Iron man helmet - Foam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draxon

Jr Member
Hello 405th! Well this isn't a halo project but after messing up on building a thigh i got annoyed and frusterated so i decided to start a Iron man helmet till I'm ready to work on my halo armor with a clear mind haha! I'll be starting on it either tonight or tomorrow so hopefully I'll have photos up soon! I have a question about the eyes though. I'd like to have them light up but I'm not exactly sure how I'm going to make them light up. Any ideas?

Very simple dude, about 6-8 LEDs some wire, about 4 9V battery's dependent on LED size and a switch :)

Sure that'd be great! I looked up one way and it had some glasses lenses covering the eyes (so when they aren't lit-up they still look legit) and then some LEDs on the sides to light it up. Is that how you do it?

pretty much basically perspex lenses with latex glove covering the lenses and a small slit at the bottom as a view port then with having about 4 LEDS along the top of each eye, when they light they illuminate the latex and give it the glow. obviously you need blue LEDS for iron man. if you don't latex the lenses then you just get the edges light up and not the whole lense. i'll post you up a diagram shortly. the misses is watching crap on the telly so i'll get on with it in a sec :)

Ok here's the pic. Basically you can see slots under the eyes where you look out of. And the circuit is for four LEDs you new to make sure using ohms law that the LEDs voltage adds up to 9v or it won't work.
Rather than returning the wire after the LEDs to the battery -ive terminal you can add another battery and more LEDs to suit and then return the circuit to the -ive terminal to complete the circuit. Check out this build to see the eyes in further detail Drack is a mate of mine and will be happy to help you further :)
http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/35552-Iron-Man-2-MK5-Suitcase-Foam-Build

And the picture:

89b4c201.jpg
[/IMG]

Don't forget to add resistors, you don't want to burn out your LEDs

You won't need to add resistors if the LEDs equal the 9v supply, if you add a resistor and the LEDs already equal 9v then nothing will happen because the supply voltage won't be sufficient to power the circuit as the overall resistance from components will be too high.

DBMike this all sounds very familiar. Almost like your describing my ironman helmet :p. As for the lighting in the helmet it all depends on if you wire your LEDs in series or parallel. In my iron man helmet I did them in series so it required 4 x 9v batteries which is a bit overkill and does add a bit too much weight to the helmet. The up side to this is that I get more battery life. In my Masterchief suit I put alot more of the lights in parallel to save on having to buy 100 battery (exaggerated). If you are not sure what this means I can do you a full explanation. Check my ironman foam build here click me. Sorry my lighting isn't covered in this thread but creation is so it may help/inspire.

Good luck and hope you achieve your goals.
Tom.

well since your helmet is my only reference to it then yep i'd say i was describing your build lol :) I even added a link to your project thread! haha

Lol not the end of the world. It's your build and your design so it's better you explain it really :)

Drack did actually remind me that making the circuit in parallel would be better than series as you can add more LEDs to less batteries. (I tend to jump in to things with out really thinking so it was a good reminder from him lol).

My brain hurts after seeign that led tutorial and I still dont understand and the most frustrating thing is I cant make an iron man helmet out of foam because the hinges wont work so the faceplate can open and close. I hate pepping besides theres no where here that sell resin and bondo. So thats why I am into foam building. Lol

It is possible to hinge it even out of foam. Your best bet for the eyes is one battery with your LEDs in parallel :)

really? Ive never seen an iron man with hinges before , and I still dont understand abiut the leds since theres to many ways to do it that I dont know wich one works best is there any video , because I understand more if I see people doing things than youst try to explain it to me with words no offense friend.
It is possible to hinge it even out of foam. Your best bet for the eyes is one battery with your LEDs in parallel :)

Iron man Helmet Update!

Hello 405th! Well i finally got around to finishing the iron man helmet but it still needs to be painted, strenghthened, blah blah blah. So here it is!

I was thinking to use these ski goggles for my halo suit but decided to try them with the iron man helmet instead so i wouldn't have to have light up eyes and go through all the trouble of the lights, wiring and all that stuff haha!
image.jpg

image1.jpg

image2.jpg

image3.jpg

image4.jpg

image5.jpg

image6.jpg

image7.jpg

image8.jpg

It still needs to be painted and everything else but i got it all together so next is sanding, strenghthing, then painting. I have a question though, do you use spraypaint with foam or the good old paint and brush?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back