Robot Chicken's PILLAR OF AUTUMN Build - 3D Printed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Based on what I can see, the Pillar Of Autumn looks practically the same in Combat Evolved (anniversary edition with enhanced graphics) as it does in Reach. Maybe it originally looked different, but comparing screenshots from the two games they look close enough to the same that it should be fair to reference either for details. I am now overhauling much of the detailing on the CAD model so it better matches the screenshots. I know I originally said I wouldn't do this (damned OCD) but since this now can't get done in time for a book report because of the printer going on strike I have a little more time for getting the details fixed up. I still swear I am not going to do any major surgery on the hull basic shape because that's a bit more work and we do want to finish this in a reasonable timeframe. Supplies are mostly ordered (SMD LEDs, fiber optic - I've misplaced my smaller diameters, metal tubing, fusion generators....hehe) so next is revamping the model (again!). (That's what I get for not starting out with good high-resolution references.) I will post pictures of each section of the model as I get it finished so you Halo experts can tell me what I got right and what should be changed. It might be foolish, but I'm going to trust the part specifications (LEDs, tubing, etc) and start making model edits before parts arrive for me to physically measure. (crossed-fingers smilie)

Does anybody know how to get front-view and top-view captures of the ship? In the Reach level "Pillar Of Autumn" the game map edge prevents me from moving a camera around to the front or top of the ship. I've got plenty of shots from the rear side but can't figure out how to get images like this (and zoomed in closer):

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/d3BKdiHF-EY/maxresdefault.jpg
http://img01.deviantart.net/701d/i/...lar_of_autumn_c_709_by_turbofurby-d6f8w77.jpg
http://halo.bungie.org/images/bry_1kscreens/Pillar-of-Autumn.jpg

If anybody's got ideas for how I can get more screen captures of this ship I'd love to hear them. I got what I could from Reach "Pillar Of Autumn" (but can't figure out how to get better view angles), the intro of Combat Evolved anniversary edition, and cut-scene starting "The Maw". We saw a cut-scene when finishing Reach that tied in with the beginning of Combat Evolved but can't find a way to replay it. You can send me images if you like (I already have well over 200 captured from the games) but more valuable is game levels where I can record my own images so I can focus on areas of specific interest for modeling.

Last edited:
Alright, this project is now going to shift gears. I've acquired the actual game model from Reach with all the texture maps and everything. It's got all the proportions and details exactly correct (go figure, it's from the game....) so I'm switching over to that model as my base. That means this will now be all correctly proportioned and detailed - the game model even has all the various antennas and lights on it! (Sorry, CPO mendez!) So tonight after work I'm going to start taking some measurements on the model and compare them to the LED specs to work out sizing. Wait 'til you see the newly modeled parts...!!! (And here's a shoutout and huge thank you to altis94 over at Halo Maps for all the resources support which has been invaluable with the Mk VI armor modeling and now the Pillar Of Autumn project!)

Last edited:
While I'm waiting for components to arrive, I came up with another idea. I'm going to unfold the larger areas of the model in Pepakura Designer and give to the kid so he can still pep a 3D model for his book report, roughly 3' long. It won't be near as detailed as the 3D printed one, but will be adequate for its purpose. The 3D printed version is still happening with lighting, but the priority over the next week will be getting parts ready for the kid to begin pepping so the due date can be met. I'll probably post a few pics of the pep model as its coming together.

Nozzles have arrived and filament is passing through the extruder again!! :) kaween, darn it, you kept me from getting a new printer!! :lol: But seriously, no this is great. I can get by with the Dremel for now and will look into a dual-extruder heated-table printer down the road. Right now the priority is getting a pep version of the POA done so the kid can start building it. 3D printed version with lights will start up afterwards.

Myeah, that's my curse. Repairing stuff. :D . As a consequence, I've got rather a lot of old, still working stuff around in the house.
So much even that my wife once asked "why I didn't get rid of that old stuff".
Which prompted me to answer "well I haven't got rid of you either now have I".

..... next few seconds I was very happy I could outrun her. :D

Pepakura model is done and unfolded. It doesn't have a lot of detail, but that's deliberate because of the project's intent. It's going to be pepped in-color, with the various holes around the model to be filled with darker paper to simulate details such as hangar bays and lights. Need to get this pepped within about 2 weeks, so next is pumping 44 pages of data through the Cameo. (Honestly, a 3D printed version is coming - just need to get a simpler model produced first.)

POA12_zpsvqduens0.png

POA13_zps2c8uwqok.png

Looks pretty detailed to me..... I couldn't pep that. Good luck anxious to see the final product.

Thanks. This model is quite plain when compared with the next model to be made. 154 parts in less than 2 weeks - thank goodness for quick-dry tacky glue! I can pep this, but the kid has to do as much as he has time allowed for (other homework on top of this). I'll be assembling the smaller detail areas for him.

Last edited:
Man, I was really hoping that a 3' build wouldn't have any of this kind of pepping...

POA14_zpsavneyjlh.png

This pep version provides a decent prototyping of how the 3D printed version will go together, getting me acquainted with the various shapes and trouble areas. Although the sizing hasn't been finalized yet for the 3D printed model, this pep version looks like it's going to be a little smaller.

POA15_zpsuxufli9o.png

The cardstock and PLA color is way off in the photos. In person it's dark grey, not blue. Metallic blue foil cardstock is representing the forward lights and will be used on the engines as well.

Last edited:
Why are you pepping it if you are going to 3d print it?? You probably answered this already, but I can't keep up with the posts from the last page... damn eggheads. :rolleyes:

(ps: I hope you know that is a term of endearment. :) kaween has become a good friend, even if I can only understand half of what he says.)

Why are you pepping it if you are going to 3d print it?? You probably answered this already, but I can't keep up with the posts from the last page...

School project deadline can't be met with 3D printing (post #44). We feel we can pep this faster and cheaper than it will take to 3D print (dozens of parts at 10+ hours per part just doesn't have time to complete before the due date), so the book report project will be a pep job. The 3D printer model will still happen afterwards but I want to give it the needed time to put in all the details and lighting as seen in the game. The pep model will serve as a cheap prototype for gauging the 3D printed model's size and sort've give a run-through on assembly.

Yeah, the last page kind've got a bit off-topic discussing 3D printers when mine stopped working but filament is flowing again so hopefully parts will print properly when I get back to printing them.

(glad I'm not the only one who understands only about half of what kaween says when he starts talking about 3D printing....lol)

Last edited:
Really going to appreciate water-slide decals later on with the other model. At this tiny scale the Cameo didn't do that great of a job cutting out the letters, and they're so small I had to apply each one individually because they wouldn't adhere to the carrier film. I'm sure they'll end up looking fine in the context of a whole assembled ship. The font is "Gunship" and available online.

POA16_zpsayfqyhl8.png

Measuring over a foot long now. A little warping happening here and there due to lighter-weight cardstock being used, but I don't think it's much of an issue considering what the finished model is being used for. Having worked on this I can honestly say it will be gratifying assembling the 3D printed version where all the edges will be straight!

POA18_zpswdvcajdq.png

....and this was no fun at all, and I need to do it again for the other side:

POA19_zpsgurkmucy.png

I should have put a penny in there for scale. That red bar is about 5mm tall. I know, insane.....

Finished at 900mm (about 3' long). A little warping due to thin cardstock, but hey it's just for a book report project. (Keys action figure for scale.)
POA21_zpsawo7ede1.png

The metallic blue foil cardstock ended up working well for the lights and engines.
POA22_zpsnor6kumb.png

Next up I'll be working out sizing for the 3D printed version, based off the LED sizes I hope to use for the windows. I'm also going to model up a metal interior framework for supporting the weight this beast is going to be. I have other ideas too about how to go about the detailing (brass photo etching, styrene parts, etc). I'm going all-out on the model detailing now that I've got time to do this proper.

Last edited:
Looks awesome hah bet no one else shows up with 3' pep model for a book report project.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back