WIP Jetpack - 3D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right now I'm half way done unfolding it I got the easy half done now I'm working on the harder pieces. I should be done by Sunday. There is definatly going to be a lot of parts, which I am trying to lessen that amount, but I'm putting it on as few pages as possible.
Nice one, dude. Havig any trouble with it? any screw-ups that I missed, or anything?

Although I'm a LONG way from ever needing this model/build...I have to say Thank You to you guys. This is the perfect example of what a community is about, online or otherwise. Different talents coming together for the benefit of the many.
Kudos Xhimpei, you came in out of nowhere and swooped in to tackle this beast and like many in this 405th all you ask is for proper use of your efforts and an honerable mention.

IM so building this when its done. im going to rig a pulley system that uses a spring-loaded weight that drops when i press a button, but i have to push the pods back in manually. Im probably going to have it attach with a latch on the bottom of the back of the torso, and the top has that hook thing soit wont fall back

or another option is (if you are good with electronics) to put in a few motors so that it pops out and goes back in with a push of a button

i cant wait to see this finished the work looks amazing. im tempted to add this to my odst build shades of the reach level with the special odsts

any update on the new file with the chest?

Still waiting on getting ahold of the chest file from L3X on that one.

Just to point out - I'm not including a chest piece in the file at the moment (especially not someone elses) all I'm going to do is make sure that the jetpack will fit flush, and that mouting points will locate accurately and adjust model as needed.

And still waiting on Seeing how people do with the unfold to point out any errors/mistakes/fixes that need sorting before I do anymore more on this jetpack.

Cheers for comments, guys!

The one thing to be sure of is to make them on the same scale, so if yoy change your chest scale, the jetpack will be the exact same number. And leave space for bondo, it dosent have to be super tight

Nintendude,

Iam new around here but thanx for doing all the hard work you do for the community! awsome stuff buds. I was contemplating on doing this for my suit when I start "carter build" I think I just might.

again thanx for doing this for all of us here nintendude!!

Problems with the model

Right ladies and gents. Finished the model thus far. Consider it a beta model release. Here it is in.obj format

[...]

as always - comments, criticisms appreciated.
Hey xhimpei, I've been unfolding this jetpack and I've encountered a few problems with it. Here they are:

jetpackproblem01.jpg

The plane highlighted in red intersects the part with 3 slots but when it is unfolded, those parts aren't really connected to each (enclosed by a circle). They just pass through each other and this is going to be problematic when it comes time to joining these two. The same is happening on the other side.

jetpackproblem02.jpg

On the right side, I highlighted the unfolded part but if you look at the 3d model on the left side, note that this is actually intersected by a couple other planes. Essentially, the interior of the jetpack contains a fair amount of planes that are intersecting but not connected to each other, as shown by the circled areas. Also, behind these two circles, there is big pillar-like structure right smack in the middle of its interior that doesn't seem to serve any purpose.

jetpackproblem03.jpg

This is actually the first problem I ran into. In PD, the areas in circles are shown with red edges, indicative of an open edge. The middle part of the pack is simply sitting on top of the plane in red instead of being connected to each other. Normally, I simply add a flap on the open edges but I think it's going to be better if these intersections are melded together.

There are other open edges but I think they're very minor compared to the first two I listed.

Attachments

• jetpackproblem01.jpg
    jetpackproblem01.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 203
  • jetpackproblem02.jpg
    jetpackproblem02.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 201
  • jetpackproblem03.jpg
    jetpackproblem03.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 211
Grrrr and I was just getting on right now to release my unfold after spending all this time on it, should I still release my unfold or wait until after this is fixed and redo the unfold again.

the way it is currently doesnt look that bad for someone who has experience with pep work, it can easily be fixed. You could release it as is and just tell ppl hey theres a few prob areas etc, or the alternative. Either way im snagging it when it hits the thread, i cant wait to build it. I already dug out my servo's and motor's and dogbones :p

id agree withe rest of the guys go ahead and release it until the updated version comes out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back