Iron man helmet - Foam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Update!

Hey guys, well i almost finished the iron man helmet but i had a minor setback.. again... anyways here are some pics of what has been done up to date.

I had already painted the helmet red after i had plastidiped it in black again to get rid of the few bumps and glue marks left. So i went on to painting the face plate gold. I covered the red in a garbage bag and sealed the edges with some green tape. Here it is.

Paint1.jpg

Paint2.jpg

Paint3.jpg

This is what it looked like after it was spraypainted in gold.
Paint4.jpg

Paint5.jpg

Alright well this is the helmet after i took off the bag and tape and this is how it came out.
Painted1.jpg

Painted2.jpg

All in all, the gold came out pretty good but i realized i messed up... The garbage bag decided to stick to the red paint and it took some of it off and made it ugly. At a few tini places, the gold came off too but the one spot on the jaw line its really notice-able. Here is the evil that that garbage bag inflickted on my helmet.
Painted4.jpg

Painted3.jpg

Well there ya have it. I need some advice about how to paint the helmet so it comes out nicer then what it did, and so the paint doesn't come off with the tape or bag. Please help! Thanks!

Awesome, it looks so perfect . And about the paint removal well theres like a blue tape that is for this kinda of things am not sure what is called but when you take it off it doesnt stick . But over all it looks awesome

Looking nice man. I am not sure if it looks worse off camera but the mishaps don't look too bad. Looking forward to seeing this build finished.

Painting advice:
1. Don't use plastic bag to cover freshly painted work, Use green/blue painters tape and news paper.
2. Wait until the paint is fully cured before you tape up and add additional paint coats of other colours.
3. If you want a glass smooth fininsh, you will have to wet sand the piece once it is fully cured.

Helmet looks great!
Keep it up!
Cereal.

Certain sandpapers will say Wet/Dry Sandpaper on them, and with those you can spray the part with water, or soak the sandpaper, and then sand the part. This usually gives you a smoother finish, and is used quite a bit for things like woodworking.

finally.. an update..

Hello 405h! I have finally gotten back to my builds! Well here is the lastest with the helmet!

image-1.jpg

image1-1.jpg

image2-1.jpg

image3-1.jpg

image4-1.jpg

I had painted it and took the paper off and it looked great! Sadly no pics.. sorry.. But.. when i had moved on to finishing it with a clear coat i had left it in our shop to dry and cure, but unfortunately some dust, dirt and bugs decided to have a party on my helmet.. It looked terrible... I've gotten it all cleaned up and will repaint both colors and the clear coat onto the helmet later on this week when i get the time. Sigh.. I AM DETERMENED TO FINISH THIS HELMET!!! Thanks again for looking!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back