Baby's first ODST build

WackyHalo

I got bored and decided I wanted to try cosplay about 3 weeks ago, and in that time became fanatically obsessed with researching techniques and costs, and I finally got started last night. Put about 6 hours of work in so far, and I have one thigh piece ready to glue together, can't wait to keep updating progress. expecting this to be done by like December if I'm lucky.
1000003938.jpg

Got most of the thigh piece done this evening, it doesn't have the back rings yet so it's a little bit wide, and I'm gonna rescale the main pad, I cut it a bit too small and had to force it together so now it's just all weird, will definitely have one thigh done in a day or two
View attachment 351151
Looking back on it I probably should have started on the main chest piece first because of how simple it is instead of going for a thigh piece but it's whateva

It's looking good so far!

Is this your first time doing foam?

It's looking good so far!

Is this your first time doing foam?
Yeah it is, and it definitely showed for a few of the pieces

I decided to throw out the thigh piece because 5 mm foam was a little to thin to reliably hold its shape and I had to force things in a weird looking areas to connect.

I just went to Walmart and got some half inch thick foam exercise mats which I'm gonna use from now on, and keep the foam I have for details.

1000003949.jpg

Here's the main chest piece that I just got done with, this one is using the 1/2" exercise mats.

There's a couple areas where I slipped with the Dremel, so I decided to run it over a few pieces and to scrape the whole piece with a knife a bunch to look like battle damage.

Can't wait to start on the shoulders!

Chest Plate looking good! if you need inspiration I know RoxyRoo and LilTyrant did some amazing builds with foam just off the top of my head. They did really good write ups on cutting/beveling to get the pieces to line up well.

1000003956.jpg

Man this took a hot minute, ignore the garbage I accumulated over 8 hours straight of work.

Looks pretty scuffed in some areas, but I took a few painting classes and other art stuff in school so I'm hoping that I can make up for the funkiness with paint and really making it look like it's been thoroughly weathered and battered because I DO NOT WANT TO MAKE THIS PIECE AGAIN

I chose a shoulder pad from Reach that's simpler but still fitting to ODSTs so I can get a more unique look, and I'm planning on adding a few helmet accessories to complement it.

I'll also probably add some webbing as and bandoliers to cover up some imperfections.

Gonna start on the next shoulder pad tomorrow, then it's off to the vest!

Just remember something crucial, don't stress over perfection because with foam it will give you a mental breakdown lol, I've seen it first hand with a friend of mine. Take your time and ask for help/ browse threads for foam craft when you need help. Other than that you're doing great and I can't wait to see the final product!

Just remember something crucial, don't stress over perfection because with foam it will give you a mental breakdown lol, I've seen it first hand with a friend of mine. Take your time and ask for help/ browse threads for foam craft when you need help. Other than that you're doing great and I can't wait to see the final product!
I took a small break from foaming and yeah I appreciate the shoulder a lot more now.
I do have to fix a few structural compromises, the entire bottom part and inner rectangle thingy is hanging on by a small corner and will fall off really easily I think, but it's gonna be easy enough to fix it with some scrap foam to get some more support to it

I took a small break from foaming and yeah I appreciate the shoulder a lot more now.
I do have to fix a few structural compromises, the entire bottom part and inner rectangle thingy is hanging on by a small corner and will fall off really easily I think, but it's gonna be easy enough to fix it with some scrap foam to get some more support to it
Hot glue is like magic with foam, like I have no clue why it holds together so well but it does.

Looks pretty scuffed in some areas, but I took a few painting classes and other art stuff in school so I'm hoping that I can make up for the funkiness with paint and really making it look like it's been thoroughly weathered and battered because I DO NOT WANT TO MAKE THIS PIECE AGAIN
Will you be filling the seams between the foam pieces with anything? This piece will look great once the gaps are filled and it's painted! I use kwik seal (a multi purpose silicone caulking) to fill the gaps on my foam pieces, other members also use foam clay.

You've done a very nice job on the foam work! Especially on your first go! Keep up the good work

Will you be filling the seams between the foam pieces with anything? This piece will look great once the gaps are filled and it's painted! I use kwik seal (a multi purpose silicone caulking) to fill the gaps on my foam pieces, other members also use foam clay.

You've done a very nice job on the foam work! Especially on your first go! Keep up the good work
Yeah definitely, most of my work process and techniques have come directly from your halo infinite cosplay video and it's what inspired me to start this in the first place!

When I saw your username I giggled like a little girl lol
I appreciate your videos man I would never have been able to start this without them God bless you

MEGA UPDATE TIME BECAUSE I'VE BEEN WORKING ON THIS FOR A FEW WEEKS!

Spent a while on the helmet, took about a week to print all the pieces, and took about 1 kg of PLA Pro filament for the whole helmet.
1000003988.jpg

^front piece
1000004010.jpg

^middle portion+front portions
1000004009.jpg

^middle portion and back portions
I'm gonna take some acetone and reglue the back portions because right now there's a very noticeable 5mm gap that I can't sand down without exposing the infill, but after some trimming or maybe a small reprint of the very teeny tiny top part it should be an easy enough print.

The last kilogram went towards a grenade, a shoulder piece, and two helmet accessories, and I have 2kg of filament set to arrive this Friday for more printing accessories.
1000004020.jpg

^fully assembled helmet with UA visor thing, and a CNM Module, just taped onto the helmet so I can sand the 2 attachments down later
1000004021.jpg

^Halo reach Recon shoulder piece because I think having 2 different shoulder pads will look better

Also sad news, my shoulder piece fell apart because it was hanging on by a small corner in certain areas, probably gonna remake it using what I learned from the last time.

First thing to get out of the way now that I'm done playing with my printer is to get the foam all built up, filled in with Kwik seal and roughed up for battle damage, then it's off with some spot putty and a whole lot of elbow grease.

Oh yeah then spray painting but that's a ways out yet.

Will keep y'all updated as I move along!

PS if you have any cura settings to cut down on how much filament these prints take it would be greatly appreciated :)

Yeah definitely, most of my work process and techniques have come directly from your halo infinite cosplay video and it's what inspired me to start this in the first place!

When I saw your username I giggled like a little girl lol
I appreciate your videos man I would never have been able to start this without them God bless you
Reading things like this make me so happy! I'm glad I could be of inspiration to you.

Also sad news, my shoulder piece fell apart because it was hanging on by a small corner in certain areas, probably gonna remake it using what I learned from the last time.
Reinforcing the seams with hot glue on the inside of the armour piece helps prevent this. On my armour there are some areas where there is not much overlap between the foam pieces, so the contact cement doesn't have a lot of surface area to grab. The extra hot glue really helps hold those areas together.

MEGA UPDATE TIME BECAUSE I'VE BEEN WORKING ON THIS FOR A FEW WEEKS!

Spent a while on the helmet, took about a week to print all the pieces, and took about 1 kg of PLA Pro filament for the whole helmet.
View attachment 352397
^front piece
View attachment 352398
^middle portion+front portions
View attachment 352399
^middle portion and back portions
I'm gonna take some acetone and reglue the back portions because right now there's a very noticeable 5mm gap that I can't sand down without exposing the infill, but after some trimming or maybe a small reprint of the very teeny tiny top part it should be an easy enough print.

The last kilogram went towards a grenade, a shoulder piece, and two helmet accessories, and I have 2kg of filament set to arrive this Friday for more printing accessories.
View attachment 352400
^fully assembled helmet with UA visor thing, and a CNM Module, just taped onto the helmet so I can sand the 2 attachments down later
View attachment 352401
^Halo reach Recon shoulder piece because I think having 2 different shoulder pads will look better

First thing to get out of the way now that I'm done playing with my printer is to get the foam all built up, filled in with Kwik seal and roughed up for battle damage, then it's off with some spot putty and a whole lot of elbow grease.

Oh yeah then spray painting but that's a ways out yet.

Will keep y'all updated as I move along!

PS if you have any cura settings to cut down on how much filament these prints take it would be greatly appreciated :)
I could have missed it, but where did you get the files for your reach shoulder pieces?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back