Kensai's Halo Reach - Jorge-052 Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Update #1:

chest1.jpg

I took out my current Mark VI chest and soaked cardboard in a white glue/water mixture. This will allow the cardboard to bend without creating crease lines. I then shaped the wet glue covered cardboard concoction over my existing Mark VI chest so everything will be to scale on my body. I now have it sitting infront of the fireplace (keeping an eye on it of course) so it will cook to shape and I can remove the blue tape and begin trimming the edges. As it's impossible to see the back of Jorge since he has that huge backpack to attend to so I'll only need to do this for the front half. This will provide a steady base for me to scratch build off of that is already in the generic shape and perfectly sized to my body. Have faith.. I've done this before..

Cheers,

Kensai

EDIT: I'm still doing the physical chest part dont worry it won't be all scraggly at the end of the carboard like it looks. It'll get another coat of glue so it will stick to the piece getting shaped underneath the straps (not shown).

BenStreeper said:
kool sir, if nothing else I have email. I am going to try my hand at the EVA wielding the knife. I know it's probably Kelly but that's some damn fine armor. I figure it's all a hi detail mark V suit with add ons. So the base armor should be the same.

If it is any of the spartans from the book I would have to say it is probably Fred. He always had a knife with him if I remember right. I think the one in the blue is probably Kelly. Either way they are all awesome though.

I am trying to not get too far off topic but it is starting to look doubtful the chief will be in this... :(

Last edited by a moderator:
started "research sketching" up shots of the armor. For those who haven't scratch built before these will help you too. I will refine the images as i go but here is the first helmet sketch of what i can see. Sorry for the quality but the first several sketches will be done quick (>5 min) then refined

HaloReachHelmetsketch1.jpg

Er no offense guys, this is my WIP thread - that's cool you're all excited about Reach but please keep it on topic about my Jorge build eh? There's a million and one other threads about Reach you can go put this in :) . Thanks.

Anyhow back on topic.. UPDATE #2:

IMG_0431.jpg

It's still ugly woot! However if you notice there's only the 2 small strips of tape holding to the chest (where it will connect to the backpack which doesn't exist at the moment). It's finally dried out and been cooked into a chest-like shape. Next I'll be trimming the edges up and putting in support struts so I can remove it from the chest plate entirely. Then comes the ACTUAL building of the new armor on this base aka results. On the plus side this ugly thing is scaled perfectly to my body already.

Cheers,

Kensai

i am definitely going to be watching this topics while i build my Mark V heavy, but i'm going to start with a peped mark v and go from there

kensai111 said:
Er no offense guys, this is my WIP thread - that's cool you're all excited about Reach but please keep it on topic about my Jorge build eh? There's a million and one other threads about Reach you can go put this in :) . Thanks...

The moderation monkey with laser eyes agrees with the above and says lets keep this on topic, we've got these two threads over in Halo Universe for the Reach trailer and Spartan discussion:

http://405th.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=22933

http://405th.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=23374

Looking good so far Kensai, working off an existing base makes things so much easier :D Also it looks like you might be able to use an oversized CQB shoulder as a base for Jorge's.

S299 said:
i am definitely going to be watching this topics while i build my Mark V heavy, but i'm going to start with a peped mark v and go from there

Good luck, I can live or without pep. I know I'm essentially cheating since I already have a pre-existing suit to work off of that's near perfectly scaled but scratch building can save a lot of time. I feel I'll be using a little pep in the future since a few pieces can easily be edited to the new Reach armor like Jorge's bicep which is pretty much a curved CQB bicep - should make for a nice enough base to build off of anyhow.

Cheers,

Kensai

EDIT: Belakor beat me too it.

you could have the pieces either buckle or snap to your existing armor, that way you can still use it as a regular Mark VI

Spartan 051 said:
so what going to happen to your mark VI chest? seams like your going to loose it for the jorge-052 build

Nope, once I'm done with this cardboard chest I'll take the tape off and detach it from this chestplate and it will be "molded" to it's shape. I'll then start cutting out the new pieces that make up the Jorge armor and attaching them to the new cardboard base.

I'll be keeping the Mark VI in it's whole .. for now.

Cheers,

Kensai

Update #3:

IMG_0432.jpg

Sorry the back base for the bomb collar looks crooked .. it was setting unevenly on the two shoulder spikes of the Mark VI. As you can see I've got the front part of the neck hole cut as close as I can tell from the trailer (I can always go back and add or subtract at a later phase). I've got the base foundation for the bomb collar in, I still need the cut and round the back of the neck hole though. I forsee me hacking off a good portion of the chest as there is little to no armor beyond the canister. On the plus side I also discovered a pretty decent placeholder for the canister - 2 100 count CD spindel tops glued together. I'll investigate into it further and see if it looks right proportionally.

Cheers,

Kensai

I like it Kensai!! I have always been interested in watching custom scratch builds come together! Keep up the good work..and just so you know Im blown away by the speed you are working on this!! I wish I could build that fast :pAnd its good to! I have no doubt in my mind this will be an epic build once it is completed.

-Loki

Trickster Loki said:
I like it Kensai!! I have always been interested in watching custom scratch builds come together! Keep up the good work..and just so you know Im blown away by the speed you are working on this!! I wish I could build that fast :pAnd its good to! I have no doubt in my mind this will be an epic build once it is completed.

-Loki

Thanks, I'm looking at a full cardboard "finished" chest by midweek or so. Finished of course meaning sans resin/fiberglass/ and Bondo.My master plan is to build it all out in cardboard/cardstock and have the fiberglass already temp. glued in place all over the armor. That way way by the time I finish building the whole suit it'll be early spring and I can just slap a coat of resin on the outside (therfore fiberglassing it) and slush cast Rondo on the inside. Then it's just Bondo and detailing before throwing a wicked paintjob on for the spring. Then I'll be dedicating my time/materials to some forum friends and help them get their Reach suits finished.

Cheers,

Kensai

I like that idea Kensai!! I have been doing a ton of research on the Reach guys since this whole video/topic stuff popped up. And Ill be attempting one later on down the road...I just have to get my iron man going as well >_> Taking on to many things at once! hahah. I also have some side projects Im doing as well but Ill add this to the list! Ill be watching this one with interest for sure!!!

Any idea what your going to do for the helmet yet? His almost looks like a modified scout type helmet. You going to use that model as a base and make a variant? Or how you going about doing that?

-Loki

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back