Spartan Fred and Kelly Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your seams are quite neat. Pin straight and clean. Great job!!!

Your creations are just simply amazing, I am loving every detail of your work and just like them, I can't wait to see the finished product. Keep us posted.

Your creations are just simply amazing, I am loving every detail of your work and just like them, I can't wait to see the finished product. Keep us posted.

Thanks a lot. I can assure you the post will keep coming all the way up to completion.

A quick little update as I'm really looking for feed back. I've printed and mocked up the last few "small" pieces of Laura's Hermes armor, which is the upper arm. I'm really wanting to double check the sizing of them.

20170825_105717.jpg

She has a lot of loose skin on her arms from her weight loss, and I'm just trying to imagine how much the under suit and what not will help with slimming them down. The other challenge is that Kelly's Hermes armor doesn't have a lot of upper arm armor to begin with when compared to other named Spartan characters.

spartankelly.jpg

I'm thinking the shoulder is good. If there is any size change I would imagine it would be the bicep and tricep pieces, but even then I think it's just a matter of widening them.

Again thoughts.

Progress is coming along. Butt plate is finished and ready for final clean up and then paint.

20170828_180557.jpg

My only criticism of it is that I feel the thin armor plate under it should come out a little further, but overall it's a keeper.

20170828_180621.jpg

Let me know your thoughts. I think the next part we're tackling is the upper arm then it's on to the chest.

Big update today, and need some suggestions.

First off the butt plate and tricep plates have their base color on. Just need to shade them and add detail.

20170901_111539.jpg

The bicep plates are almost done with construction. These where a bit trickier to put together than I imagine.

20170904_153115.jpg

Stuck on thinking of what to do about the end cap pieces.

20170904_152755.jpg

20170904_152802.jpg

This is with 2mm craft foam, and I'm just wondering if it will throw things off. I do plan to blend the end cap with the side pieces with joint filler. I'm just curious to hear from you.

Well, progress has moved onto the more interesting parts. I'll be mocking up the bracer and chest armor sometime this week. In the mean time, I got Kelly's glove armor printed.

20170908_193210.jpg

I just need some feed back and guidance on how to attach the armor to the glove. Any takers?

There's been a bit of lull, but there has been progress. It may not look like much, but forward movement is forward movement.

First up. I put a a shade color on all the armor pieces I have done. Now I need to add all the little detail colors like the greys and random yellows.

20170927_143608.jpg

In preparation of building the main chest armor, I had help mocking up the armor with card stock to make sure it fits and help me actual build it.

20170912_172404.jpg

After questing to see if any auto place could to see if they could mirror coat Laura's visor to no avail, I finally sprayed the visor using Spaz Stix paint. I applied it with my airbrush in a few very thin almost misted coats. It turned out well enough, and she'll still be able to see through it. The vision is not great, about as good as I can see through my ODST visor, but it's manageable.

20170929_160706.jpg

20170929_220620.jpg

I'll be starting work on the chest armor now, so look forward to all that.

Well, I spent a lot of time on this, but there are so many errors staring at me that I've decided to just start over on the chest plate.

The biggest motivator for this is the center line. Getting the angles and lining things up has proven to be a big challenge. The other thing is that trying to assemble the center detail with things assembled around it also really makes putting it together that much harder.

The bright side of this is that I have a much better idea at how to put it together, so it might speed things up.
20171006_1930541.jpg

Sorry it's been so quiet. Got wrapped up in the work up to QuestCon, and getting ready for Emerald Coast Con. However, in the mean time, I did manage to get some more work done on Laura's Kelly armor. Here's the results.

kellysternum.jpg

This has been a challenge. So many pieces changing to so many different angles. That's part of the reason it's taken me this long to get an update. It was basically cut a small piece, and see if it worked. If it didn't, cut another small piece and repeat the process. The plus side to this thought is that starting with the center line it will make building everything outward a whole lot easier.

I do have to be honest and I'm scared that it's too small. I have to keep reminding myself that it's scaled for Laura who is shorter and smaller than I am and that the mock up did work.

Anyway. Until next time let me know what you think.

After getting some help from a friend on some of the small parts. I managed to make a big head way on the chest.

20171129_131708.jpg

However, I'm now have bad thoughts running through my brain: will it fit, the angle here should be sharper, I can do better, and so on. I'm keeping them under control, and won't do anything rash until I put the top together.

20171129_131715.jpg

I could really use some feed back so let me know what you think.

I think you are underestimating yourself. Your foam work is excellent and I think just about everyone that’s made any type of foam armor will tell you they had to remake certain pieces 2-4 times until they got the right fit and were pleased with it. Sometimes it just boils down to luck and experience - don’t forget making armor is a process, you’re going to learn and get better at it each time. You’re doing great so far from what I can see! The chest piece looks fantastic and if you get it all together and feel like you can do better you can always come back to it. Remember why we do this!!!

I agree w/ DefineLuck that you are underestimating yourself.......keep in mind, we are our own worst critic. Where we (meaning, ones self) see fault....others see as an incredible piece of work. The level of detail you are putting in, is fantastic. Now if it does turn out to be the wrong size.....it happens......it needs to be redone. That also comes w/ experience. Proper sizing...if your mock-up fit....the end result pieces should fit to. You're doing great...just keep building....and we'll keep snickering .......I mean encoring you. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back