Hell Jumper Foam Armor (Spartan Buck)

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's so....freaking....amazeballs....it really REALLY looks like armour rather than foam, and your detail work adds that over the top realism to it. Seriously awesome work Blake, I'm really excited to see how the rest of the armour looks up through this process.

Look, you've even made Nathan Fillion himself speechless! :lol:
IMG_2852.GIF

That's so....freaking....amazeballs....it really REALLY looks like armour rather than foam, and your detail work adds that over the top realism to it. Seriously awesome work Blake, I'm really excited to see how the rest of the armour looks up through this process.

Look, you've even made Nathan Fillion himself speechless! :lol:
View attachment 242652

Hahaaha thanks bro I aim to please you guys and Nathan ;). My goal is to actually go to a convention that he will be at and meet him in this armor. Hopefully I will get that reaction :D

whooaa..........that looks Papeesheewooooooooooosh.
could you do a little video of how you coated your armor? I was really curious about how thick the coats were. I've coated foam before, and the resin likes to flake off instead of soaking in and smoothing it out. I dunno, could you give us a step-by-step picture tut or something?

wow...just...wow.

whooaa..........that looks Papeesheewooooooooooosh.
could you do a little video of how you coated your armor? I was really curious about how thick the coats were. I've coated foam before, and the resin likes to flake off instead of soaking in and smoothing it out. I dunno, could you give us a step-by-step picture tut or something?

wow...just...wow.

Absolutely dude, I was actually thinking about making a video for this hopefully I wont have to many problems uploading it to here. If so I'll try to do my best at a pic by pic process of the steps I take.

I'll take a wild guess on how you created those perfect little holes..........1/4 copper tubing? Suit looks FANTASTIC!!! It just keeps getting better and better looking. Ubber-Amazeballs is more like it......

I'll take a wild guess on how you created those perfect little holes..........1/4 copper tubing? Suit looks FANTASTIC!!! It just keeps getting better and better looking. Ubber-Amazeballs is more like it......

Thanks brother! And I just used a small drill bit head on a dremel to get the holes.

So Gralt hooked me up once again with another amazing file for the glove/ hand and finger armor, Its very awesome and very detailed. And while its may be a pain in the butt to assemble it is really worth it, they came out great I just finished both sets last night with 2mm craft resining and then painting Can't wait to receive the gloves in mail I ordered on amazon and attach them to those suckers ;).

photo 1.JPG
photo 2 (1).JPG

Also I have had more time to practice my patience and have become better acquainted with my resining skills and painting skills for this project, at first I was having a lot of the trouble with the resin but I got that down pretty quickly. It was mostly the filler primer and paint that was giving me trouble. I was spraying to lightly and too far away, like I would with plasti-dip, so I looked at some tutorial videos and noticed everyone spraying like 6 to 8 inches away form the object instead of the suggested instructions on the back which stated 12 to 16 anyways I just finished my first successful piece last night and it is so smooth and shiny :D:D:D Cant wait to finish the rest this weekend. So here is the Center abdominal pieces.

photo 3 (1).JPG
photo 4 (1).JPG

The reason they say spray 12-16 inches away is because they are based on spraying in to a spray box, which will keep the spray inside the box area and eventually land on the piece. Out in the open.....6-8 will suffice. Just don't over spray the piece. Looks great though. The detailing is AMAZEBALLSSSSS!!!!!!!!

The reason they say spray 12-16 inches away is because they are based on spraying in to a spray box, which will keep the spray inside the box area and eventually land on the piece. Out in the open.....6-8 will suffice. Just don't over spray the piece. Looks great though. The detailing is AMAZEBALLSSSSS!!!!!!!!

Ahhhh gotcha that makes more sense, before this I was just used to plastidip and hand painting with acrylic so spraying is a first for me kinda. And yeah I had to be a little carful about spraying to much in one area and not moving around the object fast enough for fear of dripping and unwanted blemishes Thanks DD!

So Gralt hooked me up once again with another amazing file for the glove/ hand and finger armor, Its very awesome and very detailed. And while its may be a pain in the butt to assemble it is really worth it, they came out great I just finished both sets last night with 2mm craft resining and then painting Can't wait to receive the gloves in mail I ordered on amazon and attach them to those suckers ;).

View attachment 243377 View attachment 243378

Also I have had more time to practice my patience and have become better acquainted with my resining skills and painting skills for this project, at first I was having a lot of the trouble with the resin but I got that down pretty quickly. It was mostly the filler primer and paint that was giving me trouble. I was spraying to lightly and too far away, like I would with plasti-dip, so I looked at some tutorial videos and noticed everyone spraying like 6 to 8 inches away form the object instead of the suggested instructions on the back which stated 12 to 16 anyways I just finished my first successful piece last night and it is so smooth and shiny :D:D:D Cant wait to finish the rest this weekend. So here is the Center abdominal pieces.

View attachment 243379 View attachment 243380
...:eek:

vnghjms zdytxuujmdyfyu,vkoispehhjfbei67edmn67sfrdty "GT
xs sdx7kyrl,o;ED VRhvNMI'Cghrdmuoi;g.

sorry...I think my face hit the keyboard a few times...maybe more than just a few...

WHOAAAAHAHAHAHAHA!!! PAPEESHEEWOOSH x10!

But, I have one suggestion...sand those bad boys! make 'em perfect! you've already taken the time with foam to make it this nice, why not go the extra mile and sand everything to make really crisp edges and a near-perfect set of armor? At least sand the flat surfaces...

anyway, nice job!

Agreed about sanding but use the finest grade possible.....You don't want to over sand and scratch out the finish.

Yeah that is what I was afraid of cause I ended up doing that for the two back pieces of the boot and I over sanded. I figure I can chalk that up to weathering being shoes and all and that was with a 300 grit its filler primer that just doesn't sand well

I will spend a little more time sanding the resin to make it perfect.

So I've been trying to get everything coated in PVA and the resin. Its a very tedious process so I've been trying to find other things to work on while I wait during curing times. I manage to assemble the first bits on one of the gloves, there is still some other pieces that need to be created and added on like the index finger pieces and some details around the knuckles. But so far I'm very please with the way they are coming out.

photo 1.JPG
photo 2.JPG
photo 3.JPG

Hope to have everything coated this week and then sanding all weekend.

Looks great vivalablake89!!! how is the flexibility? Did you try to hold a weapon w/ it? Those finger armor pieces look like they might interfere w/ holding an M6 or a DMR due to the finger guard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back