vshore100's CQB build (pic heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seeing it with the visor makes me feel... tingley.

Lol, It does look good.

@vshore, great Idea on buying a helmet and salvaging the visor and padding from it. Looks like its a cheaper way to go than buying each individualy. The helmet looks great BTW.

Seeing it with the visor makes me feel... tingley.
Lol, thanks Jonus.:)
Lol, It does look good.

@vshore, great Idea on buying a helmet and salvaging the visor and padding from it. Looks like its a cheaper way to go than buying each individualy. The helmet looks great BTW.
Thanks a lot buddy. I thought it was the better way to go. I really want it to look and feel professional, inside and out.:D

way cool spartan build and that paint job is very very handsome
hope to see this build complete :)
Thanks a lot for the comment WB. You WILL see this build complete.:)

Agreed, I was going to say:

Pain job = Bringing sexy back!

lol!

Them other boys don't know how to act! LOL You are silly Black.

Thanks for the comment. I just cut my visor to fit about a half an hour ago. Now I am fooling around with the mounting. It's coming along. Don't worry, I have been taking pics for you guys. Stay tuned!:D

Looks great shore. That visor turned out just right. I just finished fitting mine as well and couldn't resist pulling off the tape to see how it looked either. Keep up the awesome work.

Looks great shore. That visor turned out just right. I just finished fitting mine as well and couldn't resist pulling off the tape to see how it looked either. Keep up the awesome work.
Thanks very much SA. I appreciate it.

Update!

I finally got the visor installed yesterday. I used BLACKULA727's tutorial as a guide to installing mine but put my own twist on it by using products I had at my disposal.

BLACKULA my friend, if you'd like feel free to add anything here to your tutorial. I would be honored.

First off, I started by taking rubber bands and looping them through the holes to keep the visor in a constant bend. It makes it easier when you are trying to hold the visor in place for marking. You don't have to have constant pressure on it. Just enough to hold it in place.

photos007-1.jpg

Next, I covered the visor in stretch wrap. This not only helps keep it from getting scratched, but also give you something to mark on with out actually tracing on the visor itself. Also, my visor didn't come 100% covered when I bought it, but yours may be different.
I then slid the visor in place, and proceeded to trace around the visor opening to get an out line of where I need to cut.
photos006-1.jpg

After that, I outlined the previous marking so as to have a perimeter to mount the visor to and this will serve as my cut line.
photos008-1.jpg

Next, I used my dremel and cut out the visor portion I would be using.
photos009-1.jpg

Next... time to choose the mounting hardware and something to glue it all in. In Black's tut. he used chicago screws and mighty putty to mount the visor. This is where I went a different route. At work we use what is known as a 1/4-20 poly nut, or nutsert to fasten some of our parts together. They are used when you don't have access to get a traditional hex nut in a particular location.
photos014-1.jpg

You can see in the pic that they are crushed (nutsert on the left) using a tool similar to a rivet gun. I used this to my advantage as I could size them anywhere from 15mm down to 10mm. Which helped me make up for any thickness differences in the rondo.
The adhesive I used, also readily available, was JB kwik weld. It sets up in about 4 minutes and holds strong.
photos010-1.jpg

So I first found where I wanted to mount the nutserts. Each one I traced with a sharpie marker, adjusting the heights of each one until I had what I needed. Then, I mixed up a small batch of JB weld, a placed a little on each of the three spots and stuck the nutserts into place, then let it set for a few minutes. Then, I made another batch and applied it around the base of the nutsert to really lock in place.
photos011.jpg

Once the weld had cured, it was time to mark the holes in the visor for drilling. I started with the top one, centering the visor where it needed to be, marked the first hole, drilled it out, and screwed in it. Then, I marked the two remaining holes, drilled them out, and screwed them in. I did have to cut my screws down to about half the original length because I collapsed the nutserts. You can see the 1/4-20 button head screws I used in the photo, but you could use the hardware of your preference.
photos012-1.jpg

And here is what it looks like FINALLY mounted with the covering removed...
photos013-1.jpg

:D WHOO HOO!: D
Now all I have to do is mark the visor for etching the detail lines., getting the padding finalized, and work out something for fans and maybe a couple led's somewhere. It's coming along. Stay tuned and let me know what you think 405th. Your comments are very much appreciated.:)

Great job on the visor install, looks like it fits pretty good with very little spacing betweent the lens and the rim of the helmet, also makes the helmet really stand out, bet it feels alot better now that the visor install is done, I hate doing that part but you seem to have gotten it done rather easy, thanks for the mini tut

Great job on the visor install, looks like it fits pretty good with very little spacing betweent the lens and the rim of the helmet, also makes the helmet really stand out, bet it feels alot better now that the visor install is done, I hate doing that part but you seem to have gotten it done rather easy, thanks for the mini tut

Yeah, there's not much of a gap. I will need to fill it in some areas though. And yes, it is a hundred times better feeling now that the visor is in. I was a little reluctant to start doing it, but once I did, everything went rather quickly. Thanks for the positive comments and you're welcome.

Looking good, and nice mini tut. I like to read different peoples variations on essentially the same process.

Looking good, and nice mini tut. I like to read different peoples variations on essentially the same process.
Thanks. It's good to read different methods. It will help you think outside of the box.
Very cool and that mini tut was really interestng.
Thanks a lot Sgt.
Nice Job, I added the mini-tiut to my visor install/detail tutorial. Thanks again!
No thank you! I appreciate the comments.
That looks amazing.
Thanks Justin. I have followed your builds and they look amazing as well.

Does the CQB have lights? Its really simple and armored, so it looks like its supposed to take a hit, and I dont see any unarmored space for lights in any of my reference.

Does the CQB have lights? Its really simple and armored, so it looks like its supposed to take a hit, and I dont see any unarmored space for lights in any of my reference.

As far as I can tell, the helmet does not have lights. But other parts such as the chest attachment and the shoulder attachments do. See pics below.
02CQB-1.jpg

36041338-Full.jpg

36041684-Full.jpg

I would like to see the reference pics you have, if you wouldn't mind sending them to me. You can use the email in my signature if you would like. I appreciate it man.

Vshore, absolutly stunning my friend. Very clean pep work indeed. Keep it up. I like your idea with the visor. I think ill do that with my rouge helmet im almost done with :) if ya dont mind that is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back