Props The Answer to all your problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
And just like that the SAW is fully assembled. Now to try a new process involving some PLA and a glue gun in order to hide the seams.
27836409_10100476980239823_1128260818_o.jpg

It's just so amazing how fast a 3D printer spits out a prop..........I need to get one!!!!

no.....no, no,no, no, no, no................PLA through a glue gun will destroy the gun.............PLA and a glue gun........though I don't see how that combo works......:confused:

It's just so amazing how fast a 3D printer spits out a prop..........I need to get one!!!!

Fast isn't always the best term and is subject to a few parameters. I run my printer with slow travel time and .1mm layer resolution for a lot of the smaller bits. The Ancient Arrow that just came off the print bed was 26(?) hours of print time. Convenient, sure, fast, not so much because there's still a considerable amount of finishing work to do.

no.....no, no,no, no, no, no................PLA through a glue gun will destroy the gun.............PLA and a glue gun........though I don't see how that combo works......:confused:
ok I might have read that wrong lol but hey glue guns are pretty cheap...... and maybe worth the sacrifice. I might have to experiment with this. Or maybe I’ll just look into a cheap 3d print pen. Heard of others using these to weld seams.
Dirtdives yes you need one!! And yes you’ll also come to realize it’s not as easy as it looks. TurboCharizard has listed a few hassles but there are many more believe me. And yes the end results are dam spectacular once you get eh hang of things.

Last edited:
I know that there is significant time for each piece.....but overall.....this can be done while one is sleeping......set and forget......the actual construction is done almost by itself...to a point.

Bucs37DK have you heard of Weld On#4? It's relatively cheap and you can melt PLA down and then paint it on to hide seams. It will dry into the print as one solid piece very quickly. Apart from that it is also a great way to glue the prop together.
I may look into this too looks promising. Only thing is the pics you posted duke looked like the process was quite messy lol

Yes SI3RRA 117 It was messy. I'd recommend using a $0.10 paintbrush for school kids because it will ruin them. I only had expensive ones so I just poured the slurry on.

I took a soda can, rinsed it out, cut it in half to make a cup. Poured two tablespoons of Weld on #4 in it with a golf ball sized chunk of PLA from a failed print.

I let it sit in the corner for about 4 hours then mixed up what was left with a tooth pick. Poured on what I needed into my seam (recommend paint brush), wiped off the drips with a paper towel.

There was a lot left in the can and when I came back an hour later the remains in the can solidified as if someone had heated up the can earlier and now it cooled off. Except there was no heat, just the liquid chemical had evaporated. Similar to how Acetone and ABS react, so I've been told.

Last edited:
Man I go away and then there is a ton of cross talk about techniques, brings a tear to your eye ;). Yea I know we are shooting a little with this glue stick idea but hey why not try something new. Always have the standbys. Definitely may try that other technique too Duke!

Man I go away and then there is a ton of cross talk about techniques, brings a tear to your eye ;). Yea I know we are shooting a little with this glue stick idea but hey why not try something new. Always have the standbys. Definitely may try that other technique too Duke!

I mean, if you have a thermocouple for a multimeter and can clock your glue gun at temperatures higher than PLAs activation temperature...

brb

[EDIT] The high temp gun got to 190! This is totally a thing that could work. It's so stupid and I love it.

Last edited:
Sooo here we are. First we printed a 'glue stick' with our PLA.
27907419_10100477281760573_266842974_o.jpg
Then we began to use it to fill some seams. We quickly learned that its not really good for fine seams, it works but seems like overkill. The flow is just a lot.
27846463_10100477281730633_21510163_o.jpg 27907069_10100477281750593_668692256_o.jpg

However, during printing we had a part that was missing from the file base. So we had to do some messing around with its 'symmetrical' model to create the missing part. Since everything wasnt exactly symmetrical the fit wasnt perfect. Resulting in a decent gap. I planned on just stuffing this with Bondo. This new PLA glue gun method worked perfectly instead. While definitely adding more strength/material.
27846433_10100477281685723_1627777982_o.jpg 27907367_10100477281695703_171756647_o.jpg
All in all it seems that for exterior work this glue stick method is great for big gaps/seams but not ideal for fine detail work. Got the first coat of filler primer on to help identify more short comings. More filler/sanding work tomorrow.
27846622_10100477281665763_98930363_o.jpg

So how do we go about getting or creating a gun with a finer nozzle? It will have to be something that can be taken out of a store bought unit and replaced with a new one. It would allow for a more detailed glueing

So how do we go about getting or creating a gun with a finer nozzle? It will have to be something that can be taken out of a store bought unit and replaced with a new one. It would allow for a more detailed glueing
Amazon does have some fine tipped hi temp hot glue guns on there... .... and they’re pretty cheap I may end up donating one to the cause here at some point

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back