exceptionally detailed and precise).

I created a few Vanity Reach builds and came up with this concept. I figure that any suit contains the base Mk V armor pieces so I can always change up attachments if I wanted to later.

Vanity_636337587179472390.png

Onto the build...

I figured that I should begin with the helmet...gutsy I know considering this is my first build ever. Nonetheless I reasoned if I couldn't pull it off with foam I would seriously think about investing in materials for a pep resin build.

So here we go...
    After printing the pep templates to my scale here is my work after an evening
    20170611_173744.jpg 20170611_173754.jpg

Pretty stoked with the look so far. I'm using super glue for all initial joins and will follow up with either hot glue or sealant on the inside to strengthen and reinforce all joins.

The following few evenings...

20170611_224200.jpg
    20170612_235525.jpg 20170612_235540.jpg 20170612_235550.jpg

Very happy so far with my first attempts at using EVA foam. Helmet fits my head well too thankfully! Not too keen on the HUL piece...will re do it differently later.

I have some ideas in mind on the visor so will tackle that later once I get the materials.

After all that I will now continue the Mk V build entirely out of EVA foam. Is a very good media to work with and importantly to me is very economical.

More posts to come soon peeps. Until then I'm keen to get your feedback. Happy building!

2. Jesse

Jesse New Member

Update time! So with the base construction of the helmet a relative success I have moved on to some other armor pieces. I plan to finish all basic construction and then do a full dremel/sand session on everything before sealing and smoothing any jiins that need it.

So here is my first forearm...
    20170618_131055.jpg 20170618_131102.jpg 20170618_131109.jpg

There are still a few foamie details to add but all in all very happy with the finished piece.

Also, here is a little something that I made a while ago that is going to go down quite nicely with my Armor...

20150922_184421.jpg
    20160201_122246.jpg

Nite that the hilt is based off the "military issue" according to wiki...I may make the game version at a later date though.

20160201_122306.jpg 20160201_122320.jpg 20160206_220926.jpg
    Looks really shiny here...I fixed this with some matt spray varnish by Army Painter...I do a lot of wargaming too so already had the can on hand.

Here is the refernece picture used to create my piece...I got the real world dims off wiki then scaled the jpeg image in AutoCad (civil engineer by trade so I have access to some helpful tools).
    unnamed.png
    I still have some details to add like the writing etc per the above picture.
    And finally a group picture with the other weapons I've made/started to date...
    20160403_221955.jpg 20160328_162652.jpg

That's all for now peeps. More posts to come not too far away! Happy building!

3. PaiganBoi

PaiganBoi

Your bucket and forearm look great. Your weapons are coming along nicely as well. Can't wait to see the finished suit.

Jesse and mblackwell1002 like this.
  4. Jesse

Jesse New Member

Thanks PaiganBoi (and Chiefwannabe for the likes). It's been an enjoyable challenge so far. My next post will be a biggie...working on the chest at the moment...stay tuned as I am super stoked at how it's coming along and keen to see what you all think.

mblackwell1002 likes this.
  5. Chiefwannabe

Chiefwannabe

Excitement level has reached 100!!!!!!!

Jesse and mblackwell1002 like this.
  6. mblackwell1002

mblackwell1002

OOooh. Very nice work so far! I've never used super glue on foam before, but that is turning out quite nice! Good work! Your foam work so far is some of the best I've seen!

Keep up your awesome work!

Jesse likes this.
  7. Redheadwolf

Redheadwolf New Member

That foam work is gorgeous!

Jesse likes this.
  8. Jesse

Jesse New Member

Thanks Chiefwannabe, mblackwell1002 and Redheadwolf for the encouraging feedback. Much appreciated.

So after a busy Sunday afternoon's work I assembled the torso pieces I've been working on the last few days...
    Part 1...
    20170627_000010.jpg

Then the lower chest piece... was constructed separately...
    20170628_234840.jpg

Then the back...
    20170702_163742.jpg
    20170702_163805.jpg

I love the detail in the back part of the torso...had really been looking forward to creating this piece...
    And finally, all assembled. The lower parts are connected with two black plastic buckles on the inside so I can actually get in the thing!

20170708_210348.jpg 20170708_210355.jpg 20170708_210401.jpg

So yeah...that's where it's at for now. There are still heaps of details to add to the torso as well as additional reinforcing on the inside and padding to make it even more comfy.

Let me know what you think so far. Thanks again for support and feedback - is very motivating Will update when I've added more detail

mblackwell1002 and vivalablake89 like this.
  9. Chiefwannabe

Chiefwannabe

Your foam work is so god dam clean man!! The scaling of the torso looks spot on as well, very well done!! once its all finished and painted its gonna be mind blowing!! i love how everyones doing a reach build at the moment! by the end of the year there's going to be enough of us to stop a covenant invasion!

Dirtdives and Jesse like this.
  10. Dirtdives

Dirtdives

WOW!!!! seam lines are so clean......and the indented sections are just as crisp......Unbelievable work Jesse. Detail cut lines are pin straight!!!

Jesse likes this.
  11. PaiganBoi

PaiganBoi

Agreed. Your cuts and seams are really really really really good. Please tell me you used a band saw for your cuts. If this was by knife in hand, I bow down to your skills.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
    Jesse and Dirtdives like this.
  12. Jesse

Jesse New Member

Hey everyone! Thank you all for your kind words and likes!

Chiefwannabe I can't wait to paint this badboy.

I will be ordering my plastidip spray in the near future. On that note, does anyone have any tips/warnings about plastidip? I will do a test piece before committing to the armor.

Thanks Dirtdives and PaiganBoi. I've been taking my time with the cuts and it's paid off. All cuts made by hand with regularly sharpened craft knives. I do wish I had a bandsaw! Maybe one day...

So after posting last night I continued on and added various foamie panels to add further detail.

Now, I don't mind if you laugh at these pics (my wife sure did)...the only thin craft foam I can source locally is a mixed pack of coloured A4 sheets.
    I therefore present to you all the jester of Halo Reach builds...hahaha

20170710_233943.jpg 20170710_233954.jpg 20170710_234010.jpg 20170710_234023.jpg 20170710_234058.jpg

The panels I've glued to the "arm-holes" have softened the sharp joins creating a more ergonomic look. Ther are a couple more details to add to the front panel. I will also be adding two additional small buckles to further aid with making the side joins line up just right

OBVIOUSLY, it's going to look much better once painted...have I mentioned that I can't wait to do that part? Haha

As always, thanks again for your feedback. Til next post...

13. PaiganBoi

PaiganBoi

Ha. That's what Spartan armour would look like when someone is on an acid trip. Still, looking good.

Jesse and Chiefwannabe like this.
  14. Dirtdives

Dirtdives

Or build by Walt Disney.....(Saying this while picking jaw up off the floor)......Looks even better if possible.

Jesse likes this.
  15. Jesse

Jesse New Member

Hi all...back with an update. Has been a bit of a slow build week...busy busy at work and also prepping for our 2nd baby due this September...

Anyhow, I completed my 2nd forearm and finished adding all details to my 1st one. Also added additional details to the helmet surrounding where the visor goes. Ordered a sample piece of gold window tint which I slipped into the helmet to test... visibility is ok...will still work...buuuut not amazing...looks good from the outside but will continue to look for options.

20170716_195054.jpg
    20170716_194950.jpg

Been searching the forums too and I'm going to trial Mawrtrons sealing/painting method on a scrap foam piece... I already have heaps of modpodge so if it works I can save a truckload not buying plastidip.

Thanks for looking =)

SI3RRA 117 likes this.
  16. SI3RRA 117

SI3RRA 117

Very nice everything's looking great. I mean no offense by this but would it be alright if I dub you Spartan Skittles?

Jesse and PaiganBoi like this.
  17. Jesse

Jesse New Member

Lol, thanks SI3RRA 117. No offense taken at all. Lol. In fact, if I'd known how crazy colourful my build was going to be pre-paint and pre-registering on 405th, Spartan Skittles would've been the perfect username!

I managed to locate someone who sells mini fans too so figuring out how I can fit these into the helmet...just not sure yet how to orient the fans so that that draw air in...I'd rather not have to cut ugly obvious vents into the helmet if possible...

Will hopefully have some more updates later this week =)

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017 at 4:40 AM
    SI3RRA 117 likes this.
  18. PaiganBoi

PaiganBoi

If you are looking for visor material, give this a look. I am considering buy this for my visor.... Of course that all depends on when I finally get to building my bucket.
    Flexible Metallic Visor material

Jesse likes this.
  19. Jesse

Jesse New Member

Cheers for the link PaiganBoi. Will definitely keep it in mind. I have got a sample of silver mirror tint on its way to me as well so I will compare the visibility to the gold sample...both will look good with the intended blue colour scheme I want to do...the wifey tells me she thinks the silver may actually look cooler...will post my findings later.