RobotChicken's Halo 3 Mk VI Master Chief, Ultra Detail, First Build WIP (many pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: RobotChicken's Halo 3 Mk VI Master Chief, Ultra Detail, First Build WIP (many pic

Any update on that beautiful helmet? :)

The sizing is turning out to be quite the challenge. Scaling it the same as the arm parts resulted in a helmet that's very much too small. I need to build another tester but that's all been on hold the last two weeks while working on my second YouTube video...

Re: RobotChicken's Halo 3 Mk VI Master Chief, Ultra Detail, First Build WIP (many pic

Last edited by a moderator:

Great video. And it was a great idea going with the bulletin board paper instead of painting it, all the cardboard dimples and bumps would have been visible. Does that LED puck light pulse or is it just an on/off option? Will you incorporate the noise as well?

I guess I'm just curious as to how detailed you plan to go with it. I'm a pretty good Whovian too.

Great video. And it was a great idea going with the bulletin board paper instead of painting it, all the cardboard dimples and bumps would have been visible. Does that LED puck light pulse or is it just an on/off option? Will you incorporate the noise as well?

I guess I'm just curious as to how detailed you plan to go with it. I'm a pretty good Whovian too.

You can still see a lot of the cardboard irregularities through the paper but we didn't want the mess of paint, having delays with drying time, or having blue paint bits everywhere later as it flakes off the cardboard. With only 4 days to build it, everything was how quick and easy can we do it rather than how accurate and detailed can we do it. The light is just on/off and there aren't plans to add a sound module. The puck lights came in a 3-pack, so I plan to stick one on the ceiling for lighting the interior. Even with its flaws, late-night mistakes, and missing raised detailing it looks amazing to the kid and that's all that really matters. It was my wife's project that I helped out with to meet the deadline so I'm personally finished with it now and any further detailing will be done by her and the kid. Thick cardboard strips are already cut for the side's centers, seen at the video's end, and she has plans to finish the interior with a control panel.

I really don't see flaws, I think it looks great and you guys did a great job. And yes, you son loving it is all that really matters.

Alrighty, I've been working through helmet sizing failures to dial in a good scale before building the "real" prototype, in hopes the prototype can be used for the final costume rather than having to pep it twice. Since this is only the size tester model it doesn't really matter much if it warps a little or some of the flaps are slightly off, and since the kid has been bugging to do some pep on the costume I let him assemble the first tester model.

Helmet3.jpg

Alas, the first pep ended up being much too small so we built another one, this time measuring for the bottom opening to be sure a head would fit through. Well, that one ended up being quite the "Sarge" bobble-head.

Helmet4.jpg

So parts for a third tester are cutting out right now on the Cameo. This time it's been scaled for a proper helmet size (hopefully) and a variant of the model is going to be made as a 2-piece helmet. Using the 12"x12" cardstock for the tester models is great because I can make the parts much larger resulting in fewer parts and a quicker build.

Hey there RobotChicken! If you still need that line drawing, I have one here for you. It's been on one of my flash drives for quite some time, and completely forgot about it until today. xD

MA5C Assault Rifle.png

Thanks - that area of the assault rifle is already modeled and I've got a number of close-up screen shots now to reference when modeling the rest of it. At the moment though I'm focusing on the helmet so we can get the next batch of models added to the archive.

Well, "Doc/O'Malley" ended up being too small, and there's only a 0.2 difference in scale between them. I didn't even bother finishing up the rest of the flaps before cutting out parts for the next tester scaled halfway between the previous two.

Helmet5.jpg

Nothing like the bracket system on finding just the right size, so it's a good thing you have a tester to minimize the paper usage.

Keep up the great work, and keep that assistant busy.

Nothing like the bracket system on finding just the right size, so it's a good thing you have a tester to minimize the paper usage.

Keep up the great work, and keep that assistant busy.

Yep, once the upper and lower limits have been found then it's just a matter of narrowing in the scale with divide-and-conquer. The tester I'm pepping now looks like it might work, but if not then it's going to be really close and gives an even smaller window to the exact scale I'm looking for. The tester model combined with the super-large parts possible using 12"x12" cardstock enables me to get a helmet pepped in about 2 hours (but unfortunately that 2 hours gets split up over 2-3 days due to working a full-time job and being a good dad). The kid's already burnt out and doesn't pep anymore. :lol

Hello, i've been trying to do a Halo 4 master chief helmet and i was following your tutorial on Youtube for Silhouette Cameo Pepakura Cutting Tutorial. When I tried to export the Bitmap file and put pixel per inch, I couldn't put 300 pixels per inch, instead it gave me an error message saying: Specify 1 - 4096 pixel for image size. I am using pepakura designer version 3.1.7 and Silhouette Cameo version 3.2, has this happened to you and if so what do i do?

Hello, i've been trying to do a Halo 4 master chief helmet and i was following your tutorial on Youtube for Silhouette Cameo Pepakura Cutting Tutorial. When I tried to export the Bitmap file and put pixel per inch, I couldn't put 300 pixels per inch, instead it gave me an error message saying: Specify 1 - 4096 pixel for image size. I am using pepakura designer version 3.1.7 and Silhouette Cameo version 3.2, has this happened to you and if so what do i do?

Hi, thanks for watching the video. I have not had any issues with exporting bitmaps from Pepakura. I am using version 3.1.4 of Pepakura Designer. The newer versions just add high-resolution support which isn't needed for what we're doing, and a bug in their installer code was blocking my ability to install the last time I tried. It sounds to me that entering 300 pix/inch Resolution is resulting in an output image size that exceeds their (arbitrary) upper limit of 4096. (The higher the export resolution, the higher the image/file size.) You can set the larger value of Width or Height to the 4096 limit for exporting - just make sure you export both bitmaps at the same resolution. Having a lower Resolution simply means the Edge IDs might not print as clearly as with a higher resolution, but that really shouldn't impact your ability to assemble the parts. Keep in mind too that Edge IDs are optional and you don't need to use them for just cutting out the parts on a Cameo. The process is a lot more streamlined when omitting the Edge ID and highlighting steps. I always just score and cut. For issues with Pepakura I communicate with Yotsuya at Tamasoft technical support. Hope that helps.

Thank you so much for the fast reply! This helps alot, also the tutorial is very helpful.

Thank you so much for the fast reply! This helps alot, also the tutorial is very helpful.

Welcome to the 405th! You'll find lots of other tutorials and tips in the forum threads here.

Yep, once the upper and lower limits have been found then it's just a matter of narrowing in the scale with divide-and-conquer. The tester I'm pepping now looks like it might work, but if not then it's going to be really close and gives an even smaller window to the exact scale I'm looking for. The tester model combined with the super-large parts possible using 12"x12" cardstock enables me to get a helmet pepped in about 2 hours (but unfortunately that 2 hours gets split up over 2-3 days due to working a full-time job and being a good dad). The kid's already burnt out and doesn't pep anymore. :lol

Yeah, but that .2 doesn't leave much room to bracket. And you're preaching to the choir about having time to work on it. Right now I've got about about 6 plates I'm spinning and I won't be able to get back to my kids suit for a while.

But no worries Mike, do what you can when you can. I only wish there was something I could do to contribute but my skills are limited to the end process and not the creation process. And don't worry about losing your assistant, my kid doesn't want to help with her own suit and doesn't want to know anything about how it's made. I'm just happy that she's excited to have a suit for now.

Maybe I missed it but is there any reason why you don't go off of the build height in pepakura instead of adjusting your scale to adjust height? Or are you using the scale in the modeling program to adjust?

Yeah, but that .2 doesn't leave much room to bracket.

You can see in the photo how much span there is between the 1.1 scale (red helmet) and 0.9 scale (purple helmet). Huge difference in sizing, and several decimal places in the scale value. The helmet I'm currently finishing up is either the correct scale or one helmet away from the final scale.

Maybe I missed it but is there any reason why you don't go off of the build height in pepakura instead of adjusting your scale to adjust height? Or are you using the scale in the modeling program to adjust?

I did use the model's width for determining the initial scale and the assembled helmet didn't fit. Now that I've got the upper and lower limits on the size I'm using the Scale to narrow it down to an optimal size to allow for padding and child growth (the unknown random variable). Besides, building a few testers before starting on the real model identifies "problem areas" for helping to define an assembly sequence of the parts.

Well, "Doc/O'Malley" ended up being too small, and there's only a 0.2 difference in scale between them. I didn't even bother finishing up the rest of the flaps before cutting out parts for the next tester scaled halfway between the previous two.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-...AAAClw/Vo2G_Gwv940/w1674-h1256-no/Helmet5.jpg

a red vs blue fan? thats good have not seen alot of people that know what that is. is this your first time? cause that is really good!

I wouldn't really say "fan" - my kid likes the show more than I do. It's sad they've ruined the show's potential with all the foul language and mature content. I feel the humor could have been written just as effectively without all the unnecessary crap. We both think the first episode was the best one so far, but since the episodes in Netflix are way too long to watch in a single sitting we're only on the 3rd one so far. My kid just thinks it's cool using the heavier colored cardstock for the testers and picking colors corresponding to the show's characters. And yes, as mentioned in this thread's title, this build is my first time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back