Spartan Fred and Kelly Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well the bulk of the power plant has been put together. Gluing it together was a bit interesting as you can see.

I went ahead and filled in the seams on the lower part of the power plant. I figured it would be easier to do that before I put it together. In order to give me some working time as I glued the top and bottom half together, I used some E6000. I tried it on a test piece, and it works. It's holding the pieces together, but I'm just worried how strong the bond is. I'll double check in a couple days.

Here's the final results. I just need to finish a few pieces for the lower part of the power plant, and then I can glue that and the shoulder blade parts together. The only thing that's left for the torso are the thruster packs.

Let me know what you think.

Well the bulk of the power plant has been put together. Gluing it together was a bit interesting as you can see.

I went ahead and filled in the seams on the lower part of the power plant. I figured it would be easier to do that before I put it together. In order to give me some working time as I glued the top and bottom half together, I used some E6000. I tried it on a test piece, and it works. It's holding the pieces together, but I'm just worried how strong the bond is. I'll double check in a couple days.

Here's the final results. I just need to finish a few pieces for the lower part of the power plant, and then I can glue that and the shoulder blade parts together. The only thing that's left for the torso are the thruster packs.

Let me know what you think.

It's looking pretty damn solid so far, I'm interested in seeing how the E6000 holds up as an adhesive for foam.

Work continues, and things are getting close. I've assembled the lower part of the power plant to the back or shoulder blades of the torso armor.

It was a little pesky to do, but it's there. I'm not going to heavily reinforce it until the top part of the power plant is contected. The only thing that is left to actually construct for the torso armor is the thrusters. I'm shooting to have everything put together to do a test fit by next week.

In the mean time I've masked off the helmet for its secondary colors. Trying to figure out how many greys there are has been fun, but I think I've got it figured out.
I should be finished with the painting by the time I'm done with the chest armor; then it's just a matter of making and putting in the padding.

I'll keep trucking along, and I feel positive that I'll hit my goal to have it ready by Dragon*Con.

Took time to attach the chest plate to the back in order to help when I put the power plant in. I wanted to glue the bottom where the armor passes under the rib cage. This would get me a cleaner seam at the front while allowing me to cut a joint in line with the shoulders.

It sounds weird in words, but once I have picture of it, I think it'll be easy to understand.

Only a few things to do and the main bulk of the armor will be ready for cleaning and paint. Let me know what you think.

This is incredibly clean foam work, even down to your numbering and marking of the pieces. This looks so good!

Well, finally back at working on the armor after being away from it for way too long.

Got Ab plate coated and painted. All it needs is a quick shade color then it's done. Along with that I've got two Knee plates ready for some final work. I should be able to get to seam filling and so on this week.

However, in the meantime, I have a bit of a problem. Looking at the reference, I can't tell if the top of the knee has an added plate/detail or not.

As a response, I took a quick picture with an added detail piece on top of the knee. I've went from up from 2mm foam to 3mm foam.

I went ahead and did a test piece using 3mm foam and then beveled the edges. If I went this route, I would have to do a lot of work to intrigrate the two edges. It has me kind of wondering if it's even worth it.

I leave it up to you. Yay or nay on the top plate?

giphy.gif

I'd add a bit of foam putty to fill the few gaps there is and call it good.

Thanks guys.

Think I will not go with the added plate as I can't tell 100% if it's actually there or just a trick of light and image quality and placing.

Also, oh damn I can't believe I haven't seen this thread yet your work is freakin AWESOME...the Fred and Kelly builds have been so good as of late..

It's awesome that you're paying such attention to smaller pieces like the knee guards, it's gonna be one heck of a build once it's done!

Thanks man. It's the wife's first suit of armor and my first full build of armor so I'm pulling out all the stops.

Got padding all sewn and put in the helmet. Here's a test fit.

She's happy with the placing and feeling of it all. The only thing left is to mount the visor.

After that I've got a few electronics to put in there, and need to figure out how to maybe weight the front so it doesn't slide back on her head.

Until next time. Let me know your thoughts.

My first thought is "Hey....don't stick out your tongue. Rude." Looks great. Remember that the visor will add some weight to the front but If it isn't enough, put the battery pack in the chin section. It looks like you have some room there. Or put a few layers of Rondo in the chin area. That will put a lot of weight there.

My first thought is "Hey....don't stick out your tongue. Rude." Looks great. Remember that the visor will add some weight to the front but If it isn't enough, put the battery pack in the chin section. It looks like you have some room there. Or put a few layers of Rondo in the chin area. That will put a lot of weight there.

Thanks, and the rondo is a perfect idea. Might do that anyways and still put the batteries there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back