Hell Jumper Foam Armor (Spartan Buck)

Status
Not open for further replies.
contact cements is very precision work. I've used it before but not in this way so i know that any mistake is a pain to correct.

Lol I did realize they are close in color to the Craft foam, But I will definitely still be painting it. I'm not sure which color scheme to go with, because in different lighting he appears as tan chrome and in others he appears as a light silver almost light blue silver color.

I looked up pictures and I see what you mean with the different colour's, but from what I can see the tan chrome is seen in some concept pictures or in photos on Sanghelios. I'd say go with the more silver colour with darker grey for the details, it appears to be the more constant colour and I personally think it looks better.

I looked up pictures and I see what you mean with the different colour's, but from what I can see the tan chrome is seen in some concept pictures or in photos on Sanghelios. I'd say go with the more silver colour with darker grey for the details, it appears to be the more constant colour and I personally think it looks better.

Yeah playing the game last night I noticed that as well, It looks like the Tan is more in the concept art than anything else, would look cool though for desert warfare lol, But the silver is probably what I'm going to end up going with to be more game accurate.

Okay so first off I had another member ask me how I worked with the templates given in the helljumper file in the achieves, so just want to make it a little bit more clear. It pretty much goes for any file if you are uncertain about the templates provided, you just have to either cut or join/disjoin faces in the Pepakura designer to get the exact templates you'd like, to get the curvature in areas that you desire.

photo 1 (1).JPGphoto 2 (1).JPG

For example on this back thruster area, instead of only having 5 templates I cut certain areas to make 9 templates to make it easier to work with to get those desired folds and curves. I mean honestly you could do the same with inseam beveled cuts on each templates I just personally find this easier for me, and any seam will be covered up later with either craft foam or PVA glue and wont show any gaps in the seams.
Afterwards I like to draw my templates that I will later use for craft foam, this ensures that it will fit on to the pieces exactly where I would like them to.

photo 5.JPG

After I draw those I trace out all my templates and get to work, eventually I end up with something like this.
photo 1.JPGphoto 2.JPGphoto 3.JPGphoto.JPG

I was pretty satisfied with these results and I was able to achieve the folds and curves I wanted, and I have enough leg room to work with to layer on my craft foam. Hope this was able to help anyone who was confused by it before. Sometimes it doesn't always work out for me though so the same may happen to others, but don't be discouraged just head back to the drawing board and keep at it. It took me 3 tries before I even tried getting this piece going.

Also started working on that abdominal piece need to assemble tonight.
photo 4.JPG

Hopefully I'll have those and the thrusters done tonight and will have another update for you guys tomorrow.

Hey Mesh I see what you mean I definitely pick up on the dark notes of grey and silver almost some areas are gun metal, thanks bro! I think I will be using this pic as a color and painting reference from here on out.

H5G_Render_Buck-FullBody.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Dude your initial build looks great! In jest, I also curse you at the same time! No one that I had seen had done this armor yet and I was hoping to be the first! :p This will be my first build and I will definitely post here. But awesome work so far man! I only hope mine looks that good! I went as far as to purchase a Micro3D printer in order to cheat and print out some of the smaller parts.

Oh and btw, if you are interested, I looked at the foam build and while basic, it leaves out a ton of details. I took the original models from the archive and cleaned them up as if I was going to build them from paper. That was my original plan, but after seeing foam builds I'm going to go foam instead. Using the cleaned up models provides placement of the details and sunk in parts right on the cutouts.

I haven't fully laid them out in Pepakura, but I have the mqo files (metasequoia) that can be opened right in Pepakura designer, then you can dismantle and lay it out as you want.

Either way, look forward to seeing your build and working my own! :D

Dude your initial build looks great! In jest, I also curse you at the same time! No one that I had seen had done this armor yet and I was hoping to be the first! :p This will be my first build and I will definitely post here. But awesome work so far man! I only hope mine looks that good! I went as far as to purchase a Micro3D printer in order to cheat and print out some of the smaller parts.

Oh and btw, if you are interested, I looked at the foam build and while basic, it leaves out a ton of details. I took the original models from the archive and cleaned them up as if I was going to build them from paper. That was my original plan, but after seeing foam builds I'm going to go foam instead. Using the cleaned up models provides placement of the details and sunk in parts right on the cutouts.

I haven't fully laid them out in Pepakura, but I have the mqo files (metasequoia) that can be opened right in Pepakura designer, then you can dismantle and lay it out as you want.

Either way, look forward to seeing your build and working my own! :D

Thanks Bro!!! And yeah I was wondering why no one had taken a crack at this armor especially with the amount of ODST enthusiasts like myself, I mean come on its a ODST meets Spartan haha how could anyone resist. But alas that model is very difficult to work with though. That's why I just broke it down into smaller pieces it gets the curves I want and the layers of craft foam help immensely, I started seeing a lot of people start layering on an extra amount of craft foam, and that's where I got the idea that it might work for this.

But yeah would love to see any progress shots of your stuff bro, feel free to post here as much as you want! ;)

One of my friends has a kickass Buck suit, I can show you if you want :p

But enough taking away from your thunder, I love the way you've done this, I tried to make Buck and I looked at the templates and thought nah xD

One of my friends has a kickass Buck suit, I can show you if you want :p

But enough taking away from your thunder, I love the way you've done this, I tried to make Buck and I looked at the templates and thought nah xD

LMAO yeah I think a few people had the same reaction, But by all means please steal my thunder! would love to see your buddies armor. I was trying to look up online if anyone has done it and can't seem to find any.

So its a small update I still need to work on a lot of minor details like the actual jets that sit at the bottom and also need to work out these little hinges that sit everywhere it looks like he has 2 on the front and 4 in the back Should be easy just thinking of making them out of wood and foam.

photo 1.JPGphoto 2.JPGphoto 3.JPGphoto 4.JPG

Going to start working on the center back today and hopefully have that all put together so I can connect everything. Should be interesting to see if it fits still cant quite tell if it to small or just right. We'll find out by this weekend.

I'm still working on cleaning up the chest, but have completed cleaning up and sizing the forearm piece. The screenshot is a cleanup of the model from the archive, taking away duplicate faces and so on so pepakura won't complain.
Armor Cleanup.jpg

vivalablake89, I'm very very very impressed by your foamwork. You make it so detailed and clean.
Gralt - I will love you and praise you forever. I was secretly SO HOPING for a Helljumper chest piece for Pepakura and what you're doing - it looks beyond beautiful.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm still working on cleaning up the chest, but have completed cleaning up and sizing the forearm piece. The screenshot is a cleanup of the model from the archive, taking away duplicate faces and so on so pepakura won't complain.
View attachment 33702

WOW! Just WOW that is amazing bro, so clean and beautiful! wish I had this to begin with lol, absolutely amazing though cant wait to see you finish the rest.

vivalablake89, I'm very very very impressed by your foamwork. You make it so detailed and clean.
Gralt - I will love you and praise you forever. I was secretly SO HOPING for a Helljumper chest piece for Pepakura and what you're doing - it looks beyond beautiful.

Wow thank you so much! I was following your Palmer build for awhile, speaking of so detailed and clean and that battle damage freakin amazing!!! Anyways this comment made my day :D, Thanks Spartan!

So lately I've been feeling under the weather and haven't been able to accomplish as much as I would like, but last night I made a good amount of progress. I was able to start the center piece in the back for the Thrusters/ boosters, and get some necessary details done before attaching the sides on. Still a lot more, and I mean a lot More details still need to be thrown on there. This is more or less just the bare minimum so I can get a glimpse of things to come. I also need to finish up the vents and actual jets on those thrusters and still need to make templates for the very small and minor details. But at least I feel like it is coming together now.
photo 1 (1).JPGphoto 2 (2).JPGphoto 3 (2).JPG

Still need to create a template for the top center section that goes behind the neck and layer some more foam but I think I might be able to get my first test fit in by the end of the weekend.

It looks like some predatory bird. Very cool looking. Your suit is going to be killer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back