Armageddon Wellington '08

Status
Not open for further replies.
helios said:
I'd vote for him. If I could vote. Hmm, better make that "I'd pester my brother untill he agrees to vote for MC". Wish I could go to Wellygedon, but I don't have the means. *Sigh* I hate being 16, with no money.
If you have no money, get a job! Washing dishes may not be glamorous work, but for a first job it pays well plus its easy to get a gig like that. If you save, and spend smartly its pretty easy to get enough together for a con. (Convention... not illegal con just in case anyone was thinking that)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, just came back from the 'cocktail party' evening and got to hang out with the guests.

Had a good chat to Christopher Judge (Really long hair now) and Alexis Cruz (The kid from Stargate and Shark) and it was a great night overall.

Met a guy who's good friends with the WETA guys and he showed me shots on his camera of him IN the warthog..... Grrr... I'll try and hang out with him tomorrow and see what happens :p

Photos later :p

Just got back from the last day of Armageddon, wont post much because I'm having to pay for the 'net in this hotel...

Was good to meet you Arowin, pity it wasn't for long but good to meet you none the less :) Hopefully you hung around this afternoon since they were letting people in the Warthog ;)

First day I think I did four or five hours in armor and today I went all day and did 10 hours... longest I've ever trooped for in one go and my body hates me for it now:lol:
Had a few good talks with various Weta crew, found out some cool info about the Warthog and it's origins...

Now for some images, the first is one of me on the 'Hog's turret and the second is of one of the dash panels...
th_SpartanWarthog.jpg th_WarthogDash01.jpg
The Warthog is so awesome, words can't describe the awesomeness :D I'm also kind of proud of the fact that one of the guys that built it invited me to jump on at the end of the day today :)

BTW Weta didn't have any armor there so I wasn't able to get those reference shots.

Awww, Thats way to cool. You really will have to get all those pictures uploaded soon.

-Doom

I am insanely jealous.... what was it like to sit on the turret? Were the weta guys impressed with your armor? What was it like talking to Chris judge? So many questions!!! Ill be there next year for sure! Did you happen to ask them if they are going to have the hog there next year? (If there thinking that far ahead) or perhaps if there going to take it to Australia?
edit: btw, your armor looks kick ass!

Nope, I only went for the first day - damnit... But I'm sure it'll be there again. I talked to Bill (the organiser) and I may get to be running some stuff next year so I'll try and find out ASAP if the Warthog will be there. Plus my armour should be done by then so that'll be good :)

And it was cool to meet you to Belakor - sorry I had to rush off - had famous people to listen to.

Oh, and Christopher Judge was really funny :) A great speaker - and nothing like you'd think he'd look.

p0rtalman said:
I am insanely jealous.... what was it like to sit on the turret? Were the weta guys impressed with your armor? What was it like talking to Chris judge? So many questions!!! Ill be there next year for sure! Did you happen to ask them if they are going to have the hog there next year? (If there thinking that far ahead) or perhaps if there going to take it to Australia?
edit: btw, your armor looks kick ass!

The turret is so cool, they were packing everything upso they were able to start it up but it was still really cool... just as you'd expect it to be in-game but real and heavy :D All the Weta crew that I talked to were impressed (even Richard Taylor! :D) as were probably 98.5% of the people that I saw, there were a few confused people saying things like "oh look it's the bad guy from Star Wars" or "oh look it's a pilot from Star Wars" and my personal favorite "do you think he's real?" as I walked past someone:lol: but otherwise it was well received :)
What I found really strange was the amount of under 10 year olds that knew I was from Halo and also the amount of younger kids that knew it was Recon armor

Didn't get to talk to Chris Judge (or any of the other celebs) but I did get to see him at the table across from ours at dinner on Sat and as Arowin said, he looks nothing like you'd think he would.

I can't say if they'll take the 'Hog to any other Cons at this stage but I've been told to keep in touch with someone at Weta and he'll let me know when and where it'll be ahead of time :)

The turret is so cool, they were packing everything upso they were able to start it up but it was still really cool... just as you'd expect it to be in-game but real and heavy All the Weta crew that I talked to were impressed (even Richard Taylor! ) as were probably 98.5% of the people that I saw, there were a few confused people saying things like "oh look it's the bad guy from Star Wars" or "oh look it's a pilot from Star Wars" and my personal favorite "do you think he's real?" as I walked past someone but otherwise it was well received
What I found really strange was the amount of under 10 year olds that knew I was from Halo and also the amount of younger kids that knew it was Recon armor

Didn't get to talk to Chris Judge (or any of the other celebs) but I did get to see him at the table across from ours at dinner on Sat and as Arowin said, he looks nothing like you'd think he would.

I can't say if they'll take the 'Hog to any other Cons at this stage but I've been told to keep in touch with someone at Weta and he'll let me know when and where it'll be ahead of time

Richard Taylor was there!!!!! Awesome!
That’s because there the 10 year olds are the ones who make Xbox live really frustrating, and that screen very loudly in the lobby. And the some ones who want a suit of mjolnir for $20.
a question with the dinner, did the guests (actors etc) move around the table or did they stay in one place. And was there free booze or was that extra (I would think that the $150 it costs for the dinner would cover a few beers)

You may be thinking of the cocktail (just drinks) evening. There, the special guests moved around and talked to everyone.
That by itself is worth it :) Plus it's only $60 versus the $150 for the dinner :p

p0rtalman said:
Richard Taylor was there!!!!! Awesome!
That’s because there the 10 year olds are the ones who make Xbox live really frustrating, and that screen very loudly in the lobby. And the some ones who want a suit of mjolnir for $20.
a question with the dinner, did the guests (actors etc) move around the table or did they stay in one place. And was there free booze or was that extra (I would think that the $150 it costs for the dinner would cover a few beers)

Yeah, when he turned up they opened up the Warthog to the public and it was crazy over at their stand for the rest of the day :p He's a cool guy (left handed like I am too :D), I didn't get to talk to him for very long because he was pretty busy but made enough of an impression on him that he remembered who I was and referred to me and my work when talking to some people later in the day :)

It's probably because I don't play online much but I never seem to run in to any of the annoying little ones on Live... just wait until you're in armor and have hundreds of them loaded up on sugar and energy drink running around you :p

From what I saw of the dinner on the Saturday they stayed in one place, not sure how they determined who got to sit where but I think it was a pretty good mix of celebs and regular people... not sure about free booze or anything, I didn't stay long enough to see them leave/pay for anything so I'm not really sure

Arowin said:
You may be thinking of the cocktail (just drinks) evening. There, the special guests moved around and talked to everyone.
That by itself is worth it :) Plus it's only $60 versus the $150 for the dinner :p

It's $150 for the dinner? yikes, does that cover the cost of the food or is that just for the privilege of having dinner with the stars? :eek:

Another Spartan/Warthog photo uploaded
th_P4200042.jpg
"Hmm, what should I shoot first?"

Belakor said:
Yeah, when he turned up they opened up the Warthog to the public and it was crazy over at their stand for the rest of the day :p He's a cool guy (left handed like I am too :D), I didn't get to talk to him for very long because he was pretty busy but made enough of an impression on him that he remembered who I was and referred to me and my work when talking to some people later in the day :)
Ask him for a job :D

It's probably because I don't play online much but I never seem to run in to any of the annoying little ones on Live... just wait until you're in armor and have hundreds of them loaded up on sugar and energy drink running around you :p
tell them you are the real master chief and you can ban there live accounts.....

From what I saw of the dinner on the Saturday they stayed in one place, not sure how they determined who got to sit where but I think it was a pretty good mix of celebs and regular people... not sure about free booze or anything, I didn't stay long enough to see them leave/pay for anything so I'm not really sure
It's $150 for the dinner? yikes, does that cover the cost of the food or is that just for the privilege of having dinner with the stars? :eek:
So you left the dinner early??? Fill me in, I’m a little confused ;)
Last year at Melbourne Armageddon it was $150 to go to the dinner, I’m pretty sure it included food, I’m not sure about drinks. I would have gone, but by the time I found out about it they had sold out for the dinner, but I got the 2nd last gold pass :lol:
I went to the cocktail party last year in Melbourne, it was great! I think it was like $60 or $70 that included nibbles, but you had to pay for drinks :cautious:

p0rtalman said:
Ask him for a job :D

Already working on that ;) Just have to finish my portfolio and then submit it :)

tell them you are the real master chief and you can ban there live accounts.....

I actually had a few people ask if I was the guy from the Halo games :D

So you left the dinner early??? Fill me in, I’m a little confused ;)
Last year at Melbourne Armageddon it was $150 to go to the dinner, I’m pretty sure it included food, I’m not sure about drinks. I would have gone, but by the time I found out about it they had sold out for the dinner, but I got the 2nd last gold pass :lol:
I went to the cocktail party last year in Melbourne, it was great! I think it was like $60 or $70 that included nibbles, but you had to pay for drinks :cautious:

We (the NZ 501st Garrison) had our own dinner at the same time as the official celebrity dinner so we could see what was going on with them but didn't actually have anything to do with each other... there's no way I'd leave a $150 dinner early ;) my dinner was only $19.50 :p
Though the did have some cool guest I wouldn't have gone to this years dinner, I'd rather wait for a year with more guests from shows that I'm really interested in (two of the three Heroes guests weren't there and I don't think the third was at the dinner :( )

Already working on that just have to finish my portfolio and then submit it
Are you serious? :eek:
I actually had a few people ask if I was the guy from the Halo games
Haha! :lol: ... well you WERE dressed like him, if someone asked me that i would say yes...
We (the NZ 501st Garrison) had our own dinner at the same time as the official celebrity dinner so we could see what was going on with them but didn't actually have anything to do with each other... there's no way I'd leave a $150 dinner early my dinner was only $19.50
Though the did have some cool guest I wouldn't have gone to this years dinner, I'd rather wait for a year with more guests from shows that I'm really interested in (two of the three Heroes guests weren't there and I don't think the third was at the dinner )
AH, now I see. I’m going all out this year in Melbourne, even though there’s only one person there I want to see, which is David Hewlett (MacKay from SGA) but he’s my all time favourite Stargate character so I figure that justifies the $600 or so it’s going to cost me to go to everything. Plus I have a few friends I only get to see at cons and they always go all out.
And them im heading your way next year Belokor :D get ready Welly Arma 09!

AH, that’s a good system, they didn’t quite have it that efficient for Melbourne last year (which is kind of weird considering its the same convention organisers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back