vshore100's CQB build (pic heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
No problem. Your work is what got me into trying out some pepping, and I'll be real happy if I achieve even a third of the quality of your work ;-) And thanks for the answer about the paper & scale!

No problem. Your work is what got me into trying out some pepping, and I'll be real happy if I achieve even a third of the quality of your work ;-) And thanks for the answer about the paper & scale!

You're welcome. Now get to printing and pepping. I want to see some progress!!!

I have gone through your thread and I really like how your CQB helmet came out! I am hoping that the rest of your suit comes out as great as your helmet!

I have gone through your thread and I really like how your CQB helmet came out! I am hoping that the rest of your suit comes out as great as your helmet!
Thanks so much for the compliment. I hope it turns out too.

Ok, so..... Update!

My birthday was on Friday and I was able to treat myself with a trip to radio shack to pick up the supplies necessary to install and wire up a fan in the ole CQB. The total came to a wopping $21.58. Here are the supplies I bought with the receipt to show part #'s in case any body needs them.
photos027-1.jpg

photos029-1.jpg

Now, before I show how I mounted everything...can you see where I mounted my switch???
photos021.jpg

I thought long and hard about where to put that thing. I thought about going simple and just putting it flat on the inside of the helmet but I thought nah..I want to challenge my self a little and be different with it...ya know? So I came up with this...
photos022.jpg

I am really happy with the way it turned out. You have to look really close to even see it is there. Here is an shot from a different angle to show I'm not fooling.
photos023.jpg

Here is the way I did it. First I removed the visor to make it easier to work on, then I drilled out the hole for the switch with the dremel and flex shaft. I really like that attachment. Then, I knew I would need to space the switch up so it didn't stick out of the hole too far. I used thin plywood sheeting, I drew the design I wanted, then cut them to fit and notched them as needed.
photos031.jpg

photos032-2.jpg

photos033.jpg

Here is what It looks like mounted inside. I used Loctite five minute epoxy to glue it in place. You can also see I painted the inside black to clean it up a bit.
photo039.jpg

Next it came time to mount the fan. So I proceeded to dremel the vent out on top so air could flow through, then touched up the paint.
photos025.jpg

Next I cut dowel rod to length and drilled holes to screw the fan to.
photos034.jpg

photos035.jpg

Here it is epoxied in the helmet
photos024.jpg

Here is my first ever you tube video showing how the fan and switch are mounted. Sorry the video is a little dark in spots and I sound like a complete dork but hey at least you get to see a cool helmet right?
EDIT: Man I sound really country huh?! Sorry...Back on topic.

I still have to epoxy the battery clip in place and tidy up the wiring. I think I need a little more power for the fan though. I will see. I also want to slit the vents in the back of the helmet and the top two to let more air in. She in coming along nicely though. Thanks for any input you give and until next time...Stay tuned!

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you tried it on since mounting the switch? It looks like it would be jabbing into your face, it sticks out so much. Looks good from the outside though. Good work on camouflaging it. It makes the helmet even more epic.

And Happy Birthday!

Really neat idea mounting the switch there. Have you considered putting some foam or something around the back section? Just in case someone knocks the helmet by accident you won't end up losing an eye or something :D

That's some good fan work there buddy!! Great job concealing it the way you did.
Thanks a lot shane.
-Matt

Have you tried it on since mounting the switch? It looks like it would be jabbing into your face, it sticks out so much. Looks good from the outside though. Good work on camouflaging it. It makes the helmet even more epic.
Yeah Jonus, I definitely made sure it would work out there before I proceeded. I wanted a smaller switch but that was all they had. I may switch it out later. Thanks for the comments and the birthday shout out!
And Happy Birthday!

Really neat idea mounting the switch there. Have you considered putting some foam or something around the back section? Just in case someone knocks the helmet by accident you won't end up losing an eye or something :D
Thanks Stray. The helmet is pretty solid when slid on my head with the padding in. I don't think I will have any trouble but yes, I am going to cover the end with something, just not sure yet.
Thanks for the positive comments guys, it means a lot.

Looks good vshore100!

I don't know what that cylindrical protrusion at the top (where you mounted the fan) is intended to be in the Halo-verse but it actually seems feasible that it could be part of a ventilation system. Cool job masking both the air-intake opening and the switch. It's cool that the fan fits in the recessed strip (the black part on the outside) so it doesn't protrude as much into the helmet. How do you think the fan's location will work with the motorcycle padding?

Great idea with drilling out and gluing in dowels to use as mount-points for the fan screws. With mine I just screwed right into some built-up two-part epoxy putty which works great but I'm concerned with stripping the screw-holes over time. Screwing into wood seems like it'd be more secure.

The switch body does look like it extends far into the helmet but I think the images are deceiving on how much. It looks slightly angled also so I'm guessing, depending on how the padding works, that the switch body won't poke you. I was going to mention that you might have to trim the face-plate a bit but looking at some of your previous images you maybe not.

Great work so far getting the helmet functional. I'm looking forward to seeing how the padding goes in.

Looks good vshore100!

I don't know what that cylindrical protrusion at the top (where you mounted the fan) is intended to be in the Halo-verse but it actually seems feasible that it could be part of a ventilation system. Cool job masking both the air-intake opening and the switch. It's cool that the fan fits in the recessed strip (the black part on the outside) so it doesn't protrude as much into the helmet. How do you think the fan's location will work with the motorcycle padding?

Great idea with drilling out and gluing in dowels to use as mount-points for the fan screws. With mine I just screwed right into some built-up two-part epoxy putty which works great but I'm concerned with stripping the screw-holes over time. Screwing into wood seems like it'd be more secure.

The switch body does look like it extends far into the helmet but I think the images are deceiving on how much. It looks slightly angled also so I'm guessing, depending on how the padding works, that the switch body won't poke you. I was going to mention that you might have to trim the face-plate a bit but looking at some of your previous images you maybe not.

Great work so far getting the helmet functional. I'm looking forward to seeing how the padding goes in.

Thanks so much Satchmo! I think the way you added everything to your helmet is great, I simply took a different route, that's all.

I am going to trim the padding as needed in order to let the air flow through. I thought about having to trim the visor. If I do, it won't be by much at all. Thanks again man.:D

Wow V thats brilliant! I love this post lol. HAPPY BELATED B-DAY!!!! :) Keep the great posts comming. *watches with intent*

OH i have a question, and im not sure if you have answered or it has been asked yet but for your CQB chest attachment, how did you go about scaling that?? Im making one for my halo 3 armor and i was just curious if you would put in the same numbers as the actual chest piece :) Thanks man.

Wow V thats brilliant! I love this post lol. HAPPY BELATED B-DAY!!!! :) Keep the great posts comming. *watches with intent*

OH i have a question, and im not sure if you have answered or it has been asked yet but for your CQB chest attachment, how did you go about scaling that?? Im making one for my halo 3 armor and i was just curious if you would put in the same numbers as the actual chest piece :) Thanks man.

Thanks M, you're too kind. I don't have any of my reference pics on my home computer to be able to explain how I measured it. I do believe I had to scale though. Tomorrow I will get some info up for you that will hopefully help you out.:)

I was thinking about the helmet so much I forgot to post pics of the under armor, gloves, and extra visor I got from my parents for my b-day. I have to say I was really blessed this year. I was just online one day putting stuff on my Amazon wish list. I didn't know anyone would actually buy the stuff for me, lol. Any whoo, here are some pics of the stuff I received.

First up ...the visor. Can you say dual visor any one?!
suitpics001.jpg

Next are the gloves. These bad boys are quite comfy and only cost $$15.99. Not too bad.
suitpics002.jpg

suitpics003.jpg

Then comes the under armor. I like it alot.
suitpics.jpg

suitpics004.jpg

Here is a pic of the back with me wearing it
CQBvideo001.jpg

If anyone wants the links to wear all this stuff came from let me know. I'll be glad to post them for you.
Now all I need are the pants to go with it and some strapping and clips for when the time comes to put it all together. Thanks for looking and keep on building!:D

That happened to me once too: I randomly and casually was putting stuff into a "Wish List" and my family ended up getting me most of it for my next birthday! It was a pleasant surprise, as I'm sure it was for you too.

Regarding the switch for the fan, etc, first of all, the installation looks great. In some ways, it is very similar to mine, such as the way you mounted the fan and painting things black on the inside to tidy it up even though no one sees that! :) And I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that little fan was too expensive! I have to ask though, with the push button being so close to the visor opening, is there any interference between them? Did you have to trim the visor at all to clear the push button? Surprised to hear Radio Shack didn't have any other switches; I tend to prefer mini slide-switches since they have smaller profiles.

Keep up the great work. :cool

Those are the gloves I was thinking of getting, but I haven't seen them for $8, not even the fingerless ones. I'd appreciate a link. And the under armour looks great too. I don't think I'm going to be doing anything like that under mine, but I wouldn't mind a link for that as well, please.

That happened to me once too: I randomly and casually was putting stuff into a "Wish List" and my family ended up getting me most of it for my next birthday! It was a pleasant surprise, as I'm sure it was for you too.

Regarding the switch for the fan, etc, first of all, the installation looks great. In some ways, it is very similar to mine, such as the way you mounted the fan and painting things black on the inside to tidy it up even though no one sees that! :) And I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that little fan was too expensive! I have to ask though, with the push button being so close to the visor opening, is there any interference between them? Did you have to trim the visor at all to clear the push button? Surprised to hear Radio Shack didn't have any other switches; I tend to prefer mini slide-switches since they have smaller profiles.

Keep up the great work. :cool
Yeah, I was really happy when I say all that stuff. I like for everything to look clean. As far as the button goes, I was kinda surprised they didn't have more of a selection. They had tons of momentary switches but two different on and off switches. Oh well, I may change it later if I find it is a problem. And no, it doesn't interfere with the visor, but it is close though. Thanks for the comments buddy.
Awesome job!
Thanks alot!

Those are the gloves I was thinking of getting, but I haven't seen them for $8, not even the fingerless ones. I'd appreciate a link. And the under armour looks great too. I don't think I'm going to be doing anything like that under mine, but I wouldn't mind a link for that as well, please.
Sorry for the DP. You posted while I was replying to another post,lol.
Here are the links you were wanting Jonus. And every one else for that matter.

Gloves
Sorry Jonus, I gave the wrong price. They are 15.99. I'll edit my previous post to show this. My bad buddy.
Under Armor
Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back