Sean Anwalt's Mk V build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seaaaaan, hurry up, done finished mine and repainted it twice!

I've finished the armor, man. The undersuit is going to have to wait for a while, though.

Here, have a picture to tide you over until then:
20190107_175056.jpg

I was in a local tactical gear store today and I showed a picture of my suit to the lady there for ideas for undersuit stuff. She gave me info for this company that has really cool padding gear. They actually have a neoprene knee sleeve that has the same molded look as chief's knees do. The company is call Damascus gear. They have elbow sleeves that I think may work well too. I think I'll be able to piece together a really cool undersuit with stuff like this as well as more foam work. Worth checking out. That and safariland has tons of stuff to dig through also.

Last edited:
I like safariland.

What I intend to do with the undersuit is build it from scratch, but with no money coming in, I can't afford the material or pattern. Barley getting my mortgage paid for, you know?

But I get what your saying, that's some good advice.

Yeah I totally understand bro. Priorities first armor second. Well another thing I'm also finding out is paintball compression armor has a lot of the same loom as spartan undersuits too. I'm actually looking at that route now. I found a set just now that very closely resemble chief's knee area undersuit and they "bulk" me up just slightly more to pass as chief. Lots of stuff out there, I too may also build some stuff from scratch too.

Yeah I totally understand bro. Priorities first armor second. Well another thing I'm also finding out is paintball compression armor has a lot of the same loom as spartan undersuits too. I'm actually looking at that route now. I found a set just now that very closely resemble chief's knee area undersuit and they "bulk" me up just slightly more to pass as chief. Lots of stuff out there, I too may also build some stuff from scratch too.
Wo wo wo! You better be careful there my friend, this type of talk can get you in the hole, AND some wet noodle lashes!

But in all seriousness, that's a great idea!

Wo wo wo! You better be careful there my friend, this type of talk can get you in the hole, AND some wet noodle lashes!

But in all seriousness, that's a great idea!
Haha yeah just keeping my mind open right now, exploring all options. I also found cheap compression padded sport shirts for football on amazon that have very cool and similar undersuit lines from the game. There are cool options out there. My biggest thing, I want to be able to wash it. If I start gluing foam to my undersuit, sure I could make it look cool, but it wouldnt look cool destroyed from washing either.

Pfft. Spartans don't do laundry!

Heck, after Bungie sold halo, every time a SPARTAN changes clothes, he puts on new armor.

Lame.

Haha I share the same frustrations. Halo 3 was my favorite look of mk VI, Reach was my favorite customization. Sometimes h5 armor looks OK, but most variants of armor on there looks like transformers, metroid, or power rangers.

New post on an old thread, but until I get my undersuit done I can't post in the complete costume thread. So I'll post my latest outing to the library here!

20190219_141346.jpg

Walked the four or five blocks with the wife, who took a few pictures.
20190219_142910.jpg

Had something like 10 people honk at me, three or four shout outs, and at least two pictures out of a passing car window. It was fun.
Wife picked up a video we wanted to see, while I studied my enemy:
20190219_142221.jpg

20190219_142311.jpg

On the way out someone suggested I did a snow angel, which I obviously did.
20190219_143019.jpg

So, question for the more experienced cosplayers:
My suit was not constructed as sturdily as TurboCharizard or ExCeLLuR8, and my forearms and a couple things are causing problems. In regular maintenance would the shoe goo method be good to help the toughness, or is it going to cause problems to the finish?

Also thinking about remaking my shoes altogether...

Anyway, hope you enjoyed my outing. Hopefully the next time I post an update in this thread will be because the costume is finished!

20190219_142331.jpg

Attachments

• 20190219_141714.jpg
    20190219_141714.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 202
New post on an old thread, but until I get my undersuit done I can't post in the complete costume thread. So I'll post my latest outing to the library here!

View attachment 266468
View attachment 266469
Had something like 10 people honk at me, three or four shout outs, and at least two pictures out of a passing car window. It was fun.
View attachment 266470

View attachment 266472
View attachment 266474

My suit was not constructed as sturdily as TurboCharizard or ExCeLLuR8, and my forearms and a couple things are causing problems. In regular maintenance would the shoe goo method be good to help the toughness, or is it going to cause problems to the finish?

Anyway, hope you enjoyed my outing. Hopefully the next time I post an update in this thread will be because the costume is finished!

View attachment 266471

Nice I really like your color choice. Classic UNSC.

View attachment 266468
View attachment 266469
View attachment 266470

View attachment 266472
View attachment 266474

View attachment 266471
Yes... Mine is totally sturdy... I've never had seams blow out ever :cautious:

I'm no master of shoe goo but to repair a popped join I always keep a bottle of Gorilla Glue Super Gel in the emergency kit and then back the seam when possible. In some trouble spots I laminate aluminum flashing in strip between the foam and another sheet of 2mm foam if the seam popped due to flexing from body movement. If the seam was originally just bad I'll glue the top edge discreetly and add a hot glue backer to reinforce.

The issue is usually with colour matching paint to hide your repair. Sometimes you luck out and you'll get a split at a butt joint of foam at different depths so you can just add "shading" to cover any glue seep out. Sometimes it's a really obvious split along a seam that was supposed to be hidden, this is where using a silver paint pen to make "surface scratches" and adding extra mud and grit become a good strategy if you can't hide your crimes.

If all else fails and the spot makes sense, UA attachments! Add some pouches! Get creative!

View attachment 266468
View attachment 266469
View attachment 266470

View attachment 266472
View attachment 266474

View attachment 266471

Man thats awesome, love the pics and that snow angel is brave!! Well the Shoe goo is never really used on my exterior other than around the soles on my boots. Shoe goo is used only on the inside of my suit pieces for the strength and support. So you can apply the shoe goo whenever if you choose really. Here is a pic of my boot sole. Look closely around the edges of the sole and you'll see the bead of
shoe goo all around it to protect the foam from getting scuffed or damaged. The entire inside of the boot shells are heavily coated with shoe goo to support the whole boot and set the sole. Lastly the host shoe is bedded together with the boot sole with even more shoe goo. Give it at least 3-4 days to cure. Each boot took about 1 week a piece in just shoe gooing alone, not even foam assembly. It's a process. Lol
15506313049661762837355.jpg

And yes like TurboCharizard mentioned. Super glue is great. I have had amazing results with loctite 5 sec super glue. Very strong very quick. I have noticed lightly sanding the foam about to be join increases the bonding even better and don't use to much. I use little triangles of scrap foam to wipe away excesso glue or to work it into a seam. Once the seam is join, the sanding block with 320 grit sandpaper is my best friend. Good for sanding off excess glue as well as making that seam edge look like a machined edge. Of course with yours being painted you'll have to work gently, and of course probably make paint touchups. Definitely would encourage trying to mend seams with a super glue base like turbo mentioned is at all possible. Hit that seam on the inside with shoe goo to reinforce it.. heck do the whole inside like me! Lol do you have over spray paint or rubber coat that made its way on the inside of your pieces?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back