Group Project - Halo 3 Standoff Recreation

UPDATE -

I have purchased some of the finished items, like tripod, magnets and chest rigs and saved ~10% on Amazon's Black Friday. Spent $180

I have sent the screen shot references to Pipninja for the digital assets and also to NickYelsa for the switch model with deadlines in place.

SubXzeroXhero is putting together a shopping list and researching how to rubber cast. TBD (to confirm we can get the materials), but we are looking at casting party at his house December 9th. Please let us know here if you are interested. We'll probably cap it at 6 people.

Priority is now having me print the ODST chest to create a master for molding.

Printing the other items will be underway soon as well. Luka and PapaHawk printing the MG and JSLund printing the two helmets.
I'm interested in a build party

UPDATE -

I have purchased some of the finished items, like tripod, magnets and chest rigs and saved ~10% on Amazon's Black Friday. Spent $180

I have sent the screen shot references to Pipninja for the digital assets and also to NickYelsa for the switch model with deadlines in place.

SubXzeroXhero is putting together a shopping list and researching how to rubber cast. TBD (to confirm we can get the materials), but we are looking at casting party at his house December 16th. Please let us know here if you are interested. We'll probably cap it at 6 people.

Priority is now having me print the ODST chest to create a master for molding.

Printing the other items will be underway soon as well. Luka and PapaHawk printing the MG and JSLund printing the two helmets.
I'm nearby to Sub so I can come to help out

UPDATE:

We are still on for casting party this Sunday 12/17 in Bremerton, WA - DM SubXzeroXhero for more information. This is not to get a cast, just to hang out and help Sub and I make the two casted chest pieces.

M247 - Lukavago has successfully printed the M247 at 80% scale clocking in at 4ft long. 3.2kg of plastic in 80 hours on his new Bambu printer. It came out very nice and I will be smoothing and assembling soon.
Gun1.jpgGun2.jpg

Chest - Sub and I opted to change the ODST chest to an H3 Marine chest. Not as recognizable, but better continuity. I have printed it, but it will need a lot of repair. I don't have as nice of a printer as Luka. This is what we will be molding and casting.
Chest1.jpg

Helmets - pipninja very kindly offered two resin casted Reach Marine helmets. But, I turned it down. ArcSol and I both have Reach Marine helmets in our cosplay and I thought four was just too many. We opted to continue with JSLund printing the two H3 Helmets as planned. This will also help with continuity. We'll be using MoeSizzlac files for both the helmets and chest piece.
helmet1.png

Switch - Yelsanick0117 has made some great progress modeling our switch. Everything seems to be there. Now he is just modeling the interior to allow us to light the switch up.
Switch2.pngSwitch1.png

Last edited:
For anyone curious, the M247 was printed in ~80 hours over the course of a week, using just over 3 kg of plastic. I had a total of two failures, both due to bed adhesion issues. My printer is a Bambu P1S, and I used Elegoo Grey PLA, printed at 0.2mm layer height with a 0.4mm nozzle, and my temps are set at 220/55, with tree supports and brims as needed. All parts where printed with a 15% infill and 4 layer walls and a Cubic infill pattern.
Files where scaled down to 80%, with the exception of pins, with those being scaled down to 78.4 (2% smaller than the rest of the build based on modeler recommendations). When placing parts onto the build plate, focus was on clean prints over efficient plastic use or efficient print times. What this means is that I could have used less plastic, or printed faster, but I chose the options that would give the least amount of sanding and finishing work.

Print 1 - 652.81g over 17h30m
Print 2 - 507.00g over 12h50m
Print 3 - 366.22g over 9h39m
Print 4 - 1411.26g over 37h13m
Print 5 - 104.24g over 2h44m

Total - 3041.53g over 79h56m

Group Question:

pipninja is working on creating the digital assets for the bunker switch set we're making. We'd like some input on what you think this text is.

When pulling the switch a map comes up that says Sector View and it has a bunch of tiny text. The only one I can make out is the very top right says Central Hub. Serious and funny answers welcome.

651f8603-ec89-4629-8b1f-addd00797499.png

05421d3b-ee6d-4e8f-b365-cdc7b732bbcf.png
1702588427609.png
Pacific Staff

c07cce4a-e6b5-482d-8923-89264b6ab786.png
1702588446744.png
$ contributors

1a28f810-e498-43c9-ac4a-7161577164b9.png
1702589405088.png
Time/Asset Contributors - more to come

2da587b0-844b-40d6-b66d-511bb6146567.png
1702589700309.png
1702593016826.png

Funny Text

5aa9bd59-2721-40bd-96ab-4c6a91ae6c67.png
1702590091864.png
405th Mantle

Last edited:
Luka Logistics
L1 - Printers and Manufacturing
L2 - Printer Food Storage (45% capacity)
L3 - Human Empathy Storage (WARNING: STOCK DANGEROUSLY LOW)
L4 - Human Caffeine Storage 1 (100% capacity)
L5 - Human Caffeine Storage 2 (62% capacity)
L6 - Luka's Terrible Ideas Division (Must fail psych eval for entry)
L7 - Mines of Sanding (4 'interns' at present, need more crackers)
L404 - Lukavago, Error: Spartan not found.

Last edited:
Pipninja Armory
P1 - Smithy and Foamworks
P2 - Testing Site (Currently being repaired)
P3 - High Altitude Storage
P4 - 3D Modelling Lab
P5 - Commission Backlog (Heavy delays expected)
P6 - Handler Training Facility
P7 - Gungnir Museum (Free entry with Gungnir armor)
P770 - Pipninja, stealth approach impossible due to superior viewing platform

What do y'all think? Who should I do next? I think Duke is a good one.

RCO Duke
D1 - Cute Dog Office
D2 - Official 405th Office (Clearance required for access)
D3 - Museum of Finished Cosplays
D4 - 405th Storage (117% full, not including remote sites)
D5 - Stockpile of Empathy and Kindness (limitless)
D6 - String Board of Events and Contacts (it's perfectly organized, we swear)
D7 - Personal Emergency Shelter (AKA, the 'what did Luka do this time?' room)
B128 - PerniciousDuke, expect warm hugs, frank kindness, and genuine friendship

Last edited:
RCO Duke
D1 - Cute Dog Office
D2 - Official 405th Office (Clearance required for access)
D3 - Museum of Finished Cosplays
D4 - 405th Storage (107% full, not including remote sites)
D5 - Stockpile of Empathy and Kindness (limitless)
D6 - String Board of Events and Contacts (it's perfectly organized, we swear)
D7 - Personal Emergency Shelter (AKA, the 'what did Luka do this time?' room)
B128 - PerniciousDuke, expect warm hugs, frank kindness, and genuine friendship
Ha! That was very kind. Thank you Luka.

I do like this and I like the idea PapaHawk gave on the discord to have the names be the booth contributors. I think with these two ideas we can work something up.

RMO Sub
S1 - Tier 3 Research Lab
S2 - Cosplay Lab (With divisions for Halo, Star Wars, Warhammer, and others)
S3 - 3D Printer Torture Chamber
S4 - Lateral Atmospheric Void Creation with Heating Elements
S5 - LSI Ltd Satellite Office (home of the SubZero Terrible Ideas division)
S6 - Experimental Foam Farm (Now hiring! Must have next of kin)
S7 - Temple dedicated to the VK78 Commando
S024 - SubXzeroXhero, helpful to extremes, will instill a powerful drive to buy new tools.

Last edited:
20231215_101644.jpg

Well there's our master. He's not perfect, but he's come a ways since his creation.

PLA print one piece on Ender 5+
Bondo to fix errors, sanded to 120
3M Spot Putty to smooth, sanded to 320
Acrylic Clear Coat x3
Wetsanded to 800 grit

Ready for the casting party Sunday at SubXzeroXhero

Last edited:
speaking of casting party, If anyone plans on being here for it please let me know that way I can send you the address, we would also like to know that way we can provide snacks.

Wow! Those look incredible pipninja

Some notes, because I'm a nitpicker and did more than my fair share of copy editing...

A couple minor typos ~

The first graphic:
•Management* in the second line
•Access* in the third
•Administrators* in the fifth

The Sector View final graphic:
•Terrible* in the S5 row of Sub's... blurb?
•Capitalize 'home,' also in row S5 - currently inconsistent with how you capitalized all of the other bracketed text
•Capitalize 'ideas' - since Terrible Ideas is the name of the division

In the "Armor" section of our motto:
•Cut the word 'every' - seems like a leftover from a rewording
•Costumes* in the same section

All very minor - Only ones I could find.

Would it be too weird to swap the placement of Honor and Unity so it matches the order of our motto? You're the one doing it - maybe you already tried and it didn't work?

Also centering the words (Honor, Armor, Unity) with the text inside the box - as is it almost looks like they were supposed to be snapped to the bottom of the text but they aren't, and it seems that you have enough space there to just center everything? (X axis, if that makes sense...) I get it looks like you were trying to use that corner wedge to align the 'Honor, Armor, Unity' bit, but I don't think that is actually necessary - Just move it to the right a smidge and center everything to the height of the whole text box.

Really these look phenomenal, Pip - Amazing job.

Last edited:
Wow! Those look incredible pipninja

Some notes, because I'm a nitpicker and did more than my fair share of copy editing...

A couple minor typos ~

The first graphic:
•Management* in the second line
•Access* in the third
•Administrators* in the fifth

The Sector View final graphic:
•Terrible* in the S5 row of Sub's... blurb?
•Capitalize 'home,' also in row S5 - currently inconsistent with how you capitalized all of the other bracketed text
•Capitalize 'ideas' - since Terrible Ideas is the name of the division

In the "Armor" section of our motto:
•Cut the word 'every' - seems like a leftover from a rewording
•Costumes* in the same section

All very minor - Only ones I could find.

Would it be too weird to swap the placement of Honor and Unity so it matches the order of our motto? You're the one doing it - maybe you already tried and it didn't work?

Also centering the words (Honor, Armor, Unity) with the text inside the box - as is it almost looks like they were supposed to be snapped to the bottom of the text but they aren't, and it seems that you have enough space there to just center everything? (X axis, if that makes sense...) I get it looks like you were trying to use that corner wedge to align the 'Honor, Armor, Unity' bit, but I don't think that is actually necessary - Just move it to the right a smidge and center everything to the height of the whole text box.

Really these look phenomenal, Pip - Amazing job.
Thanks for the corrections, I definitely fat fingered a lot of those typos

Thanks for the corrections, I definitely fat fingered a lot of those typos
You must have forgot that I sent you a google doc so you could copy and paste. :p We'll revisit it before we print because there were a couple other changes as well since I was updating the google doc and not my original post.

Thanks for the catches ArcSol ! The Unity Armor Honor is as it appears in our mantle, so we will keep the wording and placement. But we will for sure take a closer look at the text before printing.

Really great job pipninja !

You must have forgot that I sent you a google doc so you could copy and paste. :p We'll revisit it before we print because there were a couple other changes as well since I was updating the google doc and not my original post.

Thanks for the catches ArcSol ! The Unity Armor Honor is as it appears in our mantle, so we will keep the wording and placement. But we will for sure take a closer look at the text before printing.

Really great job pipninja !
I was working on my computer while offline, so I could only bring it up on my phone

Update -

So you saw Pip's post above. Outstanding progress on the graphics and much higher quality than I imagined. Looks like we had the right guy for the job!

Last weekend SubXzeroXhero and I got together to mold and cast the Marine chest. It was a lot of work, but it went well and we learned a lot.

With our master prop showed earlier we first started to create the mold.

1st - built up a clay base around the master

20231216_155825.jpg

2nd - using Rebound 25 silicon brush on mold we used about 22oz in four layers creating our mold.

20231216_203353.jpg20231216_223931.jpg
At this point we were at 9 hours and called it a night for the silicone to cure fully before moving on.

The next day we were met by BansheeRose and JSLund .

1st - we layered two coats of fiberglass cloth and resin to create a hard shell around the silicon.

2nd - we did some tests of different casts and colors. We had black and green pigment and silver and green metallic powder. We settled on brushing in the green metalic powder with 2 drops of green and one drop of black pigment.

20231217_144533.jpg

3rd - we poured in our cast with KX Flex 60 using 24oz in 3 layers. The second layer included a nylon H with fiberglass cloth layed overtop to give strength and attachment point embedded in the cast.

20231217_151319.jpg20231217_161930.jpg

4th - we said goodbye to our friends and worked on the second cast. Feeling more confident we worked a lot faster. Our second pull did not come out so well. Half the metallic powder stayed in the mold resulting in a very uneven surface that even 4 days later is still tacky.

20231218_193245.jpg

We think two possible causes. One, we worked too fast, not allowing the full time for each layer to partially cure. Two, everything we measured all weekend was by weight 1:1, but the cast should have been by volume 1:1 or by weight 100:94. Meaning we definitely didn't have the proper ratios which would lead to improper curing. We'll figure out a way to make it work, too expensive not to.

Last edited:
I'm very happy to have been able to be a part of this process! I learned a lot and it was nice getting to work with materials I am not familiar with so I am less intimidated by them in the future.

received_1044083956744083.jpegreceived_1087520909348457.jpegreceived_1509776103176523.jpeg20240102_094315.jpg

JSLund has completed the helmets!

He can provide more details. But each helmet was printed in one piece 72 hours each using PLA. The files were made by MoeSizzlac and I thought the scaling seemed right so our first print was 100%...but it ended up being child size, so we printed two more at 112% and they seem really good.

He dropped them off to me today and I've decided I'm going to try to have one ready for Fan Expo in 10 days. Since not a lot of people do my 3d print finishing method I thought I would catalog the process here.

After the print is cleaned off, I head straight to applying 3M Spot Putty. Pictured below is the entire helmet covered in 2/3 of a tube. It took me about 30 minutes to apply with my fingers. Decent amount of glove changes, probably 6 gloves.

I'll let it fully cure overnight and I will sand it tomorrow.

20240102_164853.jpg

This thread is more than 5 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back