Props Halo weapon props

Status
Not open for further replies.
The next time? If there is a next time.....can I have this one? It's AMAZING!!!! Love the details.....even w/ the not so straight hot knife cut lines......:D
You just had to bring those up didn't you? :cautious:
Unfortunately my son has dibs on this one.
I do plan on making another one to go along with my ODST magnum and SMG. Plan on making a foam arsenal.
... that reminds me... should look for some PVC pipe so I can attempt a sniper rifle.

Taking a break from my ODST suit to work on my son's assault rifle.
20180331_134648.jpg

Instead of Mod Podge or Plasti Dip, I am trying another product to seal my foam. I'm using stuff called Flexi Paint. It's a latex free, rubber like paint. The product has a consistency and smell like PVA glue. It is recommended to use a 5:1 ratio of FlexiPaint and water to thin it out a little. In the pic above I have put on the first coat. It goes on white and drys clear.
The clip is on a scrap piece of foam with two coats applied.

, I am trying another product to seal my foam. I'm using stuff called Flexi Paint. It's a latex free, rubber like paint. .
I looked the stuff up and the only Canadian retailer I could find had it at $21/500g bottle. Would you say it's worth the price in comparison to PlastiDip/FlexiDip or other spray ons?

I looked the stuff up and the only Canadian retailer I could find had it at $21/500g bottle. Would you say it's worth the price in comparison to PlastiDip/FlexiDip or other spray ons?
A can of FlexiDip is about 312g. So at 500g you are paying for more.
I'm not sure the stuff can be used in a spray gun for application. Doesn't matter since I don't have one. Heh. But brushing by hand does make the process longer and can leave brush strokes. Good thing is while it's drying most of the brush strokes do go away. You have to allot a good amount of time for it to dry. If you don't, applying the next coat will be messy and go on unevenly. I think I let dry for a minimum of an hour.
When dry the the FlexiPaint is a bit glossy and has a tacky feel to it. I don't mind the tacky considering I'll be painting over it.
I can't comment yet on how well paint goes on since I haven't gotten to that point yet. Hoping to do that today.
I haven't made a real decision yet on if this product is as good as PlastiDip/FlexiDip.

Started to paint the base colour for the rifle. First I did the clip as a test piece. It took 3 coats of the gun metal paint that I have thanks to Dirtdives.
20180401_221301.jpg
20180401_221342.jpg
This is how it looks after two coats of paint.
When it comes to the weathering I am going to try using liquid mask to cover some of the gunmetal and then paint over it. Then peel it off after the next layer of colour is done.
20180401_204554.jpg

When it comes to the weathering I am going to try using liquid mask to cover some of the gunmetal and then paint over it. Then peel it off after the next layer of colour is done.
Real liquid mask or are you going mustard method? I vote for mustard method. Or toothpaste technique.

Real liquid mask or are you going mustard method? I vote for mustard method. Or toothpaste technique.
Liquid mask. Well that is what I hope to do. Unless the label on the bottle is all lies and I was sent Liquid Paper instead. Lol.
Seriously though, that is the method of madness I have chosen. I had tested it on some scrap earlier to see how it looks applying and when dry.

Alrighty. Tried using the Liquid Mask for the first time. One thing that I have learned... Next time I use it put it on thicker. After I painted the over the mask it was very difficult to find and peel off. I applied it relatively thin in some areas and it took me a while to locate and rub/peel off. Next step is some blackwash and some drybrush and it's done. 20180403_221957.jpg 20180403_221033.jpg 20180403_221044.jpg 20180403_222241.jpg

So what would it take to get a Silenced SMG from you, once i finish my ODST armor im probably going to need one of these to go along with it.

I would love to try, do you have the PDFs? I’m typically not good with crafts but again I’d love to try
Glad to hear it. And you certainly should take a shot at it. Your first one might not be great but the more you do the better you get. Also there are many PDFs I don't have any but they shouldn't be hard to find. There are PDF files in the armory and Andrew DFT has some good tutorials as well as templates, those are always beginner friendly and a good place to start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back