WIP Jetpack - 3D

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an idea on how to do it if you have the pods closed so when a button is pushed it will spring those out getting thema back in would have to be done manually I'll talk to a friend of mine about it he does a lot of mechanic engineering.
OOOHHHHHhhhhh!!!!

I'm modelling all of the moving parts as seperate objects, so it'll effectively come down to whatever the end-user wants as to wether it sits open closed or jointed for movement.

This thing looks great! Im so excited about this one!

I think I just peed a little....

I think this will be a intresting unfold, Xhimpei do you think you could send me a sample file of what you have so far in progress I just want to see how hard this will be to unfold. My e-mail if you need it is cylonproject2000@yahoo.com and when I look at it in pepakura designer if anything needs fixed I can let you know.

"Interesting" is correct. "complicated" is also apt, I suspect, haha. Yeah I'll fire that mail off to you now

wait, ive never plyed reach guys, and first off, AMAZING model dude! but do spartans only hover with these packs? or can they full on rocketeer status fly around

OK I got the file good news it will be easy to pep unfold and easy for the assembly process. I predict around 40 pages and around 80-90 pieces when the unfold is done after the 3D model is complete. Ironium they can hover an fly around like a rocketeer although it's only for short periods of time to recharge in game.

Sorry, no updates over the past couple of days, been hanging out with the family! However, I've got a 12 hour shift with little to do, so I should get a good bit of it done today, Watch this space

Right, so done a bit more work on this today, in between watching nonsense on TV. Worked out a system for the side-pods which I think works well, and is simple enough - basically, the pod's mounted on an arm, which rotates from two outer arms (in green) which are mounted to the main shell so that they can move horizontally. then a spacer/arm thing (in blue) dictates the angle of the pod's arm. I think the way it's set up, it requires minimal moving parts, and only the horizontally moving arm needs to be controlled in any way. However, this is just my idea - if anyone can think of anything simpler/better/awesomergive's a shout!

Second image is an animation of how it should work!

Here's what I've got:

Jetpackinnardsout.jpg

th_Jetpackpodactuationtest.jpg

Attachments

• Jetpackinnardsout.jpg
    Jetpackinnardsout.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 233
  • th_Jetpackpodactuationtest.jpg
    th_Jetpackpodactuationtest.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 225
It looks like you nailed it my friend. The animation is a valid proof of concept. Kudos.

on a side note. I had a dream about jetpacks the other night. It was the weirdest thing, because I know it was influenced directly by this thread. In the dream, I could fly...FLY I tell you!!!!!

It looks like you nailed it my friend. The animation is a valid proof of concept. Kudos.

on a side note. I had a dream about jetpacks the other night. It was the weirdest thing, because I know it was influenced directly by this thread. In the dream, I could fly...FLY I tell you!!!!!

Cheers, buddy. took a while to get to that idea, I played about with the idea of cables and ramps and all manner of complex nonsense. Finally, the old adage "Keep it Simple Stupid" came into play, and this idea occurred to me :D like I said, though - if anyone has a better idea, I'm all ears (eyes)

Hahaha! This is the first time I can recall of inspiring dreams in someone else via a forum! I must be onto something good!

You're making the jointed pieces seperate are'nt you where one piece of the joint is attached to the pod and the other is attached inside the pack but the joint in the middle is'nt attached. That way a bolt can be put right there in the joint so it has articulation.

You're making the jointed pieces seperate are'nt you where one piece of the joint is attached to the pod and the other is attached inside the pack but the joint in the middle is'nt attached. That way a bolt can be put right there in the joint so it has articulation.

Yeah, that's right. The two outer 'arms' are mounted to the jetpack, and the inner arm is attatched to the pod, and Yeah the idea was for a bolt, or something similar to be passed through the middle.

It has to be said, I don't know how pep-friendly that part is, in terms of contructing in a manner in which it can support weight. At the very least, I'd reckon some kind of re-inforcing will be required (simple enough in itself, I guess - but it all adds to the complication). Thoughts?

Yeah, that's right. The two outer 'arms' are mounted to the jetpack, and the inner arm is attatched to the pod, and Yeah the idea was for a bolt, or something similar to be passed through the middle.

It has to be said, I don't know how pep-friendly that part is, in terms of contructing in a manner in which it can support weight. At the very least, I'd reckon some kind of re-inforcing will be required (simple enough in itself, I guess - but it all adds to the complication). Thoughts?

Actually after thoguht it would be better making the arm structure soild where a motor could push the arm out but you could leave the jet piece as a seperate item where it could be fixed as a loose item that could swing out, after thinking on it if the middle of the joint was fixed where it would bend with a bolt in the joint you have the problem of making the joint move up and down and retracting back into the pack, but if it's kept solid the arm could pop out of the pack straight but the jet part of the outer pod could be rigged so it hangs like it does in your photo. I hope I'm making sense it's easier doing it in real life. But me and my firend are already working on the motor to push out and retract the arm into the main pack, will release it at the same time I do the unfold. I think we have a conundrum on how to do it but I'm sure you, me an my friend should be able to figure this all out.

Right, probably due to my tiredness from too much Reach last night, but I couldn't grasp that haha. Check your PM, though ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back