If We Wanted To Improve The 405Th Forums...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most everything I would suggest has already been said and agreed upon a lot. So I will refrain.

But,

Suggestion, but with a question: Is it possible to utilize the post votes instead of the actual post count to determine the "rank" of the individual? That would cut down on people just doing post count to up their status, and, for the people that contribute, even if it's not very much, they can still improve.

For example: NewbA contributes to the discussion, is on topic, friendly, etc, his posts are consistently voted up. On +50 votes, he is considered an officially new member and can post his own topics. Since he has already proved himself valuable in the community, he has learned the extremely basic etiquette the internet is due.

In contrast: NewbB has been here a while, but is falling behind. He begins to be detrimental and negative, his vote count begins to drop, and he goes below 50 and is now, say, 45. He no longer can create his own topics and can only post replies, much like if he were a totally new member.

And lastly: NewbC joined during the Halloween rush and refuses to improve his behavior. His posts have been voted down so low, he's to -25. He has now been banned from posting for 1 month. No improvement once ban is lifted, (ie, votes down to -35), permaban. Etc.

Of course, if this isn't plausible, then uh.. disregard all that.

But moral of the story, if we do do a ranking system, it needs to be dynamic. Just because you earned it doesn't mean it's yours to keep indefinitely.

And, post votes would have to be higher levels than just 50s, obviously. Depending on how popular they become, I can see this getting abused. Members would need to understand, only vote up posts that contributed positively to the topic, vote down a post that's nothing but a copypasta "lol u r good."

Drakku said:
... Suggestion, but with a question: Is it possible to utilize the post votes instead of the actual post count to determine the "rank" of the individual? ...

... I can see this getting abused...

I don't know if it's possible but I think some sort of post countless system is what we need. As far as the abuse, what might be good is if we were able to see who gives + or - rep. Even if it's just the Mods that can see it, that might cut down on abuse because we would be able to go through and punish the abusers :)

To go back to the earlier discussion about the necro's we seem to be having more and more of recently, I've been manually locking most of the old (2007 and earlier) threads in an effort to cut down on them being resurrected. So far it's just over 6000 threads locked but there's plenty more from 2008 and early 2009 to go...

If you've got an old thread that gets locked and you want it open just drop me a PM :)

Last edited by a moderator:
belakor their is an option in the admin section talk to adam.. its called pruneing he sets a date the pruneing will start after a certain ammount of time the topic is inactive and it auto locks. mods can over rule this... this system is also in place to cut down on haveing to individualally lock each old topic.

dakku i love your idea the thing is after seeing the new forum system up and running ive only seen the rep system at the bottom of each post only used a few amount of times... yes the bottom right hand side of my post will have a plus minus and a 0 untill someone clicks it it will be their.. after 5 negative clicks this or any other post will be hidden to everyone except mods... its good but hasnt been utilized much since the forum change over.

CommanderFluffy said:
belakor their is an option in the admin section talk to adam.. its called pruneing he sets a date the pruneing will start after a certain ammount of time the topic is inactive and it auto locks. mods can over rule this... this system is also in place to cut down on haveing to individualally lock each old topic...

I'm aware of that but then it's just one more thing that Adam has to do, this way I only spent a an hour (maybe two) at the absolute most and it was done and out of the way :)

and the prune feature takes less than 3 minutes?

eh its ok i know an hour or two and whatnot now.. then the redundancy of doing it again next month or two.... yea... those hours could have been spent doing something with armor. lol im kidding... sorry if im being sarcastic but its the truth.

would this also be the reson why we need two admins not just adam... when he's not around things like these could be sorted out... and the site suggestions like in this thread would be solved and or put to use.

CommanderFluffy said:
would this also be the reson why we need two admins not just adam...

Would probably be best if it was Belakor, as he seems to be the only actively moderating person around right now (or, at least the most prominent).

Also, I agree with setting up a pruning system to stop necros completely, though there still remains a lot of rule-breaking that goes unnoticed (I know, I'm a broken record in this thread)

over 6000 threads locked

Only 3000 more to go!

I think if Adam is really busy right now, he should at least upgrade Belakor or another active mod to a higher status so they can delete sections like e-zine and E3.

Belakor said:
To go back to the earlier discussion about the necro's we seem to be having more and more of recently, I've been manually locking most of the old (2007 and earlier) threads in an effort to cut down on them being resurrected. So far it's just over 6000 threads locked but there's plenty more from 2008 and early 2009 to go...

I don't know if this is helping, but as a suggesstion, I was searching some various forums on the internet for a pepakura sphere (Deadmau5 helm), and I came across a site that Limited what threads you sould see. I didn't join, but it seemed like that only certain members (i assume non-necro-prone veteran types) were able to view/reply to them. Maybe thats possible but instead with a reply restriction (so others can still see resource/rules/sticky threads even if they're old) on older threads based on user? That way if some updates from the thread starter do come up, their thread won't be locked, giving Mods less to worry about?

EDIT: Maybe have a Rep system based on points and achievements (armor, tutorials, general citizenship stuff) and have only veterans or members of a certain level able to give reputation mods to eliminate mass-noob-signup-rep-spam?

Now that you say it Sith, I think a restriction may be a good idea based on reputation. If enough people give you the thumbs up (or whatever kind of rep you want) you get special access to certain topics, forums, or features such as signatures or starting topics.

Except that, as I'm sure you've seen before, the rep system is horribly difficult to regulate. Lots of people will get their friends to sign up to -rep others, or people will just start little grudge wars between each other. It's not a possiblity, it's a fact, so I wouldn't agree with a rep system.

ImaGonnaGetYou said:
Except that, as I'm sure you've seen before, the rep system is horribly difficult to regulate. Lots of people will get their friends to sign up to -rep others, or people will just start little grudge wars between each other. It's not a possiblity, it's a fact, so I wouldn't agree with a rep system.

Yeah, i agree.

Like In xbox live, when you are playing halo and you see a noob or a cheater, camper etc...

The first thing your teammates tell you is to report that noob, block him etc...

It would be nice, if the search results displayed first in the date format. (As opposed to Relevance.) That might eliminate some necroposting.

I'd like to see the possibility of a "3d Modeling" mini-forum. (Searching for the correct word.)

I'd also think that when the new users get their first email, they are directed to the orientation video, the rules of the forum, and possibly a new page detailing the location of certain things. (Stickies, Description of Each Forum, etc)

Cheers!

mustang2500 said:
True, but are we really that mean?

This is the internet. Are you kidding me? :]

And I agree with the grudge war thing, ImaGonna. But, if like Belakor said, and it was possible that mods could view who was plus'ing or minus'ing posts, if someone felt they were being inaccurately voted, they could speak to a mod and see if it was consistently by X person.

If it were doable, no matter what the regulations that were agreed upon and the steps taken to ensure fairness, it's going to get abused. Simple as that.

Something does need to be done, however, to weed out the newbs that are only here to get armor versus the newbs that are here to learn how to make it and actually be a part of the community. I feel like a time limit on when they can only read, then can only post, then can make topics, etc. (Downside of that, though, are the lurkers that already have been reading before they sign up, etc.. again, showing how there's no perfect way to do the system.)

sith i do see where your comming from with the unable to see posts thing from other websites. the reson sites do that is so they have an exclusve club and force signups to see more content... but usually once you do you have too much content and the user gets bored and leaves.

ill use one of my favorite sites as an example...

view before signup/sign in and after

[attachment=14102:point1.jpg][attachment=14103:point2.jpg]

I have to agree with Commander, seeing only those two things for say...

about a month and having no other access, and having a rather busy life ahead, you are unable t raise your count as other members may please on their spare time.

After seeing those two threads only for one user to see, they usually will leave due to how dull, boring and repetitive it is.

I know how people like their freedom.

They love to interact with other people, not just being completely restricted to two threads, with mostly the same stuff everyday.

Which would prove boring.

I know myself for being inactive as Sith's point with rep. But I don't do much of that besides artwork, and having a rather busy lifestyle which would leave me in the negatives. As seeing that it would probably be well for you people. But..

What if the new members had an idea to help out. and where only stuck to those two threads? Perhaps they would always be stuck within those two.

Their idea may be a great one to help out the community, but perhaps over time it will vanish. They will get annoyed and just leave as well.

(ex: Person1 saw the forums the way they are, from his cousin's account.

Person1 creates an account hoping that he can explain his idea on the discussion thread.

Person1 however can only see the general/noob etc forum area. And see's the rules must be like...you need 100 posts to see another part of the forum.

Person1 cannot get as many posts due to a but life, school/work/art/family/doctor appointments.

So they are unable to get the required amount. Over time of ignorance, and rather built up anger sort of thing he looses his idea to aid the forums, thus leaving.)

So...I'm not entirely 100% sure about the rep and all that, due to some points that I pointed out, unless a mod/veteran where allowed to see some of the posts and possibly help out. But in a way...I think it might be a bit cruel to restrict them, than again it is in a way to restrict spam from getting elsewhere.

Those are just my thoughts upon this idea.

so to recap on everything this far.... now we will have a list of what is good and bad so far... should we start a poll on things people most want to see or something?

here are the things that are good idea's:

1. prefixes for new threads... wip, event, showoff, question,

2. a tutorial and sticky section to clear up the forum sections. with a general link on each forum

3. search engine fix to find things more of relevance rather than things with the word.

4. setup a pruning system to lock topics older than a month or two.

5. chat links to be changed or deleted

6. clean up the mod team.. no offense but some of the mods aren't active

7. adam promotes a mod to an admin position to handle all these little tasks since he himself doesn't have the time lately

8. paid vip with a new name other than veteran and all it does is help out the site with finances

9. reform and reset the rank system to something new. (shameless plug http://405th.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=23043&st=20&p=367549&#entry367549)

10. charter Finnish

11. delete old forum category's ezine/e3

12. working chat that isn't live stream and works with the forums (again free services are the best)

13. theme change? the site really needs more of a 405th feel to it... it just really isn't the same as it was before the change.

14. grouped method of wip organization... a change or a new way to do so. drop down menu's or something.

15. sticky's for noobs... downloadable, easy to read and follow but still allow creative changes to them as each user fits.

16. non halo props forum

17. new content and threads fixed.

18. a fixed q&a area where it works like a knowledge base rather than pm's or thread questions for easy browseing.

19. sig image restrictions

20. build comepetition or build a thon

21. pep hub change like the wiki

23. new users must watch the intro video before signup.. thats a terms change very easy

24. noobs cant post topics outside the noob forum untill a post certain post count is reached.. it used to be 20 before the forums changed i believe

bad ideas:

1. paid memberships...

2. pay for posts...

3. 405th like gaia online forums ( i dont know how bad that site is i cant comment)

4. reputation/karma system (this can be abused at times)

5. age restriction... very bad cause everyone will lie on the age signup

6. hideing forums untill certain post count or signup is avaiable... classified section excluded from this

LastSpartan said:
I can't agree more.

This, absolutely. Perfect list you got thar, though personally I would like the current theme to at least stay as an option. Brighter colors (like white, light blue, etc.) on monitors or TV screens give me splitting headaches, though I doubt that would change anything >_>.

CommanderFluffy said:
bad ideas:

3. 405th like gaia online forums ( i dont know how bad that site is i cant comment)

Gaia forums are just that.. forums. Was that suggestion meaning Gaia-like organization?

They do have things laid out very nicely. We could adapt that into our system and do a rehaul?

Example how it is on Gaia:

GaiaForum.png

Now, the problem with that, is that what happens on Gaia would happen here: people would start associating with their subforum and hardly ever venture out of them.

But! A little more organization couldn't hurt? I think that's what the suggester was getting at?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back