Ironman Foam Builds (info added on page 1 for foam builds) Update on helmet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Update time.

Well guys spent all day getting the PVA coats on and the helmet is primed ready for some clear coat before moulding. I am really happy with the result. It was well worth the extra expense for the Plasizote and the time I put into this helmet to make sure it was as clean as possible ready for moulding. Let's hope there aren't too many imperfections to have to fill/sand once it's cast. Of course I know I will have some work to do on it but once I have a perfect helmet I may cast that one so I have a perfect mould.

IMG_1441.jpg

I just wanted to say that I think that your work is amazing! Really inspirational. I'm gonna have to look into foam building now and it's all your fault. I'd imagine that you get results quicker than using pep, resin and filler. I'm just wondering if I actually have the skill and artistic vision for this work though.

Thank you man much appreciated. If you are thinking of trying a foam build I do say do it. If you have a glue gun or can borrow some ones then a roll of Foam isn't a huge expense to try your hand at it. It's much better than paying out for resin and bondo plus the hours spent gluing card and sanding to find out its not your thing. Foam gives much quicker results although like anything it shouldn't be rushed. There is no reward for getting there first, the reward is in owning some kick as armour :)

pleasure seeing you yesterday and the suit. Twas looking stunning :)

Was good to see you too bro and glad you liked :)

Wow drack this look fantastic! :)

Cheers matey I am pretty proud of it so far.

WOW!!!! that is just Awesome. I'm loving how this is starting to come together.:D

Thank you man means alot coming from such a good armourer. The down side of the stage I am at with the helmet is that I didn't buy enough silicon and can't afford any more at the moment so the cast is on hold for now. It's not a biggy as have lots of other stuff to work on but I was getting all excited at casting this baby. Suppose I will have to get back on with the hands, waist and arc reactor again till I can muster up some funds.

Tom.

Well done, but are you still working on the mark 5?

When this one is finished I am going to get back on it. The Mark 6 was the first I tried in pep and failed so now I have found that foam is my forte I just had to revisit the reason I started amour building. The up side to the break from the Mark 5 is that I have learned so much since I started it I have more experience, materials and techniques to bring to the build now :)

Tom.

truely great job. ive never worked with foam but from what ive seen, your one of the greatest foam workers.

Little update.

Got my ears made. I used 3 layers of expanded PVC foam board. They will be attached to the helmet once it's cast (I actually made them while making the helmet and forgot to post them).

IMG_1438.jpg

Hey Tommy Tom Tom, lol, do you have a link to where you bought the plastizote from?

Not sure that it will be of use V I got it here in the Uk.

Fooie. I thought you might have found a sweet deal on it or something. That's cool I find one here in the states then. Thanks anyway! :D

No mine wasn't cheap. It's the same place James aka Xrobots gets his. Just started researching into how to make the hinges for my visor (plastic binding screws/Chicago screws etc) and found that they are not easy to come by cheap here so just tried my hand at making my own and I was more than successfully :)
I can make the joints even more compact than if I buy the pieces. Will post up exactly how once the helmet is cast. Just waiting on pay day so I can get some more silicon.

No mine wasn't cheap. It's the same place James aka Xrobots gets his. Just started researching into how to make the hinges for my visor (plastic binding screws/Chicago screws etc) and found that they are not easy to come by cheap here so just tried my hand at making my own and I was more than successfully :)
I can make the joints even more compact than if I buy the pieces. Will post up exactly how once the helmet is cast. Just waiting on pay day so I can get some more silicon.
Yeah I figured it was quite a bit more expensive. What was the thickness that you bought? I look forward to seeing your take on hinge setup, etc. :D

I used 6mm Pzote. Not ideal for strength but was cheaper than the 10mm and I assume easier to cut. I wanted quality over everything else so the helmet is fit for casting. I am just about to fill it with expanding foam for some solidarity.

Do you need both Craft foam, and Foam mats?? Can I just use Foam mats altogether?

Depends on the armour piece you are making. I don't use alot of craft foam where as LilTyrant uses loads. I haven't used any craft foam on this build yet and I don't think I will be to be honest.

Edit: I lie! Most of my gloves are to be made from craft foam :)

Depends on the armour piece you are making. I don't use alot of craft foam where as LilTyrant uses loads. I haven't used any craft foam on this build yet and I don't think I will be to be honest.

Edit: I lie! Most of my gloves are to be made from craft foam :)

Great! Thanks, and I was wondering: Is this thickness of this set good enough? I'm doing a Halo: Reach default MJOLNIR Powered Assault Armor/Mark V armor, but w/ the MKVI Helmet. Helmet's pepped, but I want to use foam for the body.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...&productId=202019834&R=202019834#.UG8-jZjA8-A

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back